Music That Touches You (1 Viewer)

Not a fan of the band, not really my type of music. But this song has real meaning to me because it reminds of a beautiful sweet girl that I met in college. She was a few years older and as much as I tried she just wanted to be friends. She was one of the best friends I ever had, she helped me get over a bad breakup and was just always there for me.

I tried to reconnect with her like 10 years ago and she had passed away in 2009....I was glad to see that she became a nurse which was her dream....

“West end blues”
Louis armstrong
I read he thought of the music while riding the streetcar to play at the lakefront when the streetcars went that far
Every time I hear that song I feel like I’m riding the streetcar watching the city come to life

Mine is a bit weird (like everything about me). But there's this show on NBC called This Is Us. It's the type of show that comes around maybe once, twice, three times in a lifetime. Max.

The kind where you find yourself thinking about the writers and the people who came up with the show more than you think about the characters.

In a single episode, they'll tell a story with scenes from the past, present and future. Same characters, same episode, but at different times in their lives.

Anyway, their theme music is pleasant enough. But the composer takes the theme song and rearranges it an infinite amount of times to fit a particular scene. He renders it completely unrecognizable if you're not paying attention.

But it's the same damn song. Five full seasons. Over and over.

It fills me with an emotion I don't have a name for. Not joy or sadness. Bliss? Probably not. But it reminds me that I'm human. And that it's ok.

The original

Same song, but in this scene, the adult character pretends to suck at golf to win sympathy points from his peers. Then he flashes back to his dead, adoptive dad teaching him to perfect his game. Same freakin music.

I guess the sublime USE of music touches me more than anything.

P.S. I wish I could mandate this series as 'required watching' for every member of society. Something about it makes you want to be a better person.

(Jack Pearson = Best TV dad. Of... All... Time...)

Brothers in Arms came out when I was at Military School and was one of the first CDs I ever owned. It is also the CD loaded in my car currently. This song reminds me of the solidarity that comes from a group of fighting men and always brings a tear to my eye.

Taps is another one that always gets me. I can not hear without tearing up.

This morning I was watching a video by the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. Due to the pandemic, they are not touring (no drum corps toured in 2020 and only a limited number participated in 2021). The name of the music in this production is an original piece called "Wait for Me". I found it to be a beautiful and moving piece.

It got me thinking about other music that's moved me. The same song may be moving to me at some point in my life, but less so (if at all) at other points.

What music has touched you? Moved you? Got you up and dancing? Brought tears to your eyes?

I was considering starting a new music thread, like, "what are you listening to - covid edition" And one song I would put on that, actually made me think of you, my friends and family that have had cancer, and my own little minor genetic disorder (well managed), not to mention the dozens with various mental illness, depression, anxiety, addiction.

Might not be your type of music, but I thought the story was cool. My good friend from High School is the bass player (ok, shameless plug, they just dropped this album today, check it out - punk metal) and I didn't realize their guitarist had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He beat it so far. They actually played a big music festival today.

Here's the story. So, this touches me, due to the message.

Here's the video.

For me it's about a combination of associated memories and stirring the imagination to imagine new wonders.

And last, but certainly not the least.

My Immortal by Amy Lee/Evanescence

She wrote it about her sister.

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone
These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase
When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me
You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now, I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me
These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase
And I held your hand through all of these years
And you still have all of me
I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me, I've been alone, I'm alone
I held your hand through all of these years
You still have all of me
I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom