Moving to Denver (1 Viewer)

Oh, and it looks like the "fake" liberals outnumber the true ones. :hihi:

From Diane Ravitch's site:
Jeannie Kaplan, who served two terms on the Denver school board, describes here how the usual monied privatizers managed to win every seat on the Denver school board at the same time that “reformers” went down to defeat in nearby Jeffco and Dougco.

The money rolled in from Democrats for Education Reform (DFER)–the hedge funders–and other national reform groups to keep the privatization agenda in control, with not a single dissenter. Some of it is “dark money,” the kind that is hard to trace or not revealed until the election is closed.

*DFER - proof that covering your bases gets results and people fall for the stupid R and D blindly.

So, stick with Jeffco and Dougco? Where the people spoke and kicked the fake-liberal corporate-reformers out.

This thread is a microcosm of where we are today.

Rickboy, who is not even a Trump supporter and a guy who I have seen to be a generally reasonable commenter, makes an off-hand light comment about "making fun of liberals", in the EE no less, and in what is otherwise a upbeat question about relocating . . . and the response is a flood of red thumbs, an accusation of being alt-right, a one-star rating, and an general presumption that he only wants to associate with conservatives.

And yet Trump is the one who we ridicule as thin-skinned - who we lampoon for having to respond to every comment or joke made in his general direction. He is indeed those things and they aren't good . . . but it seems to me that there's quite a bit of that going around.

At least on here, we should be better than this.

Rickboy, who is not even a Trump supporter and a guy who I have seen to be a generally reasonable commenter, makes an off-hand light comment about "making fun of liberals", in the EE no less, and in what is otherwise a upbeat question about relocating . . . and the response is a flood of red thumbs, an accusation of being alt-right, a one-star rating, and an general presumption that he only wants to associate with conservatives.

And yet Trump is the one who we ridicule as thin-skinned - who we lampoon for having to respond to every comment or joke made in his general direction. He is indeed those things and they aren't good . . . but it seems to me that there's quite a bit of that going around.

Fun, I get to disagree with Chuck a bit and it's not NASCAR thread:ezbill:

3 things
- I think rickboy opened himself up a bit when he went in for that second liberal jab. First time? Ok, funny second time? Well now you're needling
- I also was taken aback by the tonal shift. At the same time, I'm not a woman, black, gay or Muslim (or Jewish); and I'm not about to tell someone who is what their level of sensitivity should be
- it sounds like you're being kinda judgey telling others not to be judgey - just sayin

All the same, I still love you in a way that would make mike pence squirm just a bit

So that said, does anyone by chance have any realtor recommendations in the Denver area? I have zero contacts out there. I need one that really knows the school systems out there.

Rick...

I highly recommend this lady (See below) as she was very patient when we purchased a home and moved my daughter to Colorado! We started in Denver, looked at seemingly 100 homes before ending up in Pueblo West where the housing was much cheaper. She showed us homes everywhere from Idaho Springs to Walsenberg. I'd give her an A+.

Susie Stewardson
Broker Associate
Office: 720-512-2600 x 1117
Personal Website

Colorado Home Finder Realty
3900 S Wadsworth Blvd, Suite 340
Lakewood, CO 80235
Phone: 720-512-2600 x 1117
Fax: 303-957-5467

44750.jpg

At least on here, we should be better than this.[/QUOTE]

Very well said sir!

Well said, sir!

I took the comments in reply as being tongue in cheek and meant in the same vein as the OP, with one notable exception. :idunno:

Not sure all of us warranted a chuck smack down. :covri:

Rick, I think you'll have better luck outside the Denver city limits with schools - less corporate-sponsored disruption.

To help get you up to speed:

Denver: When Schools Eat Schools

Why Denver's New Education Reform Model Should be a Warning Sign

Jeanne Kaplan: A Whole New Meaning to Flexibility and High Standards

I'll keep an eye out for any programs well-suited for your son. There are advocacy groups who may recommend one district or school over another, and hopefully you'll get the local scoop. :D

Also, what's your dog count now? :hihi: Have the camera ready the first time they see real snow.

Thanks, I'll check those out. We're currently targeting Boulder and St Vrain schools because of their autism programs. However, on a downside the housing up there is quite pricey when compared with Douglas County or JeffCo schools.

Fun, I get to disagree with Chuck a bit and it's not NASCAR thread:ezbill:

3 things
- I think rickboy opened himself up a bit when he went in for that second liberal jab. First time? Ok, funny second time? Well now you're needling
- I also was taken aback by the tonal shift. At the same time, I'm not a woman, black, gay or Muslim (or Jewish); and I'm not about to tell someone who is what their level of sensitivity should be
- it sounds like you're being kinda judgey telling others not to be judgey - just sayin

All the same, I still love you in a way that would make mike pence squirm just a bit

That's why I simply stopped responding. I poked and was poked back. To me, the Alt-Right is a new name for White Supremacists. I guess I was a bit ****** about that.

Rick...

I highly recommend this lady (See below) as she was very patient when we purchased a home and moved my daughter to Colorado! We started in Denver, looked at seemingly 100 homes before ending up in Pueblo West where the housing was much cheaper. She showed us homes everywhere from Idaho Springs to Walsenberg. I'd give her an A+.

Thanks, I'll add her to the list. I spoke with a buyer agent yesterday and had zero luck with him. The guy didn't bother reading the email I sent with all our details and new home requirements.

On the bright side, our selling agent is advising me to sell at a price that will get us $100K of profit. So that'll help offset the cost of the new house a bit.

Thanks, I'll check those out. We're currently targeting Boulder and St Vrain schools because of their autism programs. However, on a downside the housing up there is quite pricey when compared with Douglas County or JeffCo schools.

Yeah, Boulder's going to be really pricey. Have you looked at Louisville, Lafayette or Superior?

If you're thinking about Erie, I'm guessing it's the most affordable housing. It's also close to the town of Firestone, which has a Popeye's. :9:

Yeah, Boulder's going to be really pricey. Have you looked at Louisville, Lafayette or Superior?

If you're thinking about Erie, I'm guessing it's the most affordable housing. It's also close to the town of Firestone, which has a Popeye's. :9:

Yea, Erie is at the top of the list but I'm looking closely around the part of Broomfield that is in the Boulder school district. There is an elementary school there that has one of the better autism programs in the state. However the homes in that school zone start at $600K or more. My understanding however is that it shouldn't be a problem once our son has an IEP (education plan). He'll then be assigned to a school with an autism program, even if he isn't in that school's zone.

We're going to fly back to Denver, later this month, to check out two more Autism centers in the south Denver area. That would give us an option of putting our son in a school in Douglas, Littleton, or Cherry Creek districts.

Schooling and therapy are pretty much our main drivers at this point. I can live anywhere that is an hour from the airport.

Thanks, I'll add her to the list. I spoke with a buyer agent yesterday and had zero luck with him. The guy didn't bother reading the email I sent with all our details and new home requirements.

On the bright side, our selling agent is advising me to sell at a price that will get us $100K of profit. So that'll help offset the cost of the new house a bit.

That's great that you can turn a decent profit. :9: You will be happy with Susie. I put her through hell with all of the indecision on my part... but she persevered. that entire Denver metro area is her specialty.

Yea, Erie is at the top of the list but I'm looking closely around the part of Broomfield that is in the Boulder school district. There is an elementary school there that has one of the better autism programs in the state. However the homes in that school zone start at $600K or more. My understanding however is that it shouldn't be a problem once our son has an IEP (education plan). He'll then be assigned to a school with an autism program, even if he isn't in that school's zone.

We're going to fly back to Denver, later this month, to check out two more Autism centers in the south Denver area. That would give us an option of putting our son in a school in Douglas, Littleton, or Cherry Creek districts.

Schooling and therapy are pretty much our main drivers at this point. I can live anywhere that is an hour from the airport.

I understand your main concern is your son's school, but where are you and/or your wife going to be working?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom