movies that you finally watched and they didn't live up to the hype or expecations. (1 Viewer)

Vega$$aint

Resident GoldenTee Junkie
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 movies that I have always heard are amazing and I should watch, I have finally watched over this quarantine.

fast times at Ridgemont high and Blazing Saddles.

Both, I just didn't find that funny. I'm sure if I would have watched them in my 20s I would have laughed way more. I just don't think they have withstood the test of time.

Any movies that you have found to have occurred to you?

Did you watch the made for TV version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or the uncut version?

The original does not cut when Phoebe Cates takes off her top. That alone should make it worthwhile.

I agree though theres not much to rest of the movie. Except for the Jeff Spicoli/Mr. Hand scenes. It was basically fun YA movie for those who came of age in the 80s, maybe early 90s. The further away you get from the 80s, more dated it feels.

dvd version

blazing saddles is entertaining, but i kinda agree. i don't think it is close to the hype. i love mel brooks, but spaceballs and robin hood men in tights, are both far superior.

also, there are several movies i haven't liked compared to positive reviews. unfortunately, i am not in the right frame of mind to list them.

I am watching John Carpenters Body Bags right now and it lives up to all the hype

Not that I have ever seen or heard of any hype on it

I think some movies just cant be taken out of their time context. Blazing saddles may be one of those that you would have to appreciate the irreverence for that period.

examples of both types

The Graduate - IMO did not age well

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - if you don't pay attention to the 70s clothes then that movie could be set in any mental ward in any era.

Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Have a couple of good friends who love that movie, after years of them referencing it, i finally watched it, and i was... underwhelmed.. I think a lot of it is that when you watch a movie 20 or 30 years after it’s released, it just loses something.. i mean, just imagine watching Back to the Future today for the first time- the music, the skateboarding, the fact that I’m not a teenager like Marty anymore but a middle aged person- all that would combine to make it just ok.. i love it, but partly why is becuase it takes me back to the first time i saw it (twice) in an actual theater in New Orleans East... There are a few movies that hold up well over the decades, where a viewer might be impacted as much as someone who sees it upon first release- but those are very, very rare.

Anything by Quinten Tarantino not named Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

Django Unchained is an amazing movie.. though Once Upon a Time in H’wood, while i tried so hard to love it- left me very disappointed.

I watched Django Unchained the other day for the first time. I was hopeful, but honestly it was like most of his movies for me. About an hour too long and kind of stupid. That’s not to say that I thought it was terrible, I’ve certainly seen many worse films. But yeah, not amazing in my book.

Anything by Quinten Tarantino not named Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

Inglorious Basterds? Django Unchained? Kill Bill Voulume 1 & 2? I thought all were excellent and right up there with his best work. In fact, Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill might be his best work. Now, if you said Jackie Brown or Dusk Til Dawn, I wouldn't disagree.

i find that most comedies don't live up to the hype....

I am watching John Carpenters Body Bags right now and it lives up to all the hype

Not that I have ever seen or heard of any hype on it

Dear God Mark Hamill is in this :covri:

Edit: and he is getting the brown eye

I watched Django Unchained the other day for the first time. I was hopeful, but honestly it was like most of his movies for me. About an hour too long and kind of stupid. That’s not to say that I thought it was terrible, I’ve certainly seen many worse films. But yeah, not amazing in my book.

Im very curious to know- on what platform did you watch it? Ive seen it on a few times lately on basic cable, where it’s edited and overdubbed, etc- and i dont even bother to watch.. Django is a movie where you have to see it in it’s original form, cuss words, nudity, violence and all, to get the full power and impact.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom