Most Underrated Player in Saints History? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Who you got?

Marques Colston (WR) ...should have made multiple Pro Bowls
Danny Abramowitz (WR) ...unbelievable overachiever.
Wes Chandler (WR) ...should have NEVER been traded (Why'd you do it, Bum!)
Fred Thomas (CB) ...showed heart, even when playing with one arm wrapped like a Q-tip
Billy Kilmer (QB) ...never had a great supporting cast; went on to do great things with 'Skins

:gosaints:

Marques Colston is arguably not only the most underrated player in Saints history but may be the most underrated player in the entire history of the NFL. The guy was one of the greatest WRs of his era and never made a single Pro Bowl. He is ridiculously underrated.

Colston and Fred Thomas immediately come to mind.

As fans, we understand the greatness that is Colston, but 0 ProBowls??? I mean come on.

Even as fans, it's easy for us to remember the struggles he had over his last season, but for a time, Fred Thomas played with all the heart and clubbed hands he had.

It would be great if this was framed as being in the eyes of a Saints fan. That would eliminate the obvious, like Colston, who didn’t get the national respect. I don’t think any Saints fan under rated him, or those like him.

While I think he’s appreciated, Vaughn Johnson probably was often over shadowed by Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills and Swilling. Vaughn was an absolute beast

I agree with Fred Thomas (Dr. Z picked him as one of two All-Pro CBs one year), Vaughn Johnson, Wayne Martin and Marques Colston. All fine choices.

Some others for consideration:
Eric Martin
Joe Federspiel
Jim Wilks
Frank Warren
Derland Moore
Dave Waymer
Stan Brock
Jim Dombrowski

Last edited:
This has to be #12 and I can't think of anyone even close. Had Colston played for the Cowboys or Giants he'd probably be a HoFer. A players talents are wildly overblown and overrated when they play for big market teams. Victor Cruz is the perfect example of this.

Victor Cruz was an All Pro and a Pro Bowler in 2012. There for a few years he was a media sensation because he was talented and he did dances after scoring TDs. If you turned on sports radio back then you were going to hear a Cruz mention at least once an hour. Cruz was a good player but was he that good? Let's compare his 2012 stats to Colston's 2012 numbers:

Cruz - 143 targets, 86 rec, 1,092 yards, 10 TDs,

Colston - 130 targets, 83 rec, 1,154 yards, 10 TDs

So they have basically the same stats. One guy plays in New York so he goes to the Pro Bowl and is named to the All Pro team. The other guy plays in New Orleans.

To this day if you asked most fans who the better WR was between these two, many would say Victor Cruz. That's simply because they were exposed to Cruz more. But if they were to educate themselves they'd see that their career numbers aren't even in the same ball park.

I agree with Fred Thomas (Dr. Z picked him as one of two All-Pro CBs one year), Vaughn Johnson, Wayne Martin and Marques Colston. All fine choices.

Some others for consideration:
Eric Martin
Joe Federspiel
Jim Wilks
Frank Warren
Derland Moore
Dave Waymer
Stan Brock
Jim Dombrowski
Dave Waymer

Hey... did you forget about Dave Waymer?

j/k :hihi:

:gosaints:

This has to be #12 and I can't think of anyone even close. Had Colston played for the Cowboys or Giants he'd probably be a HoFer. A players talents are wildly overblown and overrated when they play for big market teams. Victor Cruz is the perfect example of this.

Victor Cruz was an All Pro and a Pro Bowler in 2012. There for a few years he was a media sensation because he was talented and he did dances after scoring TDs. If you turned on sports radio back then you were going to hear a Cruz mention at least once an hour. Cruz was a good player but was he that good? Let's compare his 2012 stats to Colston's 2012 numbers:

Cruz - 143 targets, 86 rec, 1,092 yards, 10 TDs,

Colston - 130 targets, 83 rec, 1,154 yards, 10 TDs

So they have basically the same stats. One guy plays in New York so he goes to the Pro Bowl and is named to the All Pro team. The other guy plays in New Orleans.

To this day if you asked most fans who the better WR was between these two, many would say Victor Cruz. That's simply because they were exposed to Cruz more. But if they were to educate themselves they'd see that their career numbers aren't even in the same ball park.
Great post, except for one error: "So they basically have the same stats...."

Colston had 10% fewer targets. Wow - that is a huge difference, and Colston achieved more yards (and roughly the same rec's) with fewer targets. That is a testament, not only to Colston, but also the brilliance of Brees. Also, that was the year without Coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom