Music That Touches You (1 Viewer)

Brothers in Arms came out when I was at Military School and was one of the first CDs I ever owned. It is also the CD loaded in my car currently. This song reminds me of the solidarity that comes from a group of fighting men and always brings a tear to my eye.

Taps is another one that always gets me. I can not hear without tearing up.

Dire Straits' Making Movies and Telegraph Road albums are both composed of interesting and touching stories. Great music to play on vinyl and listen through headphones. The guitar work on Private Investigations perfectly compliments the lyrics. Touching and evocative.

My Immortal by Amy Lee/Evanescence

She wrote it about her sister.

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone
These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase
When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me
You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now, I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me
These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase
And I held your hand through all of these years
And you still have all of me
I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me, I've been alone, I'm alone
I held your hand through all of these years
You still have all of me
I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

I adore Amy Lee's voice. It goes inside of you.

'Breathe No More' is literally one of my absolute favorite songs ever created.

The first time I saw Phantom of the Opera I was moved by a few of the songs.

About ten years ago I paid top dollar for Sarah Brightman front row tickets and I was moved throughout.

I discovered Sarah apart from the ALW stuff during a PBS benefit concert. It’s when her and Andrea Bocelli did this (now most will be familiar but it never fails to move me). If you have never heard it, at least give it until he sings.

This one always gets me because it makes me think of my daughters. Not because they're in a similar situation, but just the idea of them growing up and the hope that they have a happy and fulfilling life. It doesn't hurt that Sara Bareilles has one of the most incredible voices there is.

I am watching her page for a concert to hit here or close. So much good stuff. And she is a true entertainer. Great choice.

This is one that isn’t very touching unless you know the story but it means a ton for those in recovery. There is a lot of survivor guilt and bitter sweetness when you are one of the fortunate.

Old....I think she is one if not the most talented singer/musician/songwriter/artists in history, the vocals on this song are otherworldly as is the guitar playing (Larry Carleton):

New....saw them for the first time at the 2016 Nola Jazz fest, this was the 2nd song, completely blew the doors off the place....magical

I had a cousin who overdosed and died at the start of 2020 (we should have taken that as a sign of things to come for 2020). One day shortly after his funeral I was out for a morning run and “Would” by AIC came up on Spotify, and I had to stop and cry. It hit too close to home for me, from Layne’s voice, and his untimely fate, to the message of the song. Into the flood again indeed.

Earlier this month I lost my grandmother due to old age (she was 89). Amazing woman. Cuban and Catholic (is there any other kind?). As we drove home (after the funeral) from New Orleans to Houston my kids were watching Coco, and I ugly cried when “Remember Me” came on. I knew some day that song would be too real for me, but yeah, I never wanted it to be.

Old....I think she is one if not the most talented singer/musician/songwriter/artists in history, the vocals on this song are otherworldly as is the guitar playing (Larry Carleton):

In re to female 70s singer/songwriters, i never got much into Joni Mitchell, i was more of a Carole King/Carly Simon fan.. but ive always really liked the one you posted by Mitchell, and i’m also a fan of another song i think she wrote (cant be bothered to look it up right now) called ‘Clouds/Both Sides Now’ but i especially liked the version that Judy Collins did.. one of those tunes that was always on around the house while growing up.

In re to female 70s singer/songwriters, i never got much into Joni Mitchell, i was more of a Carole King/Carly Simon fan.. but ive always really liked the one you posted by Mitchell, and i’m also a fan of another song i think she wrote (cant be bothered to look it up right now) called ‘Clouds/Both Sides Now’ but i especially liked the version that Judy Collins did.. one of those tunes that was always on around the house while growing up.
I love Carly Simon. I have a niece who was named after her as well (no her name is not Simon).

I love Carly and Carole as well but I don't think they were as dynamic as Joni, who really ventured into an almost jazz prog phase in the late 70's early 80's. Her touring band one year was Pat Metheny (guitar), Jaco Pastorius (bass), Lyle Mays (keyboards), Michael Brecker (Sax).

She was constantly redefining herself and her music. Both Sides Now is probably her most played song....that was her early folky type phase....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom