Reaction score
IntenseSaint said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad141fa

why has the DHS bought and retrofitted almost 2800 of these vehicles

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

IMAGE#1

How are they being retrofitted?
im not sure, just like any military vehicle you have about 6 different versions. They woukd be great for border patrols

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I heard one of the versions shoots water and has a slide on the back.

Just fulfilling Obama's campaign promise of bringing water parks to the underprivileged.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score

I'm not sure the source that you're getting that from.

Reddit's r/Libertarian post on this linked to Jim Hoft's blog, which is consistently wrong -- over the last month he's claimed that Obama's trying to prevent all vets from owning guns (leaving out the part that it's mentally ill vets who have had their benefits placed in a guardianship that are prohibited from buying guns) and that THIS VIDEO is evidence of Gore endorsing Sharia law.

I won't bother digging up all the links -- most can be found on this reddit thread -- but basically it boils down to yes, the US is refitting ~2700 MRAPS, but it's not clear how many of those are going to DHS.

The DHS includes agencies that certainly could use MRAPS -- Border Patrol, ICE, the Secret Service, even parts of FEMA -- so the DHS owning or using them doesn't automatically mean some evil conspiracy is afoot.

It always amazes how quick the Nutjob faction is at jumping on the most benign things and turning them into evidence of some evil Obama plot.

:jpshakehead:

OP
chad141fa

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
drob8785 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad141fa

I'm not sure the source that you're getting that from.

Reddit's r/Libertarian post on this linked to Jim Hoft's blog, which is consistently wrong -- over the last month he's claimed that Obama's trying to prevent all vets from owning guns (leaving out the part that it's mentally ill vets who have had their benefits placed in a guardianship that are prohibited from buying guns) and that THIS VIDEO is evidence of Gore endorsing Sharia law.

I won't bother digging up all the links -- most can be found on this reddit thread -- but basically it boils down to yes, the US is refitting ~2700 MRAPS, but it's not clear how many of those are going to DHS.

The DHS includes agencies that certainly could use MRAPS -- Border Patrol, ICE, the Secret Service, even parts of FEMA -- so the DHS owning or using them doesn't automatically mean some evil conspiracy is afoot.

It always amazes how quick the Nutjob faction is at jumping on the most benign things and turning them into evidence of some evil Obama plot.
Good, so you are in agreement and have no idea either just an assumtion based on the different departments that fall under DHS. Guess thats it, no need to ask any further questions

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
http://www.defense.gov/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=4701

They were purchased by the Marines, not DHS.

Navistar Defense, L.L.C., Warrenville, Ill., is being awarded an $879,923,195 firm-fixed-priced delivery order 0023 under previously awarded contract (M67854-07-D-5032) for the procurement of 2,717 units of rolling chassis; 10 engineering change proposals; and 25 contract data requirements lists, for MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. Work will be performed in West Point, Miss., and is expected to be completed by the end of October 2013. Procurement funds in the amount of $879,923,195 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The original contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity.
The name of the source for the DHS rumor? Modern Survival Blog: http://modernsurvivalblog.com/government-gone-wild/latest-homeland-security-vehicle-street-sweeper/

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
Good, so you are in agreement and have no idea either just an assumtion based on the different departments that fall under DHS. Guess thats it, no need to ask any further questions
Actually, no.

I provided links to evidence that suggests that this wasn't anything out of the routine.

Anyone with half a sense could spend 2 minutes Googling this and see that this isn't a big deal.

You can't expect to post this garbage without sources and expect not to be challenged.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's nothing new for DoD assets to be re-utilized elsewhere.. The fact that they only cost $320K or so to repurpose/retrofit each (not taking into account Navistar corporate profit margin, etc) is kinda surprising to me.. Figured it would be more.

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Defense.gov: Contracts for Monday, January 09, 2012

They were purchased by the Marines, not DHS.

The name of the source for the DHS rumor? Modern Survival Blog: Latest Homeland Security Armored Vehicle

According to wikipedia there are 20,000 mraps in service in our military. Plans are to mothball 12,000 of them. Curious as to why the Marines would place an order for 2717 new units. I could see DHS using some of the units that are being put in storage but why would the Marines purchase new units? That is almost a billion dollar order.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Obama is just the cause du jour. Take it all the way to Reagan naming Bush as his Vice Presidential nominee, as far as my cognizant awareness goes. There were those who insisted this was the beginning of a governmental takeover, as Reagan by all accounts hated Bush with a passion, and it was a complete surprise that he selected him, prompting many to assume that some behind the scenes entity forced the choice on him. I assume it has been that way well before that as well. Just part of the landscape in America. It just seems more prevalent due to the increased ability in modern society to share opinions on a much broader scale.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's nothing new for DoD assets to be re-utilized elsewhere.. The fact that they only cost $320K or so to repurpose/retrofit each (not taking into account Navistar corporate profit margin, etc) is kinda surprising to me.. Figured it would be more.
Yes, and its exactly what should occur.

Chad, are you asking just to see what they are being refitted for or surprised that its happening? We have different types of MRAPs now. Just like the 5Ton back in the day being used for wrecker, firetruck, cargo, watertrucks....this is what the Army/Gov. does.

We want the Government to continue our cost-saving methods of fulfilling needs. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see them on the border.

OP
chad141fa

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Yes, and its exactly what should occur.

Chad, are you asking just to see what they are being refitted for or surprised that its happening? We have different types of MRAPs now. Just like the 5Ton back in the day being used for wrecker, firetruck, cargo, watertrucks....this is what the Army/Gov. does.

We want the Government to continue our cost-saving methods of fulfilling needs. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see them on the border.

Yes, I would like to see the big picture:

The number of vehicles each agency gets
The purpose of each vehicle package

Like I said earlier in my post that these would be ideal for border patrol, but if 2700 vehicles is correct that number just seems high.

I could be wrong, but state and local police departments are responsible for purchasing their own "Swat" type vehicles correct?

Do they plan on pushing down to state and local departments with high population areas that could use them in the future.

At the parades I noticed the JP Swat vehicle looked like a civilianized MRAP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom