Moving...sheesh (1 Viewer)

TWICE!?!!!?
I think I avg a move once every four years
Even before kids I wasn't exactly have a spartan sensibility about me (I've moved my albums maybe 15 times but have only had an record player for 7 of those moves)

If you've never moved with a toddler I HIGHLY recommend it (along with the 8 yr old whining about being bored and saying "you wanna play Portal daddy" while I'm packing the Xbox)
You never realize how much crap you have until you put it all in boxes. In my case I didn't realize how much crap my wife and son had until I MOVED all their boxes--100 boxes to be exact.

Next time I'm paying someone to box up all the crap while I drink beer.

When my son moved a few years back, the best thing he did was hire someone to put all his belongings into the UHaul. He put everything into boxes, but the guys who came did such a great job, they wrapped the couch and chairs, mattresses and box springs, etc., and packed everything so tightly that nothing shifted at all across seven states. I think it only cost him about $400 also (three guys for about 4 hours).

It was still painful as all get out, but I hate to think about trying to do what those guys did ourselves.

When my son moved a few years back, the best thing he did was hire someone to put all his belongings into the UHaul. He put everything into boxes, but the guys who came did such a great job, they wrapped the couch and chairs, mattresses and box springs, etc., and packed everything so tightly that nothing shifted at all across seven states. I think it only cost him about $400 also (three guys for about 4 hours).
That is a bargain.

I moved about once a year for 3 years when I was in my mid 20s when I had a lot less stuff. I haven't moved for 22 years and it still feels too soon. Part of my problem in thinking about moving again is in deciding what is truly meaningful/essential to me that is worth the effort (which wouldn't be a bad mental exercise). Some of it's obvious (like Mommy's ashes, lol) but some is just a packrat mentality to not let anything go because "I might need it someday" (thanks, Dad, for that. He has his test papers from when he was in grade school! Interesting to go through it but, man, let that stuff go). I got rid of a lot of clutter years ago, but I just can't bring myself to an even larger purge. So it's part effort and part how much it costs to move all this "needed" stuff.
Even before kids I wasn't exactly have a spartan sensibility about me (I've moved my albums maybe 15 times but have only had an record player for 7 of those moves)
Yeah, I wish I had that spartan sense. It's just so hard to let go of stuff even though it's nuts to keep yourself laden with it when it's essentially useless. I used to do that moving albums thing, too, but I finally got rid of most. It felt good.

I have moved about 10 times in my 33 years. I just moved in July of 2015 and also July of 2016.

2015 was from Baton Rouge to Dallas for work and 2016 was from the rental to a house we bought.

The first move we paid guys to load and unload our uhaul. In total it cost around 350 on each end for four guys. We had about 75 boxes plus all the normal 4 bedroom house full of junk. I drove the truck which across state lines was a huge savings.

The second move, We packed and paid a company to load and unload and drive our stuff. It was well worth it. It cost us around $1200. The cost of a uhaul was going to run around $400 and loading and unloading was quoted around $800 so we figured why not let them drive their truck. They disassembled and assembled the furniture. They asked the wife where at in the rooms each piece should go. They showed up at 9am and by 330 pm our new house was setup.

Next time I'm hoping to pay someone to pack and unpack the boxes. Packing and unpacking sucks. It sucks worse with a 11 month old, 3 year old, and 5 year old.

And then there is the annoying things, updating your address everywhere. Updating your bank address, getting and fighting old landlords for deposits. Paying deposits on utilities. Waiting around for the cable and Internet guy. Ordering a pizza and realizing you sent it to the old house.

I've moved a handful of times... My mom on the other hand seems to move (in other words, I move her stuff), roughly once every 2-3 years for the last 20 or so years.

I've got it down to a science, and there are certain boxes I tell her to just label as 'don't unpack', because while she won't get rid of it... I know she'll never need/use it.

Personally... I'm looking forward to my next move.

My current residence was chosen due to proximity to family. Being this close has been a blessing. Truly. From the help they give with the kids, to my wife's peace of mind having her parents nearby... I'm basically Raymond, and I don't mind a bit.

My next place however will focus on more of what *I* want out of a house.

At least an acre. Hopefully more... a house that my wife adores, and a garage in which I can fit at least 4 or 5 projects along with at least one 2 post car lift along with rolling beam hoist to pull engines & then relocate them to the workbench area.

Yeah... I can't wait to move. :9:

I've moved a handful of times... My mom on the other hand seems to move (in other words, I move her stuff), roughly once every 2-3 years for the last 20 or so years.

I've got it down to a science, and there are certain boxes I tell her to just label as 'don't unpack', because she while she won't get rid of it... I know she'll never need/use it.

Personally... I'm looking forward to my next move.

My current residence was chosen due to proximity to family. Being this close has been a blessing. Truly. From the help they give with the kids, to my wife's peace of mind having her parents nearby... I'm basically Raymond, and I don't mind a bit.

My next place however will focus on more of what *I* want out of a house.

At least an acre. Hopefully more... a house that my wife adores, and a garage in which I can fit at least 4 or 5 projects along with at least one 2 post car lift along with rolling beam hoist to pull engines & then relocate them to the workbench area.

Yeah... I can't wait to move. :9:

You're gonna have to move to the sticks to get that brah.

We have moved three times since last July. My kids are currently 3 and a half and almost two. It has been nuts. I have three storage rooms in two states. We should finally be settled into our house by the end of this year (and will have to move one more time to get in there).

Yes, it freakin' sucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom