Move back to the US, where to go? (1 Viewer)

joeyseven

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
HK, Natchitoches LA, Bloomington IL, HK, Nashville
After almost five years trying in Hong Kong, my husband and I are thinking to move back to the US. Since only two of us, we open to go to where ever opportunities available for us. These are a little background of us:

Husband
- Teacher in English (Rhetoric and Composition & Technical Writing) for university/community college level
- Musician playing rock, rich and solid performance experience

Me
- Work in IT for 9 years, main focus now is project management, business/system solutions design and service support
- Industry: luxury brand crystal, insurance, government (law enforcement system) and pharmaceutical

City Preference:
- jobs opportunities to both of us
- decent live music scene
- average decent weather all year
- friendly and safe community
- affordable house and living expenses
- driving distance to concert events

Understand that there is no perfect place but would like to hear your insights on any city may fit for us.

I was about to suggest Detroit. How about Austin, I hear their PD is hiring. Once my knee heals, I'll apply. So yeah, Austin.

I agree with Austin TexasI've lived here 20 years.Based on your criteria it is the Perfect place for the 2 of you.
Tech town, live music, great city.

Not to sound redundant, but my first though was Austin, also. Maybe Denver or Seattle area? Not sure of the weather in Hong Kong, but those places might be cold.

Austin is a good one!

Anywhere good in Florida or Colorado?

Well, the metro areas of Florida are not cheap. That's an issue. Live music is sorta meh in Fort Lauderdale, but there is a bit of a scene.

You might have better luck in Jacksonville, near Orlando (you have some cheaper communities near there). But SoFla is just getting expensive.

I hate Texas with a hot passion, but like others Austin was the first I thought of
Santa Cruz?
Portland sounded like a good suggestion

Summer in Hong Kong is like the heat in Louisiana and it never snow. We lived in mid-west for four years, so okay with cold.

Will take a look of Portland too. Thought Seattle a nice place as well.

Have a quick check of Austin, seems UT is hiring in many IT posts.

Austin Texas

Austin is awesome. If you like the heat, the summers are a bit brutal, most time, very mild winters. Diversity galore !!!Keep Austin WEIRD.

New Orleans seems to fit your criteria too. Your husband would be able to find a job, but not on a tenure track. He'd likely be an adjunct - my sister is one - and they have no rights when it comes to getting hired and fired every other semester.

Austin is great as well. My second choice of cities to live in only to New Orleans. San Diego or San Francisco would also be good fits, but San Fran is pricier than most for cost of living. Maybe Seattle or Portland or somewhere else in the Great Nrothwest?

In regards to Florida...I would avoid Miami/Ft Lauderdale just because of the insane cost of living and crime/traffic. Orlando sucks...awful land locked city with tons of traffic. I would focus on Tampa Bay area or Jacksonville. Both are growing with lots of job opportunities. Both can be nice places to live if you live in the right areas. They aren't HUGE music scenes like larger cities...but there is definitely stuff there.

Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Denver are nice (depending on location). That's where I would live if I moved back to CO.

Two other options not listed: Nashville and Madison. Both are fantastic cities...job opportunities, rich in culture/music, low COL, clean, relatively safe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom