Murray a downgrade? (1 Viewer)

Yeah... Payton had a horrible game plan. Especially, after seeing Dallas getting dominated by a run defense that did not existed for 16 weeks. We came in and try to do the same thing with an injured oline. Should of done a ton of misdirection instead of running into Suh and Donald at playoff time.
I am more curious as to what our plans are regarding out offensive line. We aren't in dire straits or anything, but we could use some new blood. Someone who can potentially replace some a weaklink or two. Maybe we sign him in a few days. But I certainly think drafting one of those makes sense. In fact. That's what I think our 2nd rounder will be used for. To take the best offensive lineman available

murray will surprise. just bc someone is more or less successful in a totally different offensive scheme is irrelevant. KAmara is a prime examble. murray can explode here, or implode. we dont know whats in store...

I am more curious as to what our plans are regarding out offensive line. We aren't in dire straits or anything, but we could use some new blood. Someone who can potentially replace some a weaklink or two. Maybe we sign him in a few days. But I certainly think drafting one of those makes sense. In fact. That's what I think our 2nd rounder will be used for. To take the best offensive lineman available
I think drafting an oline maybe our only bet. Kills me that we giving Peat 10 million this year on Drew's last year. I'm pretty sure if we sign someone. Peat is the first one they go to for cap space outside of Brees.

People are upset ☹ Ingram is moving on but to think the front office got it wrong with Murray is laughable simply because I believe people want to believe his signing was kneejerk and not well thought out....because Payton and Co never have a plan...(sarcasm off)

Yeah Payton and Co never swing and miss...CJ Spiller.

So we are supposed to pay Mark Ingram $7 million a year because he has a nice smile and the team likes the way he dances in the locker room? That's ridiculous.

On the field, Mark Ingram has had 2 good seasons and 6 average seasons in his 8 year career. He can be a nice guy and you can be happy that he got paid but to try to say that we should have paid him more than $4 million per season is asinine.

Some people are acting like were losing Walter Payton here. Ingram has had 2 thousand yard seasons. That's exactly one more than Murray has had. Ingram has had one season with double digit TDs rushing. Murray has also had one.

Ingram is the better back but it's not like we're trying to replace LaDainian Tomlinson like production. And as for the locker room and leadership, of course Mark will be missed. But this isn't a situation like back in '12 and '13 when we lost all of our veteran leadership at once. We still have plenty of vet leadership and other guys will step up to fill the void.

exactly, hence my point. Mark Ingram, as great a person i think he is, hasn't done anything in this offense that Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Tim Hightower, or even Julis Jones hasn't done. Running back are successful in this offense because of off the offensive scheme, not because they are "good power backs". Its elusive backs like Deuce, Thomas, and Kamara that have the most success.

Just from a pure running/receiving standpoint, none of those backs could even approach MI's productivity or longevity (and there is a reason he was a Saint for so long)....the only one remotely comp was PT, but he never sniffed 1000 yards running the ball and wasn't in the same league in pass pro as Ingram was. Ingram had 2 1000 + yard seasons....and was far superior in pass protection than any of those backs listed above...in fact, it is ridiculous to even bring up Ivory, Hightower or JJ for comparison purposes, none of those guys lasted because they were not dynamic backs, none of them had a complete skill set....c'mon man, ridiculously biased, uniformed post

That said I hope Murray isn't the drop off that alot of us suspect...hopefully he surprises and balls out....

I'm not saying that Ingram was the exact same player as Murray before Kamara joined the team.... but Ingram was the exact same player as Murray before Kamara joined the team.

I see this as a lateral move at worst, with the possibility that it's an actual upgrade.

I know the MI fans will disagree... but c'est la vie

If we were talking starter, then Murray is absolutely a downgrade. If we are talking about a #2 RB to play the role we used Ingram for last season... I don't see much of a drop off if any at all.

Mark was being underused in our offense with Kamara in a timeshare. That wasn't going to change this season. If anything, his role would have gotten even smaller. You can't pay workhorse RB money for a RB you're not going to use as a workhorse.

So no, I don't see this a a downgrade. Just getting the right priced player for a specific role.
Sums up the situation accurately IMHO.

our ground game is going to suffer this year.
Only if the Oline takes a step back and/or gets decimated with injuries.

Our run game wasn't all that dominant last season. Was good but felt not as good as 2017.

I hope concerned Who Dats can give Murray a chance. We will all miss MI, a lot if just for his locker room presence alone. MI is almost always smiling and happy people are people we want to keep around us. It will be hard for me to let him go emotionally.

I may be very wrong about this, but I encourage you to give Murray a chance. If the $4 mil per year savings helps us afford quality DT, TE or OL, and Murray provides anything near what I expect of him, we will still miss Mark, but these transactions may be our key to the SB. I trust in Coach Sean and Ireland

Mark Ingram is 90 yards away from leading saints history in rushing yards behind deuce McAllister. And leads saints history in rushing touchdowns. All with 100 fewer carries. And none of those players you mentioned ever hit 1000 yards. That’s just disrespectful

He got those stats via longevity, as you pointed out Deuce is the only other running back to come close, and Deuce was a much better running back with a far less talented team around him then Mark Ingram ever had.

And by no means am i being disrespectful, or should we start talking about the years long fumbling problems, the inablity for most of his carrier to get pas 1 yard in short yardage situations. The calls in may a game prior to 2017 to get him off the field as he was a liability.

He earned the stats by grinding away at them, he was not the focal point of the offense.

Just from a pure running/receiving standpoint, none of those backs could even approach MI's productivity or longevity (and there is a reason he was a Saint for so long)....the only one remotely comp was PT, but he never sniffed 1000 yards running the ball and wasn't in the same league in pass pro as Ingram was.

I think you're selling PT short. PT played 8 years for the Saints. Ingram played 8 years for the Saints. PT played in 105 games. Ingram played in 106. Ingram has better numbers but he also received far more carries. And from a receiving standpoint PT was clearly the better of the two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom