Must have vinyl (1 Viewer)

Kinda surprised by the lack of Public Enemy, Tribe called Quest, De La on your original set list

Yea. the Public Enemy is an oversight - definitely adding that one.

Also, confession... I never liked Tribe Called Quest (am I horrible? Probably). And De La Soul... just that tune, Fallin', they did with Teenage Fanclub was the only track I ever listened to, really.

But I am happy to be told, "Oye, idiot, you need to listen to Tribe until you like them" or some variation.

Anyway you seem to have pop/rock covered, but there seem to be some gaping soundtrack and symphonic holes, and those - like jazz - lend themselves to albums a bit more than a string of 4 minute songs

Amadeus soundtrack
Beethoven’s pastoral
most any Duke Ellington
Phillip Glass - Einstein on the Beach (admittedly an acquired taste, but excellent album set)
Stravinsky- Rite of Spring
Gorecki - 3rd symphony
Tous les Mantains du Monde soundtrack (it’s incredible - I think I spelled it right)
Bach - Brandenburg concerti
Brian Zeno - Different Trains
Cotton Club soundtrack
Blues Brothers soundtrack
Hamilton soundtrack
Hair soundtrack
Jesus Christ superstar soundtrack
West Side Story soundtrack
All that Jazz soundtrack

great recommendations - I don't know much classical. I know I love Pictures at an Exhibition. And I love Stravinsky. BUt I am classically ignorant. I also love musicals, but didn't even think of them for records.

Thriller
Purple Rain
Inxs Kick
U2 Achtung Baby
Ritual de Lo Habitual Janes Addiction

all works of art worthy of vinyl.

along with the Zep, Joel already mentioned and I would add one or two Elton John.

I should've had "Elton John" under my wife's selection - she knows his body of work a lot better than I do. Thriller, Purple Rain are ones I know I'd like - had them as a kid. But less familiar with the other three. I mean, I know who they are, but haven't listened to them much

I'll have to see how big the file is but either way I can burn Pink Floyd's The Darkside of The Moon Super Audio onto a dvd blank or blu-ray blank. Over the past several years people have finally cracked the Super Audio CD code. It only took over a decade to happen. But the file I have is a 5.1 flac file so if you have a 5.1 setup I can burn Darkside of The Moon in 5.1 Super Audio for anyone that would want it. All I'd want in return is the cost to mail it and like a dollar for the blank. Technically it can be put on a flash drive as well. I'm just throwing that out there.

the what community was great when I was using them back in the day for FLAC files - huge files, but makes such a difference

The last vinyl got for Christmas was in the 80s. I had this weird sort of granola aunt - by marriage and my uncle passed before I was born, so it wasn't super close or overly-
[/QUOTE]

So, you married your aunt?

Last edited:
Great list. Hey if your only going to have on record thats not a bad one to have..
I would add Alice in Chains Unplugged album if you like Nirvana's. Also Jim Croce's Life & Times. Not sure how open you are to newer rap music but I would like to hear your thought on Young Thug - JEFFERY/ or Beautiful Thugger Girls

I don't know Alice in Chains, but I love the Unplugged stuff - will give it a listen.

And excellent call on Jim Croce... we listened to him a ton growing up and one of mine and my wife's favorites to listen to together.

I like newer rap, but find that I don't dig into them with enough depth to develop a really informed opinion. I really do like Young Thug but I haven't listened to either of those as a full album, so probably wouldn't have much to say about that's worthwhile. As for newer rap - totally open to it. I like Roddy Rich, Rich the Kid, Lil Baby, Da Baby. Lil Uzi Vert is a guilty pleasure - I think Futsal Shuffle 2020 is my favorite track right now. It's so good. Travis Scott isn't *that* new, really, but I think he's a genius. I like Ski Mask the Slump God, A Boogie wit da Hoodie. I did like Juice WRLD's work that I'd heard. I know Em took a shot at him, but I get a kick out of Lil Yachty. Schoolboy Q, Chance.

There are other artists I know I should be listening to more - Denzel Curry, Joey Bada$$, Vince Staples, Joyner Lucas, for example. That I just haven't listened to much at all.

Someone whose opinion of rap I really enjoy has good things to say about nba youngboy, so that's probably the next one on my list to check out.

American IV Johnny Cash. Bully this time his voice was shot, songs are all dark but on vinyl it would be awesome

Yea.. have it on CD. Love it.

I didn't really include any country artists on the list - but it is what I grew up listening to and I know those records really well and what I want to order. There are three Cash ones I want - and this is one. But yes, absolutely on my list.

I know right? And you're not gonna go get a turntable just cause someone gives you an LP.

Yea. Who would do that? What an idiot. Imagine someone getting a gift of, say, Outkast's Aquemini and buying a record player just to listen to it.

Idiotic.

And that sending a 13-year old a copy of Graceland was a really cool thing to do - it influenced me forever.

that's really cool...

One thing I learn from your list is how cool your wife is. I can't get my wife to like anything that entertains me. I'm glad to know that your wife & I could listen to albums all day long. Good woman there!

her musical tastes are a lot better than mine.

alright, we made our first order. After a lot of deliberation, we went with albums we know we'd like and also appeared on the list but were also artists that people said would be good.

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (this is one of my favorite all time albums can can't wait to explore the polyphonic details)
Beatles - Sgt Peppers (my wife's choice)
Nirvana - Unplugged
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Carole King - Tapestry

alright, we made our first order. After a lot of deliberation, we went with albums we know we'd like and also appeared on the list but were also artists that people said would be good.

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (this is one of my favorite all time albums can can't wait to explore the polyphonic details)
Beatles - Sgt Peppers (my wife's choice)
Nirvana - Unplugged
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Carole King - Tapestry

Was acousticsounds helpful?

ok serious question, can you download vinyl? with the pops and all?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom