movies that you finally watched and they didn't live up to the hype or expecations. (1 Viewer)

Inglorious Basterds? Django Unchained? Kill Bill Voulume 1 & 2? I thought all were excellent and right up there with his best work. In fact, Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill might be his best work. Now, if you said Jackie Brown or Dusk Til Dawn, I wouldn't disagree.

Yeah, didn’t like any of those films. Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained I found pretty taxing, some good parts to be sure, but overall pretty ridiculous takes on history and suffering from the same cliches- tense conversations at tables, punctuated by unrealistic gunplay finishing with a grand explosion. Kill Bill 1 and 2 was just sort of a weird pastiche.

The recent Tarantino film I found the most successful is the one few talk about and most Tarantino fans don’t like that much - The Hateful Eight.

I very curious to know- on what platform did you watch it? Ive seen it on a few times lately on basic cable, where it’s edited and overdubbed, etc- and i dont even bother to watch.. Django is a movie where you have to see it in it’s original form, cuss words, nudity, violence and all, to get the full power and impact.

I watched it on Netflix. I mean, there was lots of n-word and some brief nudity in it. If there’s an even longer version of it out there, I really don’t want any part of it. It was definitely 3+ hrs.

Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Have a couple of good friends who love that movie, after years of them referencing it, i finally watched it, and i was... underwhelmed.. I think a lot of it is that when you watch a movie 20 or 30 years after it’s released, it just loses something.. i mean, just imagine watching Back to the Future today for the first time- the music, the skateboarding, the fact that I’m not a teenager like Marty anymore but a middle aged person- all that would combine to make it just ok.. i love it, but partly why is becuase it takes me back to the first time i saw it (twice) in an actual theater in New Orleans East... There are a few movies that hold up well over the decades, where a viewer might be impacted as much as someone who sees it upon first release- but those are very, very rare.
i'd be curious to see if comedians had a similar shelf-life
there are those like Pryor and Carlin who probably have lasting appeal
thinking not only of the shticky ones like Emo Phillips and Steven Wright but basically any comedian who was on Carson - i imagine they don't age well enough for contemporary audiences to really get into their stuff
obviously content (topical comedians) would be the hardest translate, but i think basics like timing and ways to structure build-up/punchline has changed significantly

Yeah, didn’t like any of those films. Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained I found pretty taxing, some good parts to be sure, but overall pretty ridiculous takes on history and suffering from the same cliches- tense conversations at tables, punctuated by unrealistic gunplay finishing with a grand explosion. Kill Bill 1 and 2 was just sort of a weird pastiche.

so basically just like any QT film :shrug:

The recent Tarantino film I found the most successful is the one few talk about and most Tarantino fans don’t like that much - The Hateful Eight.

i actually enjoyed that one but it felt too similar to Reservoir Dogs to me...

people seem to forget about True Romance and Natural Born Killers...he didn't direct either of those but he wrote them...True Romance is a fantastic movie and NBK is basically like most of QT's movies except for the trippy aesthetic

so basically just like any QT film :shrug:

i actually enjoyed that one but it felt too similar to Reservoir Dogs to me...

people seem to forget about True Romance and Natural Born Killers...he didn't direct either of those but he wrote them...True Romance is a fantastic movie and NBK is basically like most of QT's movies except for the trippy aesthetic

True Romance was a good flick, didn’t know he wrote that one.

Tarantino films are ok. It seems like he picks a genre and then does an homage based on his favorite cult classics from that genre. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There are other directors who do the same thing with consistently better results imo.

I guess I feel that The Hateful Eight is all of the things that you said about Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained and Kill Bill. Hateful Eight just looked like he threw a bunch of good actors in a movie because he could and then covered them in blood.

And, I don't see Basterds or Django as takes on history, but rather alternate history or as Tarantino has often said, movies that the characters from movies like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs would watch. I mean Kill Bill was clearly a tribute to old Kung Fu movies that were never realistic and always featured highly questionable physics and fight scenes. And Basterds was a send up of old war movies that glorified war. It was always supposed to be ridiculous and over the top.

But hey, art is subjective so you like what you like. And I'm guessing you prefer more realistic movies. I just haven't heard of anyone saying that the didn't like Basterd or Kill Bill.

True Romance was a good flick, didn’t know he wrote that one.

Tarantino films are ok. It seems like he picks a genre and then does an homage based on his favorite cult classics from that genre. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There are other directors who do the same thing with consistently better results imo.

Like who?

The Harry Potter movie series. I really liked Harry Potter 1, but I kept waiting for Harry to rise to power. Disappointingly, he remained a bumbling dingus throughout the whole series. And it felt chopped up as compared to the books.

about expectations and movies in general, I think by far my most enjoyable movie experiences have come from movies that either didn't have hype or I was blissfully unaware of it. And some of my most disappointing experiences were in cases where somebody had blowd up my expectations. Don't touch my expectations. I'm good over here.

I guess I feel that The Hateful Eight is all of the things that you said about Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained and Kill Bill. Hateful Eight just looked like he threw a bunch of good actors in a movie because he could and then covered them in blood.

And, I don't see Basterds or Django as takes on history, but rather alternate history or as Tarantino has often said, movies that the characters from movies like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs would watch. I mean Kill Bill was clearly a tribute to old Kung Fu movies that were never realistic and always featured highly questionable physics and fight scenes. And Basterds was a send up of old war movies that glorified war. It was always supposed to be ridiculous and over the top.

But hey, art is subjective so you like what you like. And I'm guessing you prefer more realistic movies. I just haven't heard of anyone saying that the didn't like Basterd or Kill Bill.

Yes, I probably do prefer more realism when it comes to “period piece” movies. That’s because they suspend my disbelief better while watching them. I get lost in the movie rather than sit there thinking about stuff like “what is the bs about people in Texas never seeing a black man on a horse before” or “Hitler, Goebbels, and Herman Goring at a movie premiere in Paris, ok I guess.”

I mean I get it. The movies are supposed to be ridiculous. I like a little nonsense in my entertainment, but not too much. Just a taste preference, like you said. I think Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are great, The Hateful Eight, pretty dang good. And the rest, well-executed schlock. None of them terrible, but versus the hype? Meh.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I thought 12 Monkeys was totally boring and uneven....

Django Unchained , havent seen it all the way through but not at all what i expected and some parts were hard to believe , jackie Brown i did like

2 movies that I have always heard are amazing and I should watch, I have finally watched over this quarantine.

fast times at Ridgemont high and Blazing Saddles.

Both, I just didn't find that funny. I'm sure if I would have watched them in my 20s I would have laughed way more. I just don't think they have withstood the test of time.

Any movies that you have found to have occurred to you?

I agree about Fast Times, I didn't find it to be funny. Now these next two movies I've only seen the first half of them but I wasn't impressed at all, Fargo and Scarface.

about expectations and movies in general, I think by far my most enjoyable movie experiences have come from movies that either didn't have hype or I was blissfully unaware of it. And some of my most disappointing experiences were in cases where somebody had blowd up my expectations. Don't touch my expectations. I'm good over here.

That's not a problem for me. There's no way I could've hyped up seeing the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie more than I did and it exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't shut up about waiting to see it for an entire year. I watched the trailers dozens of times and I rarely watch them a second time on purpose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom