Muhammed Ali Jr. detained by immigration officers (1 Viewer)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
If that is true, then they need to sue and the officers present need to be fired immediately.

But what that lawyer said seems fishy - hard to believe that federal officials would ask, much less repeatedly ask, those questions.
But again, that is absolutely horrible if true.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's consistent with the JPL scientist, American citizen, US passport, who was detained coming back from South America recently. He was forced to give up his company phone and password so they could examine all his contacts on social media and emails. He was even signed up for a program where he was prescreened to avoid some of the airport security. He's brown and has a foreign sounding name, though. I guess that's all it takes now. :idunno:

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
More news outlets are reporting it now. You may just need to be rich to travel abroad while having a Muslim name to afford a lawyer to sue. To bad for the average US citizen Muslim Joe who wants to take his wife or family on a vacation.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
It's consistent with the JPL scientist, American citizen, US passport, who was detained coming back from South America recently. He was forced to give up his company phone and password so they could examine all his contacts on social media and emails. He was even signed up for a program where he was prescreened to avoid some of the airport security. He's brown and has a foreign sounding name, though. I guess that's all it takes now. :idunno:
In and of itself what the scientist said to happened to him is not consistent to what Ali Jr's attorney is alleging.

Being served an Inspection of Electronic Devices is rather routine. The ACLU did a FOIA request on the use of such inspections and found in an 18 month perios or so from 2009-2010 that it was used over 6500 times - half of those were used on U.S. citizens.
So while I can see having big issues with such use, it is not uncommon. I think being repeatedly asked your religion as some sort of reason for detainer is (or at least should be) unheard of.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What is consistent, though, is the targeting of US citizens who either are Muslim or look like they might be from the Middle East. I do get the distinction you are making, but harassment and profiling are not okay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom