Most underrated draft pick in Saints history. (1 Viewer)

Vaughan Johnson. When the great Dome Patrol is discussed, everyone talks about Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, and Pat Swilling. #53 rarely gets mentioned. He was a beast.

For me, it's Marques Colston. He was expected to be little more than a camp body and has turned into one of the best receiver's in Saints history. Heck, I still think he's underrated. I think he's been one of the best receiver's in the NFL in his career. The fact that Brees spreads the ball around so much has kept his highlight reel shorter than it would be if he had a QB like Manning who would probably be looking for him first on almost every play.

Colston is one of my all time favorite Saints, though. Can you tell?

Another offseason topic.

We had a thread for the greatest first rounder, so I ask who is the most underrated draft pick in Saints history? Or name a few.

Obviously I'm going to say Roman Harper lol. Dude has made some valuable plays, and has done a lot for this team, but somehow he had been the butt of everybodies jokes.

Wayne Martin is another underrated draft pick. The fact that he only touched one pro bowl disgusts me.

Ricky Williams, and Reggie Bush are iffy. Because in many cases one is underated and the other is overrated.

Will Smith is a huge underrated draft pick. Sure has play has declined, but Ive even heard some Saints fans call him a bust. :jpshakehead:
Then I will go with Stan Brock, and Jim dombrowski.

maybe bc when we need him in pass coverage he only sees the WRs butt bc hes 10 yards behind getting BURNT.

in no particular order:

Colston
Morstead
Jahri Evans and Nicks
Tracy Porter (when he was drafted I scratched my head)
Reggie Bush (even though he was the 2nd pick he goes unappreciated and underrated at times)

as you can tell I'm not that old so my saints history is quite limited lol

Vaughan Johnson. When the great Dome Patrol is discussed, everyone talks about Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, and Pat Swilling. #53 rarely gets mentioned. He was a beast.

I thought about Vaughan Johnson, but he was a 15th overall pick and Jackson is a HOFer and 6x Pro Bowler. Of Course, outstanding career for a 2nd Round pick. However, not sure how this fits the term "under-rated". In any case, to round it out Mills was not part of the Draft. As a result, Swilling came to mind as a 3rd rounder and no HOF induction, 2x All Pro, and 5 Pro Bowls.

The only reason i dont put no threads about jahri Evans is because no one disses him. If anybody even Sussex jahri Evans play they must be on crack. Evans is going on the path towards a possible hall of fame career so long as he keeps it up.

Now harper is different. Harper gets dissed often by fans, so i speak up. Plus I'm a huge fan. Telling me off for being harpers apolegetic is like yelling a saints fan to stop backing up the saints when they are called garbage. Am i correct?[/QUOTE]

so telling someone off for being Tony Romo's apolegetic is like a cowboys fan yelling at a cowboys fan to stop calling romo garbage?

good one bro

I don't know how a second round pick who was the 2nd worst safety in the league this past year can be underrated, but whatever

Weird thread. "underrated draft pick" - What does that mean?

Most underrated player that was drafted by us? Underrated at the time they were drafted or by the end of their time here?

Weird thread. "underrated draft pick" - What does that mean?

Most underrated player that was drafted by us? Underrated at the time they were drafted or by the end of their time here?

Underated during their time here.

I'm questioning your definition of "under rated".

You're defending players who are playing poorly and were drafted high. I'll give you Harper, because he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's a good football player. Most SS's get torched in coverage if they are on a WR or a really athletic TE. Football is evolving to make the SS somewhat obsolete.

I look at "under rated" as someone who does their job well and isn't hyped up. Kinda like Offensive Linemen. You almost never hear their names called out.

So, in that mold, I'd take Jahri Evans or even Strief. They do a darn good job, and not bad for a mid round draft pick and a 7th round draft pick. Evans is clearly better, though.

ROMAN HARPER is a 2 time Probowler ..... Colston is still waiting for his 1st playoff berth ....

I think you meant Colston is waiting for his first Probowl appearance.

You know since 2006 (when Colston was drafted and starting for us) we've been to the playoffs 4 times, right? And he won a Superbowl with us, as did Harper.

Also, Colston has a logjam of receivers in front of him (Megatron and Fitz automatically take up two of the spots). How many all pro SS's are out there in the NFC?

I'm questioning your definition of "under rated".

You're defending players who are playing poorly and were drafted high. I'll give you Harper, because he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's a good football player. Most SS's get torched in coverage if they are on a WR or a really athletic TE. Football is evolving to make the SS somewhat obsolete.

I look at "under rated" as someone who does their job well and isn't hyped up. Kinda like Offensive Linemen. You almost never hear their names called out.

So, in that mold, I'd take Jahri Evans or even Strief. They do a darn good job, and not bad for a mid round draft pick and a 7th round draft pick. Evans is clearly better, though.

U agree strief is very underrated. He is not the best. but he is solid, and gets the job done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom