Must have vinyl (1 Viewer)

We would have made great roommates years ago. I might go Zeppelin II and Animals but otherwise, like exactly the same. Almost spooky.
For Zeppelin I went back and forth -- you can really pick any of them depending on your mood. You could make a real good argument for any of their first seven albums, and I almost put Presence just because that's a great album that most people wouldn't think of. But I ultimately decided that if you're going to have one Zep album you might as well have the one with Stairway on it.

And if you're ever in Colorado feel free to reach out -- I'm always happy to hang and listen to music!

I don't disagree with that, but Meddle is (imo) an underappreciated gem that's a good doorway to Floyd's best era. It has some more accessible songs (Fearless, San Tropez) while offering hints of what was to come (One of These Days, Echoes).

There's an unofficial official version of Meddle in 5.1 that I have. What I mean by that is this, they released a HUGE box set a couple of years ago. Before it released, they advertised that Meddle and Obscured By Clouds would be available in 5.1. Well apparently, names are not mentioned, that two of the members worked on the 5.1 conversion and then sent the final product to the other member at the last minute. That member didn't have time to listen to it to see if he approved of it so he said no to its inclusion. They were supposed to no longer include it but the first pressings still had them on it but hidden. Someone was able to find them and released them on the internet. I was only able to get the Meddle one and not Obscured By Clouds. Meddle in 5.1 sounds good, I don't know if the age of it is why it should sound better to me or not but it's better than the CD version. That box set was 500 bucks when it came out but since then they broke it up into 4 or more pieces and those are much cheaper to buy over the whole.

Early Steve Miller Band like Children of the Future, Sailor and Brave New World are classics along with Trapeze Medusa....so much good music that never got played on the radio. Deep Purple was great too and even Grand Funk Railroad before they really got commercial. Any of y'all remember the Blues Magoos?? There was a song on Psychedelic Lollipop called "Sometimes I think about" that is so great...think it was based on the movie This Property is Condemned, but not sure..."sometimes I think about that girl named WillieJean, wonderin' if she made it down to New Orleans" Great song!!

Also I just purchased one of those pieces that officially comes with Atom Heart Mother in 4.0 on blu-ray and supposedly DVD-Audio. I can't wait to get it. I know it's not vinyl so I'm sorry about mentioning it in this thread.

Alright, I've been listening to more albums - in order, on Spotify - recently. With more time in the evenings to work I find having them on and listening has been really enjoyable. So I bought a record player, even though I only have one record. Outkast's Aquemini.

We had some records growing up, so did my wife. And we started looking at various lists online to try and come up with some that we think we'd like. But while liking music a great deal, my wife and I aren't extreme audiophiles. And I know people here are, much more so. I've compiled a sort of wishlist of albums we've listened to or had as CDs that we liked that would translate over well, in addition to titles that have been recommended as being good on vinyl, by artists we typically enjoy.

The genres are all over the place, I know, but wondering what SR/EE thinks we should include on our wishlist. The list below gives you an idea of those genres and we're open to any and all suggestions. The order below isn't really indicative of anything - just as I thought about or came across them.

John Coltrane - Love Supreme
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (I LOVE this album)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Beatles - my wife is choosing these - she's the Beatles fan
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Nirvana: Unplugged
Paul Simon - again, my wife is choosing
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zeppelin - IV
Madvillany - Madvillain
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city; To Pimp a Butterfly
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; Late Registration; College Dropout
David Bowie - again, my wife is choosing
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited or Blood on the Tracks
Carole King - Tapestry
Joni Mitchell - Blue (we think)
Radiohead - OK Computer
White Stripes - Elephant
Outkast - ATLiens; Stankonia
Lou Reed - Transformer
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Eminem - Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP
Dr. Dre - Chronic
Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings

What would you add? What are some really good albums to have on vinyl and listen to on record?

The system isn't high-end. A mid-range Yamaha receiver with mid-high range Polk speakers and subwoofer in 2.1 - our living room isn't big, and the player is a Sony PS-LX310 if any of that information makes a difference. And I have an expensive set of Bose bluetooth headphones (and the turntable is bluetooth)
Great list. Hey if your only going to have on record thats not a bad one to have..
I would add Alice in Chains Unplugged album if you like Nirvana's. Also Jim Croce's Life & Times. Not sure how open you are to newer rap music but I would like to hear your thought on Young Thug - JEFFERY/ or Beautiful Thugger Girls

Alright, I've been listening to more albums - in order, on Spotify - recently. With more time in the evenings to work I find having them on and listening has been really enjoyable. So I bought a record player, even though I only have one record. Outkast's Aquemini.

We had some records growing up, so did my wife. And we started looking at various lists online to try and come up with some that we think we'd like. But while liking music a great deal, my wife and I aren't extreme audiophiles. And I know people here are, much more so. I've compiled a sort of wishlist of albums we've listened to or had as CDs that we liked that would translate over well, in addition to titles that have been recommended as being good on vinyl, by artists we typically enjoy.

The genres are all over the place, I know, but wondering what SR/EE thinks we should include on our wishlist. The list below gives you an idea of those genres and we're open to any and all suggestions. The order below isn't really indicative of anything - just as I thought about or came across them.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Led Zeppelin - IV
Madvillany - Madvillain
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; Late Registration; College Dropout
Carole King - Tapestry
Radiohead - OK Computer
White Stripes - Elephant
Lou Reed - Transformer
Dr. Dre - Chronic

What would you add? What are some really good albums to have on vinyl and listen to on record?

The system isn't high-end. A mid-range Yamaha receiver with mid-high range Polk speakers and subwoofer in 2.1 - our living room isn't big, and the player is a Sony PS-LX310 if any of that information makes a difference. And I have an expensive set of Bose bluetooth headphones (and the turntable is bluetooth)
American IV Johnny Cash. Bully this time his voice was shot, songs are all dark but on vinyl it would be awesome

My mom gifted me this one year for Christmas. I don’t have a record player unfortunately so I don’t know how good it sounds but I’m guessing it’s probably great

I know right? And you're not gonna go get a turntable just cause someone gives you an LP.

The last vinyl got for Christmas was in the 80s. I had this weird sort of granola aunt - by marriage and my uncle passed before I was born, so it wasn't super close or overly-friendly thing, some weird family dynamics. But to her credit she sent my sister and me birthday cards and Christmas presents every year. They were usually weird, like hemp socks or some sheet.

Christmas 1986, I was 13, she sends me something different . . . an album. I opened it on Christmas and it was Paul Simon's Graceland. At 13, I was starting to explore more sophisticated music, I had a record-player on the crappy combo stereo in my room. Mostly I was "borrowing" vinyl from my dad's stack but it was older stuff, 60's rock and 70s pop. Nothing particularly noteworthy since about 1973.

I didn't put the record on at first, but then "Call Me Al" was making rounds on MTV and I threw Graceland on the turntable with some old-school stereo headphones. And wow, that's just a great record. I still listen to it from time to time - it won Album of the Year in 1986, at a time when Paul Simon was becoming more of a catalog/classic artist . . . because it's just excellent.

A few years ago she had a falling out with my dad (her brother-in-law) over some lingering sheet, and I wrote her an email telling her that I appreciated her effort to stay in touch with us over the years. And that sending a 13-year old a copy of Graceland was a really cool thing to do - it influenced me forever.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Led Zeppelin - IV
Madvillany - Madvillain
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Carole King - Tapestry
Radiohead - OK Computer
White Stripes - Elephant
Lou Reed - Transformer
Dr. Dre - Chronic

One thing I learn from your list is how cool your wife is. I can't get my wife to like anything that entertains me. I'm glad to know that your wife & I could listen to albums all day long. Good woman there!

But you have a lot of good ones in your list as well. Sometimes when I'm in a nostalgic mood I will listen to (not necessarily on vinyl) the Fragile album by Yes. But the usually leads to other old favorites like The Captain & Me from The Doobie Brothers. Then I'll likely be pulling out the Jim Croce album, Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits.

The best thing for me is just not to get started... or else I might spend the entire day next to the old phonograph.

We would have made great roommates years ago. I might go Zeppelin II and Animals but otherwise, like exactly the same. Almost spooky.
As a whole, I would probably take Zeppelin's first album over their others. However, there are individual songs from their other albums that I like more than anything on the first album. If I made a personal 'Best Of Led Zeppelin' album it would include a lot of II, III, & Physical Graffiti... and I would run out of album space long before 'Stairway' would come up on my list. But I just adore Plant's raw power and bluesy croons in the first album. For vocals, it's the best album to listen to before going into my recording studio.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom