Murray a downgrade? (1 Viewer)

I did not see any good things out of Murray last season. For some odd reason they went to him over Cook on 3rd/4th and short on what felt like hundreds of times. He was stuffed 70+% of those runs. But then again, that Minnesota OL was atrocious for most of the season and the playcalling was equally as bad. Cook, who I view as a top 10 RB in the league, was not much more efficient on a per rush basis.

Murray is average. But having two premiere NFL rushers was never something that could last forever. I’d like a rookie late in this draft. There’s always a good power runner to be had on Day 3. Think Jay Ajayi, Jordan Howard, Alex Collins, etc..
I think Murray is an upgrade. He’s bigger 6’3” 220, faster 4.38 vs 4.58, he can do everything Ingram can dinabd he’s a better short yardage back. We won’t see him stuffed short ala Ingram on 3rd and 4th and short. He’s cheaper, much cheaper, we save 4 mill for a better back. And he’s been a steady back. It didn’t take him 4+ years before he wasn’t meh like MI.

He’s going to mesh fine with Kamara, Payton has a clear vision for the player like he always says. He’s going to be a good vet presence for Kamara as well, don’t overlook that guys. I guarantee Murray took less to put on the black and gold and we’ll hear what he turned down soon.

This is a good day, yes it’s sad because MI was great for us but he wanted too much money, period. No #2 RB is worth 8mill per sorry, right around never will Payton and Loomis be “that” team. Murray has never had any suspensions or PED use like MI.

I appreciate all MI did but it’s a business and it’s time to once again have faith in Loomis and Payton! Murray will shine, mark my word!

Without even discussing football ability, the locker room and the sidelines will miss Ingram terribly. His role and leadership for this team cannot be replaced easily. This is like losing Jenkins all over again, in a way.

He was not the only leader in the locker room. There are others.

Murray is shaping up to be the perfect backup to Kamara. 70/30 carry split, maybe we see more Murray in the backfield, Kamara split wide? Plus, in our cap state, the fact we got him for 4 years @ ~$4 million/year? That's just ridiculous.

exactly, hence my point. Mark Ingram, as great a person i think he is, hasn't done anything in this offense that Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Tim Hightower, or even Julis Jones hasn't done. Running back are successful in this offense because of off the offensive scheme, not because they are "good power backs". Its elusive backs like Deuce, Thomas, and Kamara that have the most success.
And you do realize MI is the second leading rusher in saints history? Some of y’all remind me of the clown of a commish leading the circus

I personally think Murray's downgrade from top to bottom in comparison to Mark. Especially when it comes to the locker room love fest, the heart and soul, the antics, and AK. Murray's the new dude and who knows how he'll mesh. But in terms on the field, if we're really going to "feature" AK, then a guy on Murray's level should be fine. From what I'm vibing, it's going to be the Alvin Kamara show in terms of our run game next season. Or at least, that's what a move like this sort of implies. But who knows? Maybe we're not done addressing the position. What if Payton and Co. already have their eyes on someone in the draft. It happened when coach fell in love w/AK's game and he dropped within trading distance and we made the move to draft him. Losing Mark and signing a role player-type RB like Murray leaves a ton of room for improvement. What if a guy like Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery or Damien Harris were there in the 2nd? Or we had a shot at Benny Snell, Rodney Anderson, or Ozigbo on day 3? Murray's solid and serviceable, for sure. But I think we'll be using one of our picks to select a RB at some point in the draft.

Last edited:
I like this move. It's a no brainer since Ingram was already out the door. Some people get way too emotional with there love of players, this is a business in the end. And I agree, I see us picking up a UDFA runningback that plays special teams as well. Someone in between Murray and AK. Let's support and evaluate the players on the roster.

I hope he excels in New Orleans but yes to me he is a downgrade. In more than just one way.
He won’t replace Mark on the field or in the locker room IMO.

To be fair, he is a month younger and he ran a 4.38 at the combine compared to Ingram’s 4.53.

Whew, ok, I stand corrected, we just got younger guys. Oh and 6 years ago Murray had better numbers at the combine...that is a relief. Hey someone check the stats since they been in the league, more than likely Murray has Ingram beat since he is younger and quicker...wait, oh and the raiders let him walk to the vikings, oh and the vikings started a rookie over Murray...oh, well great signing.

Let the heart of the offense go cause he wasn't liked by his teammates and didn't bring any energy.

We didn't just let Ingram go, he chose a better off and signed ~8mil per year with another team. We offered 4. It was the right move by both the Saints and Ingram.

If we were talking starter, then Murray is absolutely a downgrade. If we are talking about a #2 RB to play the role we used Ingram for last season... I don't see much of a drop off if any at all.

Mark was being underused in our offense with Kamara in a timeshare. That wasn't going to change this season. If anything, his role would have gotten even smaller. You can't pay workhorse RB money for a RB you're not going to use as a workhorse.

So no, I don't see this a a downgrade. Just getting the right priced player for a specific role.

Whew, ok, I stand corrected, we just got younger guys. Oh and 6 years ago Murray had better numbers at the combine...that is a relief. Hey someone check the stats since they been in the league, more than likely Murray has Ingram beat since he is younger and quicker...wait, oh and the raiders let him walk to the vikings, oh and the vikings started a rookie over Murray...oh, well great signing.

Let the heart of the offense go cause he wasn't liked by his teammates and didn't bring any energy.

So we are supposed to pay Mark Ingram $7 million a year because he has a nice smile and the team likes the way he dances in the locker room? That's ridiculous.

On the field, Mark Ingram has had 2 good seasons and 6 average seasons in his 8 year career. He can be a nice guy and you can be happy that he got paid but to try to say that we should have paid him more than $4 million per season is asinine.

Actually, I didn't say anything about that. Just responding to the article that suggested we got younger and quicker. You extrapolated my words into something I didn't say.

Wesley Devildog, I am sorry you guys can't appreciate my sarcasm.

Ouch. That’s just bad.
Yeah... Payton had a horrible game plan. Especially, after seeing Dallas getting dominated by a run defense that did not existed for 16 weeks. We came in and try to do the same thing with an injured oline. Should of done a ton of misdirection instead of running into Suh and Donald at playoff time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom