Most Underrated Player in Saints History? (1 Viewer)

It's Colston by far. Just look at the accolades Mike Thomas gets compared to Colston coming in as a second rounder from Ohio State rather than a late 7th rounder from Hofstra who is a franchises all time leading receiver playing the exact same position. Colston (2006-2015) had 9,759 yards and 72 touchdowns. That is 52nd all time ahead of players like Herman Moore, Joe Horn, Sterling Sharpe and tied for 39th in touchdowns ahead of Art Monk, Gary Clark, Michael Irvin, Henry Ellard, Demaryius Thomas. In his era of NFC wide receivers Colston was competing with Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, Torry Holt, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones,

Comparable or lesser wide receivers who made the NFC probowl during Colston's career were Donald Driver, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Anquan Boldin, Sidney Rice, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Victor Cruz, Dez Bryant, Alshon Jefferey, Randall Cobb, Golden Tate, Jordy Nelson... Colston never making a probowl is a total snub and easily the most underrated Saint of all time. Colston was the quiet storm never drawing attention to himself, a complete professional, and frankly during the recent Saints Hall of Fame induction deserved to be introduced first over Reggie Bush and the idea that years later the franchise missed out on this opportunity to put the late seventh rounder ahead of the second overall pick in the draft who was good but not great and then traded and easily replaced by Darren Sproles while Colston is the franchise all time receiving leader shows a lack of foresight mirroring just how underappreciated Marques Colston was.

I agree with Fred Thomas (Dr. Z picked him as one of two All-Pro CBs one year), Vaughn Johnson, Wayne Martin and Marques Colston. All fine choices.

Some others for consideration:
Eric Martin
Joe Federspiel
Jim Wilks
Frank Warren
Derland Moore
Dave Waymer
Stan Brock
Jim Dombrowski

Agree 100% with this list. Saints were just the blight of the NFL during their era so no one knew or cared about them. I remember when Brock finished his career at SD I was pulling hard for him to get a ring.

Another way to look at it is who did the Saints organization undervalue.... I think Bobby Hebert, Morten Andersen, Laroi Glover enter that type of discussion. Hebert was overshadowed playing on an offense lacking skill position talent outside of Dalton Hillard. Playing in a division with Joe Montana and Jim Everett hid a lot of his talent to the league. Mora kept him hemmed in a very conservative offense. I think if the Saints had wide receivers like Montana had in Rice and Taylor and Everett had in Ellard and Flipper Andersen I think Hebert's legacy would be very different in NFL lore.

As far as the non Marques Colston answer I think the most underrated player is Archie Manning. The talent around Manning was truly horrendous. His talents were wasted behind nonexistent offensive lines. His son's NFL journeys speak somewhat to what Archie might have been. I think with better organizational management Archie could have been a hall of fame level talent.

Jabari Greer!

Undrafted, undersized at 5’10” he played much bigger and in his best season was statically better than any other CB not named Darrell Revis. I was so happy he came back from injury during the 2009 season and was an integral part of our success.

No Pro Bowls and even after his best season and 15 player cancellations that year-he was still not invited.

Jabari locked down the LCB position and gets my vote and most under appreciated.

Super bowl season should only count....take your pick McCray, Vilma , Smith, Sharper( :( ). As good as our offense was, any one of these guys made a clutch play during the regular and post season , such an underrated unit.

Are we're talking underrated to all NFL fans or just us saints fans?

If we're talking all NFL fans I'd say Colston hands down.

If we're talking just us saints fans, I believe that's probably way more debatable, but I'll throw David Thomas's name in the hat. He certainly wasn't the most athletic person on the field by any means, but he was a lunch pail player for sure.

As far as anyone that is NOT a Saints fan I'd say Drew Brees, Pierre Thomas, Dalton Hilliard, Marquis Colston..............it's and endless list!

For modern day "right now" Saints fans it's Josh Hill hands down!!

Colby Bockwoldt.

Just kidding. Pierre Thomas would be my pick. He was definitely underrated. He was a huge asset for the Saints. Great vision and balance. And he always seemed to fall forward for a few more yards after a good run. Love that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom