Move over guns, everyone stock up on ski masks! (1 Viewer)

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You could post this article on the Onion without changing a single word

Buying a ski mask isn’t illegal, but could restricting their sale help prevent crime?

The notion is stirring debate among some Northwest Washington residents after reports of robberies committed by men wearing ski masks. The frequency of the robberies also has caught attention of police, who say one neighborhood crew is frequently purchasing masks at a local sports store for the express purpose of committing robberies.

[...]

On a Metropolitan Police Department-run listserv, Ms. Wheeler was one of several people who broached the subject of trying to discourage the sale of ski masks in the neighborhood, or asked legislators whether there are other ways to ban their sale.

:covri:

So, presuming ski masks are banned, would the lawmakers then target pantyhose? Fabrics and sewing machines? Yarn and knitting needles? When does this insanity stop??

jcollins9

Bring The WOOD!
Reaction score
You could post this article on the Onion without changing a single word

:covri:

So, presuming ski masks are banned, would the lawmakers they target pantyhose? Fabrics and sewing machines? Yarn and knitting needles? When does this insanity stop??
We should demand that it's taken to it's logical conclusion: Clothing control.

We should call for a complete ban on clothing. Whenever a convenience store is robbed, we should sue the clothing manufacturers.
Of course, the extremists will trot out their cliched slogans. "Ski masks don't rob people, people rob people."
We all know it's not true. Ski masks do indeed rob people.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
D.C. law already ban individuals — ages 16 and up — from wearing masks in public under certain circumstances, such as while committing a crime or with “the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse or harass any other person.”
So it's less of a crime to rob a convenient store without a mask than it is to do it with a mask?

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, presuming ski masks are banned, would the lawmakers then target pantyhose? Fabrics and sewing machines? Yarn and knitting needles? When does this insanity stop??
And I'm pretty sure that in Washington, people ski. They may need ski masks.

Symbiote

Reaction score
Maybe we should ban drug dealing and murdere cause that's wrong too, and see how much that prevents crime. Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country yet you wouldn't know it seeing how riddled they are with gang problems. Banning it, don't stop criminals from doing it.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe we should ban drug dealing and murdere cause that's wrong too, and see how much that prevents crime. Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country yet you wouldn't know it seeing how riddled they are with gang problems. Banning it, don't stop criminals from doing it.
So, let's ban laws.

Do you people making this argument not understand that the purpose of law is not to prevent crime, but to define it so that punishment can be applied to those who break it?

If laws stopped crime we wouldn't need jails and cops, but we have plenty and punishing people surely prevents crime.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do you people making this argument not understand that the purpose of law is not to prevent crime, but to define it so that punishment can be applied to those who break it?

If laws stopped crime we wouldn't need jails and cops, but we have plenty and punishing people surely prevents crime.
I'm pretty sure we understand that, but the idea in the article itself was presented as an idea to try to prevent crime (somehow).

So, do you support stricter gun laws? Do you think those laws are created with the intent of preventing gun violence (as their supporters typically say) or so that the guy who faces 27 counts of murder can get an extra 20 years added to his 27 life sentences? I mean...if he didn't already off-himself, putting him out of reach of our punishments?

Why don't we just enforce the existing damn laws instead of trying to think of more? From the article:

D.C. law already ban individuals — ages 16 and up — from wearing masks in public under certain circumstances, such as while committing a crime or with “the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse or harass any other person.” But prosecution under the law appears infrequent. The Office of the Attorney General, which handles juvenile and misdemeanor cases in the District, was aware of only two cases in which juveniles faced charges under the law, spokesman Ted Gest said.
Assuming the law makes sense to begin with.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe we should ban drug dealing and murdere cause that's wrong too, and see how much that prevents crime.
Are you really saying that making murder illegal has no effect on how much murder is committed?

It also seems like you're suggesting that unless a law is 100% effective at eliminating the targeted wrongful activity, we shouldn't have it.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we understand that, but the idea in the article itself was presented as an idea to try to prevent crime (somehow).

So, do you support stricter gun laws? Do you think those laws are created with the intent of preventing gun violence (as their supporters typically say) or so that the guy who faces 27 counts of murder can get an extra 20 years added to his 27 life sentences? I mean...if he didn't already off-himself, putting him out of reach of our punishments?

Why don't we just enforce the existing damn laws instead of trying to think of more? From the article:

Assuming the law makes sense to begin with.
I agree that more laws to not be enforced are stupid.

I agree there are plenty of laws.

I am completely uncaring if new laws restrict magazine size to less than 12 or so.

I think the NRA is a bunch of scum and that they have hindered enforcement and laws to prevent an escalation of access.

And, I believe more than anything else that the only two things that will reduce gun violence are restricting access and fewer guns combined with a long term marketing/education plan that somehow removes the glamour of gun violence and perversions of movies/games and magically convinces people that they have to be more civil.

Of those two long winded policies, only the former is actually possible.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that more laws to not be enforced are stupid.

I agree there are plenty of laws.
Fantastic that we agree. The problem I have with the story in the article in the OP is the look into the mind of a person who begins troubleshooting with "Can we make a law to cure this problem?"

I'm certain that no such law will be written - it's too stupid. However, there are plenty of times that laws are written in such a myopic fashion that they open people up to all kinds of unintended consequences. It's like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. You're so focused on the fly, you disregard all of the things around you.

I am completely uncaring if new laws restrict magazine size to less than 12 or so.
This is a case of "If I don't need it, you shouldn't have it." Or at least, "I don't care if all of our rights are trampled on if I choose not to exercise them. I'll care when it's something that affects me."

I think the NRA is a bunch of scum and that they have hindered enforcement and laws to prevent an escalation of access.
I have no affiliation with the NRA and am unsure how to see them. I also am not familiar with what you speak of.

And, I believe more than anything else that the only two things that will reduce gun violence are restricting access and fewer guns combined with a long term marketing/education plan that somehow removes the glamour of gun violence and perversions of movies/games and magically convinces people that they have to be more civil.

Of those two long winded policies, only the former is actually possible.
Neither of your scenarios are likely to succeed. Obviously, this doesn't mean we shouldn't try something - but we need to look for more pieces to the puzzle than just guns. We've focused on guns long enough that we should largely leave them alone in favor of other solutions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)