Most influential SNL sketch of all time (1 Viewer)

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What SNL sketch (or series of sketches) would you say has had the greatest effect on pop culture and why.

I say Wayne's World is first as the only one to spawn a successful movie franchise and had tons of quotable material.

Second is More Cowbell.

What say you?

I love cowbell, I have the Christopher Walken SNL DVD. I am gonna go more modern on you and say **** In A Box. People elude to it all the time, particularly on SR.

Wayne's World is first as the only one to spawn a successful movie franchise

:nono:

Actually they have had quite a few successful movies, whether or not you or I like them they have had some success. Unless you were speaking about movies that had a sequel to them...but you still have to count Blues Brothers.

Blues Brothers, The Coneheads and even a Night at the Roxbury. I personally hate a few of their movies and Wayne's World and Blues Brothers probably are the top two but debatable.

I think the wild and crazy guys skit was a pretty influential one -- same thing with cheesbuurger coke

-- same thing with cheesbuurger coke

Yep, that was my initial thought, based on The Billy Goat in Chicago, which, by the way is a great place to go and the skit does a great job of capturing the real thing.

You could say that Weekend Update was the first to manipulate news into entertainment. Now even the news networks do it.

The fake news was pretty influential, and gave way to many shows with that theme (Not Necessarily The News, The Daily Show, etc.) Also I have a sister-in-law that can do goatboy so good it will make you pee in your pants laughing at her.

EDIT: porc beat me to it.

I would second Weekend Update. It has sparked an entire genre of television.

I'd also give points to Dana Carvey's George Bush impersonation. I think that went a long way to defining how people viewed Bush. To this day I hear people quote Carvey and claim they are quoting Bush when really it was Carvey that said it. George Bush really isn't remembered as himself, he's remembered as Carvey's lampoon of him.

Chevy Chase, doing Gerald Ford as a bumbling, stumbling, falling-down klutz.

29chevy.jpg

I got a lot of laughs out Eddie Murphy doing "Mr. Robertson's Neighborhood."

"Hello, boys and girls! You know, Christmas is a special time in Mr. Robinson's neighborhood. It's a time for giving, and look what Mr. Landlord gave me - it's an eviction notice.

Well, that's why Mr. Robinson has to wear this Santa Claus suit to sneak in and out of his building.

But it just isn't a disguise, boys and girls. Because, when I add this little pail here, and when I have this little bell, it becomes a small business. [ rings the bell ]

Yes, Christmas is a season for giving, and for taking! And with this little operation, I figure I'll be taking on about $300-400 a day! Oh, why oh why, must Christmas come but once a year?

But, I think I laughed the hardest at Belushi's "Samuri Chef"...or Dan Akroid's "Bass-O-Matic"...or the "Olympia Cafe" (Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!)...

Let's face it, any of the old-school 70s stuff is better if you're stoned to start with, just like the cast. :hihi:

Al Gore's self-imposed defanging after viewing the SNL sendup of the first Bush-Gore debate is my most influential SNL skit

The first Bush-Gore debate skit (Lockbox v. Strategery) caused Gore to revamp his style for the second debate, which of course led to the second debate skit ("Agree.. agree.. agree..).

hard to top that in terms of "most influential.'

*edit*

What Sooner Jim said ^

You could say that Weekend Update was the first to manipulate news into entertainment. Now even the news networks do it.

Nope, Laugh-In had it back in the 60's, complete with George Carlin, "The Hippy-Dippy Weatherman, with the hippy-dippy weather, man."

Rowan and Martin's, " Laugh-In Looks at the News" went to great lengths to ridiculing Historical Events and surprised everyone years later by foretelling the future in "News of the Future" with unerring accuracy as Dan Rowan actually spoke about Ronald Reagan becoming President to the great amusement of the audience. He further predicted the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 another fact that ultimately came true.

http://www.coolntrendy.com/rts/index.asp?action=page&name=15659&siteid=1701

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom