Movie that had a profound affect on you. (1 Viewer)

Wow! You reminded me of something I haven't thought about in ages. Looking back, I can laugh at myself now but man...

The summer after my 6th grade year, I went to visit my aunt and uncle in the Bay Area for an entire month. (That trip made me realize that I wanted to get as far from home as fast as I could when I finished high school. I realized how small my small town was, but that's a story for another thread altogether. Changed my life.) Any way, my cousins and I begged my uncle to take us to see this movie called Boyz N the Hood. He finally obliged dropping us off at the movie theatre. Needless to say, the movie had a hard impact on 12 year old LiveFromDC. Now for those who don't know, the movie was set in South Central Los Angeles. We were in suburban Fremont, California, LOL. Separated by a few hundred miles from Southern California, I didn't really comprehend the stark difference in distance and environment at the time. All I knew was that I was in California and this movie takes place RIGHT HERE. Walking out the movie and waiting out front for us to be picked up, I think I was trying to hold back tears and pretend to be much more hardcore than I actually was less some mark try to take me out. I still remember holding my chin up and clenching my teeth in an attempt to look cool and unbothered by the violence that might break out at any moment. At the same time, i was really hurting because of how the movie ended. I think we talked about that movie the rest of the summer. Even funnier, when I returned home to southern Louisiana, I was given a little street cred from friends for having seen Boyz N the Hood IN California.
k, my Boys in the Hood story
in sort of the Grammercy area, probably the week it came out
very mixed crowd, packed house
everyone riveted to the story
so tension is building and we get to the Ricky scene, devastated and then we follow Tre and he goes to Brandi's and has his freakout - not a sound in the theatre
then there's the quiet moment where Brandi comes to comfort him and you sense what's going to happen
then in that moment of absolute quiet, some dude in the audience just says "works every time"
the audience just explodes in laughter
outside of RHPS, that was the best audience participation moment in any movie ever

I would say the Thin Blue Line. When I saw that film, I had never seen a documentary like it, and didn't know that a documentary could be so compelling and artistic. I have seen better since, but this one gave me a real appreciation of great documentary film making.

The American version of Old Boy. The twist ending kept me in my seat 20 mins past the credits.

The first 10 mins of UP killed me. I love my wife like crazy and I was bawling and turned it off.

I remembered another of my favorite movies. It is called Night of the Hunter, made in 1955, starring Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish. This movie was directed by Charles Laughton, well known British actor who was the first Captain Bly in the Mutiny on the Bounty movie with Clark Gable as Mr. Christian. This movie is now a cult classic but was not very well liked by critics in 1955 and as a result Laughton never directed another movie.
...Mitchum plays a psychopathic preacher who murders his cellmate after he finds out he hid $10,000 from a robbery the cellmate committed. Mitchum, after getting out of prison, finds, marries, then murders the cellmate's wife and chases after her children when he realizes they know where the money is. It is an awesome, quirky movie, and Mitchum is fantastic in it. See it!!

I remembered another of my favorite movies. It is called Night of the Hunter, made in 1955, starring Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish. This movie was directed by Charles Laughton, well known British actor who was the first Captain Bly in the Mutiny on the Bounty movie with Clark Gable as Mr. Christian. This movie is now a cult classic but was not very well liked by critics in 1955 and as a result Laughton never directed another movie.
...Mitchum plays a psychopathic preacher who murders his cellmate after he finds out he hid $10,000 from a robbery the cellmate committed. Mitchum, after getting out of prison, finds, marries, then murders the cellmate's wife and chases after her children when he realizes they know where the money is. It is an awesome, quirky movie, and Mitchum is fantastic in it. See it!!

Great movie.

I haven't seen it in years.

It's on my list now.

The flying monkeys in wizard of oz scared me something awful as a child

And yet I watched it every year on TV when Singer sponsored it

the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. D-Day invasion. I remember the first time I saw that, my heart was pounding so hard. Really made me think about the soldiers who were a part of that invasion.

Unequivocally, without a doubt....Platoon...i think it may be the only really good movie Oliver Stone ever made...it just seemed so real to me, I was still living in NOLA then and had a few older friends that were vietnam vets (most were former restaurant co-workers), they all said it was the closest to the real thing they had ever seen from a movie....so many great performances in that movie Charlie Sheen will never have a performance close to that, Willem Dafoe and Tom Berenger were brilliant as well....

Meant to add, I was 21 when it came out, i realized how fortunate I was, it hit me hard....

the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. D-Day invasion. I remember the first time I saw that, my heart was pounding so hard. Really made me think about the soldiers who were a part of that invasion.

This is a close second. My father landed a few weeks after D-Day (Omaha Beach), those men considered themselves very fortunate as the Germans had already pretty much been driven from the beach....

Glory
Philadelphia
Empire of the Sun

More recently, Irreversible. I had nightmares for days after that. Would not recommend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom