Movie buffs, what cha think? (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Makes a lot of sense. You wonder if those fantastic movies like "Good Will Hunting" are a thing of the past.

Makes a lot of sense. You wonder if those fantastic movies like "Good Will Hunting" are a thing of the past.

You can also give a massive counter to this. They still do make these movies on streaming services. The difference is you watched this "gem" all weekend in the past. You would memorize dialogue, and catch something on repeated viewings that you didn't discovery originally. That's the part that's gone now. You watch a surprisingly good movie on Netflix, and that's it.

there's much truth in his comments, but he conveniently omits ridiculous overpay for hollywood scale labor and the absurd costs of star power
Damon reportedly earned a salary of $10 million for the first [Bourne] film. And for the following two films that increased to $26 million. And for 2016’s Jason Bourne, Vanity Fair reports that he earned roughly $1 million per line of dialogue.

Makes more sense than my theory that they're just out of good ideas. Way to many sequel and remake movies around these days.

well i mean he says it himself - those movies made their money on DVD sales. ie people sitting at home watching the movie
where we are now is an inevitability that started with cable
and i'm fine with it really - let the spectacle shows play at the big spectacle theatres and let the quieter shows be for home viewing - i can think of very few 'drama' shows where my appreciation was enhanced by being in a room with strangers

You can also give a massive counter to this. They still do make these movies on streaming services. The difference is you watched this "gem" all weekend in the past. You would memorize dialogue, and catch something on repeated viewings that you didn't discovery originally. That's the part that's gone now. You watch a surprisingly good movie on Netflix, and that's it.
platform is obviously a part of this discussion too
us old folk probably still watch out content mostly on tv type devices
but there's probably an age rubicon where most are watching on tablets and then phones
you 'might' steal 2 hours every once in awhile to watch a movie, but it's doubtful you'll do that again and again
they're watching youtube and tik tok et al

there's much truth in his comments, but he conveniently omits ridiculous overpay for hollywood scale labor and the absurd costs of star power
No doubt. Not unlike the ridiculous salaries of professional athletes. The difference here is Americans are still flocking to live sporting events, while the old school movie theater is about to go extinct. Such is life, I guess.

well i mean he says it himself - those movies made their money on DVD sales. ie people sitting at home watching the movie
where we are now is an inevitability that started with cable
and i'm fine with it really - let the spectacle shows play at the big spectacle theatres and let the quieter shows be for home viewing - i can think of very few 'drama' shows where my appreciation was enhanced by being in a room with strangers

i was thinking along those lines....Movie theaters are for your Marvelesque type of films....

and recently, there seems to be a shift in telling the narrative type dramas in episodic fashion....which is actually better for that type of storytelling, imo

Severence comes to mind because i just finished it a few weeks ago...you can't tell that kind of story in 2 hours

i was thinking along those lines....Movie theaters are for your Marvelesque type of films....
I disagree. Every movie had to go through the box office prior to COVID. The movies that didn't "cut the mustard" may get released outside the theaters, but all of the mainstream movies went to the theaters first. It was how it was done prior to the pandemic. Now, Netflix and other lower budget firms produced content for streaming during that time, but it was not of high quality.

I'm not saying the "in house" productions are not worthy, but very very few are EXCELLENT. When the big dawgs were trying for the next blockbuster, you had a ton of really good movies. Every so often, they hit GOLD. That model is no longer in effect. We will get more content, but less quality. As a movie affection ado, I'm torn. I can watch some old gold 2-3 times over....but not intrigued about a new production from netflix that isn't well done. But, I'm a small demographic. Gen X looking for Denzel Washington type movies.

I disagree. Every movie had to go through the box office prior to COVID. The movies that didn't "cut the mustard" may get released outside the theaters, but all of the mainstream movies went to the theaters first. It was how it was done prior to the pandemic. Now, Netflix and other lower budget firms produced content for streaming during that time, but it was not of high quality.

I'm not saying the "in house" productions are not worthy, but very very few are EXCELLENT. When the big dawgs were trying for the next blockbuster, you had a ton of really good movies. Every so often, they hit GOLD. That model is no longer in effect. We will get more content, but less quality. As a movie affection ado, I'm torn. I can watch some old gold 2-3 times over....but not intrigued about a new production from netflix that isn't well done. But, I'm a small demographic. Gen X looking for Denzel Washington type movies.
You and I are using different metrics - I can’t argue there were a ‘ton’ of good movies- esp not as compared to overall movie distribution
And this is from someone who actively sought out quality movies (esp when I lived in NYC) I was always going to the Angelicka or Film Forum or Worldwide (where I could catch 6 month old movies for $1)
I did see lots of good and many great - but not tons
I probably averaged seeing a movie a week and maybe once a month I’d get a notably good one
I can easily replicate that average with good to great tv series which is now where the ‘quality’ storytelling is

Except that Good Will Hunting wasnt a fantastic movie. :shrug:
547.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom