Most Underrated Player in Saints History? (1 Viewer)

After giving this more thought, I have to change my answer to Pierre Thomas. Colston is right there, but you can point to the stats and the numbers and (most) people would come around and see that he was a really good player...

However, the numbers wouldn’t do that for PT. PT23 was just so clutch, and he cane through at times when the team needed him the most. If you are not a Saints’ fan, you will never know just how good PT really was.

If I'm just trying to name players that haven't been mentioned...

Malcolm Jenkins
Jermon Bushrod
Jonathan Goodwin

This has to be #12 and I can't think of anyone even close. Had Colston played for the Cowboys or Giants he'd probably be a HoFer. A players talents are wildly overblown and overrated when they play for big market teams. Victor Cruz is the perfect example of this.

Victor Cruz was an All Pro and a Pro Bowler in 2012. There for a few years he was a media sensation because he was talented and he did dances after scoring TDs. If you turned on sports radio back then you were going to hear a Cruz mention at least once an hour. Cruz was a good player but was he that good? Let's compare his 2012 stats to Colston's 2012 numbers:

Cruz - 143 targets, 86 rec, 1,092 yards, 10 TDs,

Colston - 130 targets, 83 rec, 1,154 yards, 10 TDs

So they have basically the same stats. One guy plays in New York so he goes to the Pro Bowl and is named to the All Pro team. The other guy plays in New Orleans.

To this day if you asked most fans who the better WR was between these two, many would say Victor Cruz. That's simply because they were exposed to Cruz more. But if they were to educate themselves they'd see that their career numbers aren't even in the same ball park.

This is one of the best posts I've had the privilege of reading on this board. It perfectly illustrates all the media and player bias we know exist....I would argue that Colston's stats are actually slightly better so i guess the fact he didn't dance lost him a chance to be a Pro-Bowler, right? The Pro Bowl and HOF selection committees/criteria can be just a utter joke.....

Pierre thomas

This was my vote after Colston. He was so important to the success of the offense. Always moving forward instead of sideways (Reggie) and was the best screen pass RB I've ever seen.

I'm surprised that after five pages there are only two mentions of Dalton Hilliard. He wasn't underappreciated by Saints fans, but nationally, he didn't get the respect he deserved. He was my favorite player on the Saints as a kid. I even wore #21 in every sport because of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom