murray (1 Viewer)

Washington even had a good game two years back against Carolina?

We have a top 3 RB in AK. We have a top 20 RB in relief who can have top 10-like games. I would think Montgomery, if given a full workload would be at least a top 40 RB with top 20-like games. Behind them we still have Dewayne Washington and two UDFA's with good profiles. Stevie Scott III and Tony Jones Jr.

I would say RB is one of our best set positions. Probably better set than most any team in the league. I mean our 4th string RB has several years in our system, and we've kept him... so that tells me he can run, catch, and block. Those are the requirements to stay employed at RB for Sean Payton.
I really, really hope Payton takes advantage of the depth at RB this year. The backfield has three legitimate RBs and Taysom to grind down defenses.

With opposing defenses being smaller now, they will be worn by mid late 3rd quarter if N.O continously punches them in the mouth. A strong running game and commitment to it will greatly set up the passing game for success.

I really, really hope Payton takes advantage of the depth at RB this year. The backfield has three legitimate RBs and Taysom to grind down defenses.

With opposing defenses being smaller now, they will be worn by mid late 3rd quarter if N.O continously punches them in the mouth. A strong running game and commitment to it will greatly set up the passing game for success.
I am looking forward to see how they utilize Armah, as well. He is a versatile FB.

I am looking forward to see how they utilize Armah, as well. He is a versatile FB.
Hopefully he will be as good as Zack Line. You could tell Saints offense missed him last year. Though Burton did do good.

Line is one of those players you dont realize how valuable he is until hes not there.

I was hoping we would have pursued another back. I know we still can, but I think our depth could be a little better. I just don't like what's behind AK or Murray if one goes down. Lord help us if both did.

Both did last year, and Ty Montgomery ran for 100+.

We'll be fine, if that was too happen

He's an older model with low mileage and very few injuries. Zero significant injuries that I can remember.

Really happy for Murray! In his 2 seasons here, he’s been as reliable, solid n consistent a #2 RB as anybody in the NFL!

With the NFL going to the 17 game regular season this year, you wanna have added depth at RB. Ty Montgomery didn’t get to see much playing time til late in the season last year, but played well when his number was called. Hopefully, he’ll be more involved in the O earlier on this year to help take some of the load AK/LM whenever possible. N Hopefully it’ll help keep them all fresher later in the season! 👍🏽

Both did last year, and Ty Montgomery ran for 100+.

We'll be fine, if that was too happen
That was one game. That doesn't mean he could do that over a long stretch. He was hurt last year and was only playing special teams before that.

That was one game. That doesn't mean he could do that over a long stretch. He was hurt last year and was only playing special teams before that.

I understand that, but it was more of a testament to the O Line and the scheme that Sean cooked up.

When our O Line is clicking, you can put Betty White behind center and she could get 100

I understand that, but it was more of a testament to the O Line and the scheme that Sean cooked up.

When our O Line is clicking, you can put Betty White behind center and she could get 100
Right, but in some of our biggest moments it came down to QB play not the running game. Sean will play that balanced attack until he's in a big moment in a big game and he goes all Drew to win it. I will be curious to see what he does now that he doesn't have Drew to depend on. We signed several run blocking TEs and Fullbacks so I think his approach will be to take some of the heat off of the QB position this year. As a result, if we are running more injury becomes more likely so having a great 3rd string back would be paramount.

Right, but in some of our biggest moments it came down to QB play not the running game. Sean will play that balanced attack until he's in a big moment in a big game and he goes all Drew to win it. I will be curious to see what he does now that he doesn't have Drew to depend on. We signed several run blocking TEs and Fullbacks so I think his approach will be to take some of the heat off of the QB position this year. As a result, if we are running more injury becomes more likely so having a great 3rd string back would be paramount.

You make some good points. But the options are either:
A. Expensive and possibly damaging to the locker room
B. Reclamation projects possibly damaging to the locker room.
C. Fringe / unproven NFL running backs.

Happened last season and Montgomery went for over 100 rushing.

Nothing against Ty but I think above is more of a testament to how good our oline is at run-blocking....

I think Murray is underrated, I have no doubt he could be a 1000yd rusher on a running team. He's no slouch on screens and dumpoff's either. He could be past his prime, but I won't guess.

He hasn't had a full time workload since those games 2 years ago when AK was hurt, so I think he is fresher than most 30 year old backs....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom