Article Moving Ty Montgomery to receiver key to Saints success (1 Viewer)

He has great balance, core and quick feet. I enjoy watching him run routes and navigate to find space. He will be a great mismatch and will have some numbers due to "higher priority" players such as Kamara, Cook, Thomas and Sanders. If any of those 4 AND Hill in at same time...what does a defense do? This year will have some wrinkles and won't be one-dimensional. Payton seems excited about the bar being raised in the NFC South (at least on paper).

No offense Chuck, but I don't buy into the premise of the article that Ty's success will be as a near pure WR. If any coach in the league has displayed the interest and ability to use offensive playmakers who play multiple roles effectively, it's our coach, SP. Ty is freaking perfect for SP's offense creating more doubt in defenses minds before snap, "Are the Saints going to use him as a RB or will they split him into the seam right before snap." Ty provides a similar type threat as Kamara, receiver or RB? The answer is "both" and on every snap.

Ty will be another chess piece for SP to drive D-coordinators nutz as well as insurance to not have to change much of the offensive scheme if Kamara were to get injured.

Stud WR1
Stud WR2
Stud Receiving RB
Stud Receiving TE1
1 Stud positionless Offensive Weapon

Good Receiving RB2
Questionable WR3
Questionable WR4
Questionable WR5
Potentially Good Rookie TE2

If only one or two from the bottom list even become consistent contributors, this is an obscene amount of weapons for our passing offense.
TQS, Harris, and Montgomery all have the potential to make that happen.

Trautman comes billed as an all around TE... blocking and catching. Proving that he can do both at the NFL level will get him on the field soon and a lot.

As for Montgomery, unless there's some recent drop off in his game... he's exactly the type player that Payton looks for at the WR/RB position. A chess
piece that he can line up all over the field, motion around, and find match-ups for. The fact that he's a solid special teamer with return skills (if needed), almost
makes him a lock in my opinion. He would line up in the backfield and in the slot for us. With our roster being what it is, I'd think he would be a WR/RB more
than a RB/WR, if that makes any sense.

Basically that is how I envisioned the role for him when the signing was announced. He's our 5th WR who can also get some touches in Kamra's place where it be rest, injury, or blown out situation.

Full article here:
I can't get past the title of that article.

That's a ludicrous statement.

I don't think anyone is saying to themselves "man if we don't use Montgomery as a receiver this season, our offense will struggle".

And I'm a big fan of the Montgomery signing.

Unless the writer meant the key to Montgomery's success as a Saint. Then I withdraw my comment.

This is what Payton loves. A versatile player such as Montgomery who can play multiple positions on offense. Payton loves to scheme players like Montgomery into a lot of mismatches. He fits our offense perfectly. It would be a travesty to move Montgomery exclusively to WR.

I listened to most recent “Saints Talk” podcast with Underhill earlier today, and his co-host asked “do you think the Saints will play more 11 or 12 personnel next season?”

It really got me thinking... the Saints can’t really be charted accurately for personnel packages like that.

If the Saints have Ty Montgomery and Taysom Hill on the field together, who’s to say that Taysom Hill is/isn’t a TE, WR, RB, or moves into QB? Is Montgomery a RB or WR?

With Sean Payton it's all about creating mismatches, so even if they signed Montgomery to be a receiver expect him to move around some and maybe even get some handoffs in preseason in the interest of keeping defenses guessing.

Yep. Having Montgomery be a legit threat to run the ball will keep defenses honest and allow Payton to create mismatches.

I’m not necessarily overly excited about this guy. I think he’s a fairly solid, versatile player who’s proven he can be productive, but not a star by any means. If he takes the roster spot of a “hopefully the light will eventually come on for him” type of player, then great. We probably got better by the signing .

Stud WR1
Stud WR2
Stud Receiving RB
Stud Receiving TE1
1 Stud positionless Offensive Weapon

Good Receiving RB2
Questionable WR3
Questionable WR4
Questionable WR5
Potentially Good Rookie TE2

If only one or two from the bottom list even become consistent contributors, this is an obscene amount of weapons for our passing offense.
TQS, Harris, and Montgomery all have the potential to make that happen.

Trautman comes billed as an all around TE... blocking and catching. Proving that he can do both at the NFL level will get him on the field soon and a lot.

As for Montgomery, unless there's some recent drop off in his game... he's exactly the type player that Payton looks for at the WR/RB position. A chess
piece that he can line up all over the field, motion around, and find match-ups for. The fact that he's a solid special teamer with return skills (if needed), almost
makes him a lock in my opinion. He would line up in the backfield and in the slot for us. With our roster being what it is, I'd think he would be a WR/RB more
than a RB/WR, if that makes any sense.
2 bishop chess pieces.
Moving diagonally from RB to WR any given play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom