Mountain Lion Soils Jogger's Shorts / Cougar on the Prowl for a Young Man (1 Viewer)

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Six minutes of adrenaline and terror - about the 2:50 mark it charges a few times, scary sheet. I've been doing a lot of backpacking the last few years and running into a mountain lion is probably my biggest fear out in the wilderness (I see plenty of scat so I know they're out there).

Note the Kitten at the start ....This guy is very lucky.

there were two.

One silouhetted on the path....the other you dont see until it begins to run....AT HIM which brings the momma his way.

watch at 8/9 seconds...when the mama begins to charge.

Now it may not be a kitten, but something comes at him that was sitting in middle of that road.

Would it have been unwise to throw rocks at it?
I was wondering the same.... would it have had any impact or only angered it more.

Also, it's unwise to go jogging alone in remote areas with dangerous wildlife without the strap. At one point even he said "where's my gun?" um....the gun would have been more effective than your phone bro.

Edit: I am not suggesting he should have shot it but some warning shots may have been in order first to see if that deterred the animal.

There are mountain lions in the Dallas area and some have been spotted in our area. Years ago I was riding my mountain bike on a nature trail. I was round a turn, looked up and thought, "that's a big cat". Then it dawned on me, looked up again, saw it was a mountain lion and locked up the brakes. We were about 30' apart. It stopped in it's tracks too. We both turned around and took off in opposite directions.

Would it have been unwise to throw rocks at it?

I would have. But I would NOT have tried to hit it with a rock. Just make a loud pop near it to make it startled.

Matter of fact looks like he finally threw one at the end.

It can run you down and has very sharp teeth and claws. If you're gonna' throw rocks at it, you better be able to knock it out with 1 or 2 attempts.

Not the best of strategies.

Get big and get loud (and say a prayer or two while trying not to shart yourself)

Last edited:
Idiot should have turned and ran the other way as soon as he saw the cub in the road instead of approaching it trying to catch it on video. He is extremely lucky.

I was wondering the same.... would it have had any impact or only angered it more.

Also, it's unwise to go jogging alone in remote areas with dangerous wildlife without the strap. At one point even he said "where's my gun?" um....the gun would have been more effective than your phone bro.

Edit: I am not suggesting he should have shot it but some warning shots may have been in order first to see if that deterred the animal.

I’ve fished/hiked and upland bird hunted for 45 years. I’ve encountered many black bears, one grizzly and a mountain lion (that had thankfully just taken down a antelope on the upper Ruby valley in MT). In all cases the animals, as soon as they were aware of my presence, took off in the other direction, maybe I’ve been lucky, but it supports the notion that animals rarely attack.

That said, thinking a gun is going to protect you is foolishness. Most folks aren’t going to hit a animal moving at 30-40mph, bear/cougar spray is much much more effective....

And there are multiple instances of folks hitting the animal with a bullet but not bringing it down, guess what happens next.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom