Most Important Position On The OL: Center (1 Viewer)

Any constructive thoughts on what we can expect from Davison?

I don’t think he can hold up as a 2 gap NT if we run more 34 base this year. Am I wrong?

To your credit, you talk more intelligently than most Falcons fans.

As others have already said about Tyeler D.:

Vs run and gap discipline: good

Collapsing the pocket & pass rush: not so good

Playmaker: For the record, we usually wish former players well when they depart. But if they decide to join the Falcons, they’re dead to us.

:gosaints:

Playmaker: For the record, we usually wish former players well when they depart. But if they decide to join the Falcons, they’re dead to us.

I’ve been to the Dome 3 times for Falcons games. I may have to visit again this year to see some of you rascals. You particularly.

Cafe du Monde is on you

In the thread on Mike Detillier's article, there's a bit at the end about McCoy looking good enough so far to have a good shot at taking the center spot and being the day one starter.

And we have great depth for the OL to battle it out for backup tackle and the backup C/G. I could see Newhouse, Easton and Clapp making it as depth. Michael Ola is Newhouse's biggest competition, IIRC. Clapp has supposedly really improved over the off-season. (Heard that on WWL sports talk and it came from Bobby Hebert, so who knows how true it is and how much of it is just LA love.)

I mean, I think it's really important and I agree with your point, but most people I've listened to who know more than me will tell you it's the least valuable of the 5 positions, usually they're helping on the double team and not dealing with elite rushers and 1v1s and such

I think some of the above is true, and certainly C's are typically not freak athletes that you would find at the T positions...but I think some of it comes down to the type of offense they play in and the QB they play with....I also think there are alot more G's that can play C and vice versa, then there are G's that can play T (for instance)...so it may also be a numbers game, where there are more players that are capable of playing C....I agree that it is a undervalued position because I believe our offensive turnaround began the day we traded Graham and acquired Unger....

In the thread on Mike Detillier's article, there's a bit at the end about McCoy looking good enough so far to have a good shot at taking the center spot and being the day one starter.

And we have great depth for the OL to battle it out for backup tackle and the backup C/G. I could see Newhouse, Easton and Clapp making it as depth. Michael Ola is Newhouse's biggest competition, IIRC. Clapp has supposedly really improved over the off-season. (Heard that on WWL sports talk and it came from Bobby Hebert, so who knows how true it is and how much of it is just LA love.)

I went to school with Clapp's father, really nice guy and naturally i'm hoping his son sticks with the Saints and maybe, against the odds, becomes a starter one day....but it will be an uphill climb for him, in NFL terms he is limited physically but he is very versatile and very sound and if he gets stronger? We will see, I think Cameron Tom has a slight edge over him were it to come down to that....

I think some of the above is true, and certainly C's are typically not freak athletes that you would find at the T positions...but I think some of it comes down to the type of offense they play in and the QB they play with....I also think there are alot more G's that can play C and vice versa, then there are G's that can play T (for instance)...so it may also be a numbers game, where there are more players that are capable of playing C....I agree that it is a undervalued position because I believe our offensive turnaround began the day we traded Graham and acquired Unger....

I went to school with Clapp's father, really nice guy and naturally i'm hoping his son sticks with the Saints and maybe, against the odds, becomes a starter one day....but it will be an uphill climb for him, in NFL terms he is limited physically but he is very versatile and very sound and if he gets stronger? We will see, I think Cameron Tom has a slight edge over him were it to come down to that....
I'm really pulling for Clapp. Loved his attitude at LSU and since signing with the Saints. I saw someone in the grocery store the other day wearing a Clapp LSU jersey. I figured it had to be a family member or friend because it's pretty rare that someone will customize a lineman's jersey for a college program (since they don't sell jerseys with nameplates on them).

I would also like to add; Drew Brees might even value his guards more than his tackles, due to his stature lol.

In the past, Drew has invited some of his skill players out to San Diego prior to TC to work out. Might not be a bad idea to invite McCoy this time around.

A good chance to get to know each another better, one on one. On the field, they could work on under center n shotgun snaps. Off the field, they could get together for some playbook n film study.

IMO, the Saints moved up and drafted McCoy to be their starter at C this year. Having him n Drew get together before the start of TC can only help! ?

Correction, I think she talks more intelligently about football than most fans...period....thanks for adding so many great takes to the board. I think it is important to have other fans contribute and get different perspectives....

I often hear the same nonsense...by no means am I an analyst, but Center is the 2nd QB on offense.

I call them 95%’ers since an elite Center has:
95% of a Guards strength
95% of a Tackles agility
95% of a QB’s intelligence

Classy guy!!! You are welcome any time you would like over here. As a classy fan, I wish you the best, as long as your team finishes 2nd in the South - lol

Hey Playmaker! How do think the Falcons offense will change under the new (i guess old also) Offensive Coordinator? Thx much

I wanted Rich Scangerello (an absolute Star in the making) but we got Koetter. DK will be fine if he remembers the golden rule: the most difficult thing for a defensive coordinator is an offense that balances both the run and pass game. Throwing 65% is simply not a recipe to success in today’s NFL. You guys have seen this over the past two years. It’s my opinion that Mularkey was brought in as run game coordinator which is good for the Falcons

Koetter will still be 4 Verts. The caveat is he will utilize Shannahan WCO terminology in the passing game while strictly adhering to zone wide and tight on the ground.

They are forcing him to utilize Shanny’s playbook and terminology. Not something I particularly like. But this is a hire that makes sense with Quinn moving to HC & DC

Hey guys...doing my bi-monthly check in (sorry if it’s too much for y’all to stomach) and am curious on how McCoy is looking so far. One of the smartest picks any team made in the draft. I wanted the Falcons to draft Dexter Lawrence in the 1st & McCoy in the 2nd. Replaces Mack in two years while also preventing the Saints from effectively replacing Unger.

So a question: Why is Center such an under appreciated position? Jimmy Graham was great but Unger had far greater value for the Saints. I believe it’s just as important, if not more so, than LT.

So how is McCoy holding up so far? I think you got a good one

Yea I would have to agree with you

Generally on a team without a HoF QB. The Center position is the man calling out defensive alignments, protections, and other offensive lineman audibles. Especially when a team has a young QB.

Also the center position is what anchors the rest of the O line. If you have a bad center, the rest of your O Line are going to be in trouble.

As far as McCoy, I would say he is doing about as well as you would think hes doing. Very smart player, who picks up on things quickly. To go with that very strong and physical at the point of attack. Still has a little bit of growing pains. That is to be expected from a rookie lineman who is only in Mini Camp.

We will know more when the Pads are on.

But.....

If I had to take a wild guess I would say hes going to be just fine, and a staple on this team for the next decade.

LTs are more valuable than guards or centers simply due to Parcell's "planet theory". LTs have to be huge, athletic, quick, fast, smart, agile, and somehow stay healthy going against those bendy and fast as lightning edge rushers every single play. There are only so many of those guys on the planet at any given time. But snap to snap, a center is just as important.

Davison is a good DT, but not what you want for a starter. He holds ground well vs double teams, but can never seem to get off of blocks. He can even push the pocket some, but he's rarely able to make it pay off. Serviceable would be a good word to describe him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom