Moving up in the draft this year for a QB: What would it take? (1 Viewer)

The couple days I watched I wasn’t all that impressed with anything I saw

Our only chance to move up inside of the Top 3 would be to trade a combination of picks and players.
So who do you want to trade away?
Lattimore?
Kamara?
Ram?
We don’t have much high-end trade bait in house. Thomas is gonna walk away free.
I would part with one of these players for a franchise QB.
Our best option may be free agency, or my favorite scenario, if possible, is trading back our #29 for a 1st in 2024, then having 2 premium picks in next years draft.
Of these players I would trade Lattimore after what I saw from our DB’s this last year.
I think we would not miss him that much and the cap relief would go a long way in helping us out.

With all the holes in this team I just don’t think 1st round QB would be the smartest thing to do

It wouldn't be ideal but I think it depends on what we can do in free agency or trade to address QB. Otherwise, I think QB has to move up the draft priority list.

My preference would be to get a veteran in here who can start right away and target a QB in the 2nd or later. I think there could end up being some solid value at the position after the first round.

The team has to come away with a physical inside runner, a WR who can work short yardage and make contested catches, and improved OL depth, for any QB to have a chance at success.

Hooker will last until the third round, we are reaching big time if we take him at 29, or even at 40.

To be clear, I am not advocating that we do this, I just wanted to outline for the "Let's draft a QB crowd" what would be required to go get a QB.

I'd love to sign Carr and draft Hooker in the 3rd or 4th and see if we can develop him.
Just sayin…

Going into the draft last year, some “experts” had Alontae Taylor going anywhere from round 3 thru round 5… and the Saints took him in round 2.

Year before that, Payton Turner was projected round 2-3 before Saints took him in round 1.

I’ve been fooled before.. we all have.

…and the Saints have shown time and time again, if they want a guy, they draft him.
If they like Hooker, it actually makes more sense to take him late in round 1 because it gives you that 5th year option.

Just sayin…

Going into the draft last year, some “experts” had Alontae Taylor going anywhere from round 3 thru round 5… and the Saints took him in round 2.

Year before that, Payton Turner was projected round 2-3 before Saints took him in round 1.

I’ve been fooled before.. we all have.

…and the Saints have shown time and time again, if they want a guy, they draft him.
If they like Hooker, it actually makes more sense to take him late in round 1 because it gives you that 5th year option.
The fifth year option is becoming less effective especially if that QB does blow up. The really good ones have been trying to get extensions by year 3-4.

The fifth year option is becoming less effective especially if that QB does blow up.
A agree. What's the true value of the fifth year option?

IMO, it gives the team an additional year to evaluate a QB that sat his rookie year, and possibly his sophomore year. That's the true value.

Just say no, I don't see a QB in this draft that's worth a shot even if we had the #10 pick. Plus a rookie QB is not gonna move the needle this yr and that's what DA is concerned about, keeping his job. This is why I wanted Denver's 1st next yr because there are a few very good QB prospects in 24

I’m not a huge fan of Young but I would make a big move for Stroud. I didn’t watch much of Levy.

For the Saints to move to the first pick to take Bryce Young, it might take our first-round pick in 2023, 2024 and 2025; our second in 2023; and our third in 2024.

For the Saints to move to three or four to take Stroud, the package would be comparable, if a tad less.

Let's assume for the purpose of this post that we rank the top quarterbacks:

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Will Levis
Anthony Richardson.

What would it take to get them? Let's have a closer look below:

Who has the first 10 picks and what are their team needs? (Per pff.com)

QBs.png

Chicago loves them some Justin Fields, so they won't be drafting a QB, but if you want to get your top pick for QB, you would have to trade up to number 1, because Houston, will likely take their choice of QB at number 2. Arizona has too much money invested into Murray to take a QB at 3, if your preferred QB is still available, you may could trade to the number 3 spot, because in all likelihood, the Colts will draft Young or Stroud, whichever one is still there.

This is where things get hairy. Seattle could resign Geno Smith, or they could draft a QB right here and while I don't expect Detriot to be in the Market for a QB, the next 3 teams, Raiders, Falcons, and Panthers are all in need of a QB. So it's my opinion that you would have to trade up to the number 6 spot with Detroit in order to get one of the "Top Tier QBs."

What would it take to get us there?

Let's have a look at the NFL draft pick value chart

Draft value.jpg

The number 6 pick is worth on this chart about 1600 points. Our number 29 is worth 640 and our number 40 is worth 500.

It would take our first and second this year, plus probably our 1st next year to move to number 6. That is a lot to give up assuming the top 2 rated guys are off the board, unless we really like one of the others.

"But SWJJ, every year QBs fall in the draft, just like Aaron Rodgers did!"

Assuming one (or more) of the guys we are targeting make it out of the top 10, how far could they fall?
Well, not far.

Needs2.png
There are 3 teams in a row that have QB needs in the mid rounds. Let's assume Texans have taken their QB of choice at number 2, so they could be amenable to letting us trade ahead of the Jets, to snag the last top tier QB. Their number 12 pick is valued at 1250. Our 29, again worth 640 and our 40, again worth 500, could be paired with a late round pick (probably next year) to jump up and take our QB at 12.

This would not look like last year, where we make the trade ahead of time. This would go down the day of the draft, assuming one of the top dogs slide out of the top 10.

I really don't see a way that we could afford to use draft capital to move into the top 10, but if a QB we want falls out of the top 10, we could go get him at number 12 via trade with the Texans.

Your thoughts and feedback are welcomed.
Great post! Trying to move up into the top of the draft is too risky. We've already seen how giving up multiple firsts for Davenport hasn't panned out. We have so many needs that it would be better, IMO, to fill those than try to reach for a QB. We need to find another starter, but we might have to settle for a modest upgrade over Dalton in the short term until we get in the right situation to find the next franchise QB.

That's what "they" said last year.

There will very likely be three QBs taken in the first five picks of this draft.
That's every year. The question is can we identify a sleeper? Some prospects will be overvalued, like Zach or Mitch while others will be slept on, like Mahomes, LJ, or Hurts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom