Most overrated, over hyped player in draft (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that’s the problem. The other teams in that conversation were led by Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Jameis Winston.

That too. There's another generational QB with gaudy college accomplishments every 3-5 years. The only ones off the top of my head that fully lived up to the hype in the NFL were probably Peyton Manning and Cam Newton.

Yeah, that’s the problem. The other teams in that conversation were led by Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Jameis Winston.
Those all had great years as well:

Matt Leinart: 3322 yards 33 TD/6 INT
Ken Dorsey: 2652 yards 23 TD/9 INT
Vince Young: 3036 yards 26TD/10 INT
Jameis Winston: 4057 yards 40 TD/10 INT

Joe Burrow: 5671 yards 60 TD/6 INT

Those all had great years as well:

Matt Leinart: 3322 yards 33 TD/6 INT
Ken Dorsey: 2652 yards 23 TD/9 INT
Vince Young: 3036 yards 26TD/10 INT
Jameis Winston: 4057 yards 40 TD/10 INT
Joe Burrow: 5671 yards 60 TD/6 INT

Different eras, different systems, and some of those guys had big rushing and rushing TD numbers that Burrow didn't. The point is that all of those guys*** were head and shoulders above the rest of the QBs at their prime. The elite of the elite. And only one of them is still in the NFL (and barely).

*** I would not have included Ken Dorsey in this group. To me, the "elite" college QBs since Manning have been Vince, Leinart, Tebow, Cam, RG3, and Burrow with Winston and Lamar Jackson just outside the bubble.

Either way, that's about a 50% bust rate for "the next big thing". There is no such thing as a sure thing.

Also, I should just point out that comparing purely on passing yards is not really a valid exercise. The most prolific passing yardage seasons in CFB history are by guys like Case Keenum, Colt Brennan, and every QB that has ever played for Texas Tech.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom