Mountain Lion Soils Jogger's Shorts / Cougar on the Prowl for a Young Man (1 Viewer)

It all depends on the individual animal, but I'd rather take my chances trying to startle it than turning and running, or trying to act big and scary. Some creatures just take that as a challenge. Especially the males.

Running away is the worst mistake a person can make. That is what their natural prey does. There is a good chance they'll
view you the same way and attack. Usain Bolt isn't going to outrun a cougar, or a black or brown bear.

Problem with that is if you run away a mountain lion will chase you. It's instinct is to chase things since they are an apex predator. Apparently the best advice is to do what he did, back away, stay big, don't bend over, and make a lot of noise.

His mistake was not immediately backing away when he saw the cub. Still, the momma might have chased him anyway if she came around the bend and saw him backing away. But, if you have your back turned to it, it will not end well.
I didn't mean literally. He was "running" in the wilderness when he came upon the cubs. I was repeating it for effect.

What he should have done as soon as he saw the cubs is immediately stop and begin backing away as quickly as possible rather than try to creep up on it to get a video on his phone.

zoologists are going to go ape:poop: over this excellent, if ill-advised, home movie

never been afraid of cougars, but mountain lions were always my biggest concern when backpacking

100 pounds of muscle, claws and teeth, and look how quick she is!

zoologists are going to go ape:poop: over this excellent, if ill-advised, home movie

never been afraid of cougars, but mountain lions were always my biggest concern when backpacking

100 pounds of muscle, claws and teeth, and look how quick she is!

a cougar and mountain lion are the same animal

I've seen multiple instance where someone just shoots a gun in the air and these same animals take off in the other direction.

It all depends on the individual animal, but I'd rather take my chances trying to startle it than turning and running, or trying to act big and scary. Some creatures just take that as a challenge. Especially the males.

I meant he should have gotten out of there before mama showed up, not literally run away....just saying spray is more effective than a gun IMO....

a cougar and mountain lion are the same animal

Yep, was about to post the same thing. Most Folks who have spent time in the mountains out west whether hiking or fishing or other activity would be shocked how often they have come in close contact with cougars who invariably leave the area when they detect human presence....

Yep, was about to post the same thing. Most Folks who have spent time in the mountains out west whether hiking or fishing or other activity would be shocked how often they have come in close contact with cougars who invariably leave the area when they detect human presence....
yep, most animals will leave unless they are protecting cubs or kittens. That;s why the man in the OP was incredibly stupid.
The carnivores are not the only ones you have to worry about as well. In North America, a person is more likely to be injured
by a moose than a cougar or a bear. In Africa,Hippos cause more human deaths than Lions.

yep, most animals will leave unless they are protecting cubs or kittens. That;s why the man in the OP was incredibly stupid.
The carnivores are not the only ones you have to worry about as well. In North America, a person is more likely to be injured
by a moose than a cougar or a bear. In Africa,Hippos cause more human deaths than Lions.

Truth, I‘ve had a number of conversations with guides and fairly serious outdoor folks (much more serious than myself) and in almost all cases the animal you least want to run into in a tight space is a moose....

Truth, I‘ve had a number of conversations with guides and fairly serious outdoor folks (much more serious than myself) and in almost all cases the animal you least want to run into in a tight space is a moose....
When my dad was managing the campground, the park rangers told him the same. Bears pretty much mind their own
business. Moose are more aggressive and more prone to charge.

Moose are dangerous, but Buffalo acre the worst because people don’t respect them. Bears people are generally smart enough to be prepared for, and bear attacks to death are rare unless Cubs are involved or they are surprised. In other words make noise. Mountain lions tend to avoid people more so, but here again if feel threatened will be a problem.
But people see moose or bison and think oh look big pretty zoo animal. Let’s go pet it. And it never ends well.
When I was in college at Montana state we would always have our death pool at the beginning of tourist season for Yellowstone. People from out of the area would always pick bears, wolves and kitties. Those who won always chose bison.

Moose are dangerous, but Buffalo acre the worst because people don’t respect them. Bears people are generally smart enough to be prepared for, and bear attacks to death are rare unless Cubs are involved or they are surprised. In other words make noise. Mountain lions tend to avoid people more so, but here again if feel threatened will be a problem.
But people see moose or bison and think oh look big pretty zoo animal. Let’s go pet it. And it never ends well.
When I was in college at Montana state we would always have our death pool at the beginning of tourist season for Yellowstone. People from out of the area would always pick bears, wolves and kitties. Those who won always chose bison.

Indeed, I would never approach a bison or moose. Those animals are no joke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom