Muppet rankings (1 Viewer)

Frank Oz

To this day this scene makes me smile every time I see it

Good article on Frank Oz, it’s a shame Disney doesn’t want him doing the Muppets anymore
=================
I ask Frank Oz if he feels like the Paul McCartney to Jim Henson’s John Lennon, the one left behind to carry the flame after his revered creative partner suddenly and shockingly died. Oz takes a deep breath and turns his head to the side, thinking.

If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, your childhood was shaped by Henson and Oz and their work with the Muppets, just as the kids who grew up in the 50s and 60s did so in the shadow of Lennon and McCartney.

Even if you weren’t a devoted fan of the Muppets themselves, you couldn’t help but take in their influence osmotically, what with The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, the Muppets movies and Labyrinth swirling in the atmosphere.

I was pretty much raised on the Muppets, just as I now raise my own kids on them, and I cannot remember a time when Henson and Oz’s creations were not stamped in my mind’s eye.

Eventually, Oz comes up with an answer to my question that he deems satisfactory. “I don’t, in part because I [originally] worked for Jim, but then we became brothers, and things changed, of course. But I’ve never thought about it that way before,” he says a little sadly…….

Oz hasn’t worked with the Muppets since 2007, and I assumed he’d retired. I assumed incorrectly: “I’d love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn’t want me, and Sesame Street hasn’t asked me for 10 years.

They don’t want me because I won’t follow orders and I won’t do the kind of Muppets they believe in,” he says. He can’t bear to watch the Muppets or Sesame Street today: “The soul’s not there. The soul is what makes things grow and be funny. But I miss them and love them.”…..

Good article on Frank Oz, it’s a shame Disney doesn’t want him doing the Muppets anymore
=================
I ask Frank Oz if he feels like the Paul McCartney to Jim Henson’s John Lennon, the one left behind to carry the flame after his revered creative partner suddenly and shockingly died. Oz takes a deep breath and turns his head to the side, thinking.

If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, your childhood was shaped by Henson and Oz and their work with the Muppets, just as the kids who grew up in the 50s and 60s did so in the shadow of Lennon and McCartney.

Even if you weren’t a devoted fan of the Muppets themselves, you couldn’t help but take in their influence osmotically, what with The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, the Muppets movies and Labyrinth swirling in the atmosphere.

I was pretty much raised on the Muppets, just as I now raise my own kids on them, and I cannot remember a time when Henson and Oz’s creations were not stamped in my mind’s eye.

Eventually, Oz comes up with an answer to my question that he deems satisfactory. “I don’t, in part because I [originally] worked for Jim, but then we became brothers, and things changed, of course. But I’ve never thought about it that way before,” he says a little sadly…….

Oz hasn’t worked with the Muppets since 2007, and I assumed he’d retired. I assumed incorrectly: “I’d love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn’t want me, and Sesame Street hasn’t asked me for 10 years.

They don’t want me because I won’t follow orders and I won’t do the kind of Muppets they believe in,” he says. He can’t bear to watch the Muppets or Sesame Street today: “The soul’s not there. The soul is what makes things grow and be funny. But I miss them and love them.”…..

I told you all back in April he was the best Muppet

I recently read Jim Henson's biography (which was excellent - actually teared up at his death)

But their approaches were completely different and opposite to what I would have assumed

There was one story that Jim had finished a scene then more or less took the Muppet off and dropped it on the floor to Frank's horror and Frank would come up with elaborate backstories for his character to get to the "soul" of the character, which was something Jim never bothered with (Frank always thought that the voice was the least of what made the character)

Just considering their personalities I would have though it the other way around

Last edited:
Haven't listened but if Animal isn't #1 then the list is wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom