Mountain Lion Soils Jogger's Shorts / Cougar on the Prowl for a Young Man (1 Viewer)

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Six minutes of adrenaline and terror - about the 2:50 mark it charges a few times, scary sheet. I've been doing a lot of backpacking the last few years and running into a mountain lion is probably my biggest fear out in the wilderness (I see plenty of scat so I know they're out there).

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score
I’ve fished/hiked and upland bird hunted for 45 years. I’ve encountered many black bears, one grizzly and a mountain lion (that had thankfully just taken down a antelope on the upper Ruby valley in MT). In all cases the animals, as soon as they were aware of my presence, took off in the other direction, maybe I’ve been lucky, but it supports the notion that animals rarely attack.

That said, thinking a gun is going to protect you is foolishness. Most folks aren’t going to hit a animal moving at 30-40mph, bear/cougar spray is much much more effective....

And there are multiple instances of folks hitting the animal with a bullet but not bringing it down, guess what happens next.....
Fine. Bear spray, a gun....whatever the tool is. My point is that a cell phone isn't gonna help you if you're under attack.

Is bear spray also effective on serial killer/rapist/predators?

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Fine. Bear spray, a gun....whatever the tool is. My point is that a cell phone isn't gonna help you if you're under attack.

Agreed. I think the guy was an idiot, akin to folks that approach bear cubs....

It’s pretty effective on anything really. Think industrial style Mace....and the cans can be holstered and spray up to 30 yards in a straight line. I’ve read a number of bear/cougar attack books and they are highly recommended by the experts....sorry for the outdoors nerdness....

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

While I'm not any of those things, I have been sprayed in the face with bear mace and yes, after maybe 2-3 seconds I couldn't breathe.

OP
Booker

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
I’ve fished/hiked and upland bird hunted for 45 years. I’ve encountered many black bears, one grizzly and a mountain lion (that had thankfully just taken down a antelope on the upper Ruby valley in MT). In all cases the animals, as soon as they were aware of my presence, took off in the other direction, maybe I’ve been lucky, but it supports the notion that animals rarely attack.

That said, thinking a gun is going to protect you is foolishness. Most folks aren’t going to hit a animal moving at 30-40mph, bear/cougar spray is much much more effective....

And there are multiple instances of folks hitting the animal with a bullet but not bringing it down, guess what happens next.....
Yeah, I carry bear spray and keep my dogs leashed when I'm hiking, and figure if I run into anything it'll probably take off in the other direction. Once I make camp I'll let the dogs run around, but from when the sun starts to go down until it's up over the tree line they stay leashed or in the tent.

Don't see why it wouldn't, it's basically just a big can of mace with about a 10-12 yard range. Might not fit too well on a keychain, though.
1602703458606.png

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
After watching that again, that guy was extremely fortunate. Mama was bluff charging, mountain lions rarely do this, they usually charge for real (grizzly’s and black bear do this much more frequently). She was sending him a very clear message “leave my cubs alone and give me space”...very lucky

OP
Booker

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
While I'm not any of those things, I have been sprayed in the face with bear mace and yes, after maybe 2-3 seconds I couldn't breathe.
It's strong stuff. A month or so ago I was backpacking with my kids and was showing my 12 year old how it worked in case he ever needed to use it, but then he actually pulled on the ring and made it spray. Fortunately I was standing to the side and not in front of him, but just from being in the area and breathing some in I could feel it burning my eyes and nose. We had to move immediately.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Not in my house (took me a sec). No, we had to move away from where we had stopped and were standing when he sprayed it.

We were actually backpacking up to this lake...

1602704678065.png
That is a gorgeous high mountain lake....Goldens or cutthroats?

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not in my house (took me a sec). No, we had to move away from where we had stopped and were standing when he sprayed it.

We were actually backpacking up to this lake...

1602704678065.png
where is that exactly? My best friend is moving to Ft. Collins soon and plan on doing some of that next summer ( along with fishing so ill be asking about that too )

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Idiot should have turned and ran the other way as soon as he saw the cub in the road instead of approaching it trying to catch it on video. He is extremely lucky.
Problem with that is if you run away a mountain lion will chase you. It's instinct is to chase things since they are an apex predator. Apparently the best advice is to do what he did, back away, stay big, don't bend over, and make a lot of noise.

His mistake was not immediately backing away when he saw the cub. Still, the momma might have chased him anyway if she came around the bend and saw him backing away. But, if you have your back turned to it, it will not end well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom