MVP and Drew (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As we know so well and lament so often, Drew Brees has never won a MVP award. An injustice? A bit. But not terribly surprising, and the culprit is less those who vote for MVP than those running the Saints organization, who too infrequently have provided Brees with the type of team a quarterback needs to win the MVP award.

Look at the numbers over the last 18 years for the Associated Press NFL MVP award, and you see the award normally goes to the hottest quarterback on one of the league's best teams. Over the past 18 seasons, a quarterback has won the award 14 times and a running back four times.

No player whose team has won nine or fewer games has been voted MVP. In fact, the regular-season team records for the MVP winner over the past 18 years are as follows: 10-6, twice; 11-5, twice; 12-4, four times; 13-3, three times; 14-2, four times; 15-1, twice; and 16-0, once.

Other facts of note: Tom Brady has won the award only twice, but Peyton Manning has won it five times (a reason that some on this forum do not always view Manning with high favor). The Super Bowl-losing quarterback has seven times been the MVP.

Drew had two legitimate chances to win MVP when both he and his team had great years. He should have won it in 2009. Manning, the presumptive MVP candidate each year during his career, won it instead. That year, the Saints went 13-3, and the Colts 14-2. However, Drew took comfort in winning the Super Bowl that year and being named MVP. Regarding the individual numbers, Drew threw for 4,388 yards, completed 68.1 percent of his passes, threw 34 TDs and 11 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 109.6. Manning threw for 4,500 yards, completed 68.8 percent of his passes, threw for 33 TDs and 16 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 99.9. The numbers were close, but Drew had a better year.

In 2011, Green Bay went 15-1, and the Saints 13-3. Drew had a fantastic year, but Aaron Rodgers also had a ridiculous year. Drew threw for a ridiculous 5,476 yards, completed 71.2 percent of his passes, threw 46 TDs and 14 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 110.6. But Rodgers threw for 4,643 yards (an 800 yard difference), completed 68.3 percent of his passes, threw 45 TDs and 6 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 122.5. Rodgers won the award.

In 2013, Manning won the award and fully deserved to win it. Denver went 13-3, and the Saints 11-5, though they were faltering at the end of the season. And Manning's numbers were better: 5,477 yards, 68.3 completion percentage, 55 TDs and 10 interceptions, 115.1 rating. Drew's numbers: 5,162 yards, 68.6 completion percentage, 39 TDs, 12 interceptions, 104.7 rating.

The problem is that, unlike Brady and Rodgers and Manning, Drew has only several times played on a team that was good enough for its quarterback to be considered for MVP honors. And that responsibility falls on those who have been running the organization. We have a quarterback who has played over the last three years like a future first-ballot Hall of Famer, and at no time in the last three years have the Saints ever been a winning record.

I'll take superbowl MVP every time. As we just witnessed, league MVP doesn't mean squat. Sure, I'd like for him to get the recognition but SMVP is the one that counts.

Newton and Ryan can keep theirs. Ask them how they feel about the award after the big game.

One last note. In neither 2009 nor 2011 was the voting close. In 2009, Manning received 39 1/2 votes, Brees 7 1/2 votes, Rivers 2 votes, and Farve 1 vote. In 2011, Rodgers received 48 votes and Brees 2 votes. In both years, the Saints went 13-3, only one loss behind the Colts in 2009 and the Packers in 2011.

Compare the individual numbers. In 2009, Manning had 112 more yards and a 0.7 better completion percentage. Drew had 1 more TD, 8 fewer interceptions, and a 9.7 point better QB rating. The numbers were essentially the same, except for interceptions. Manning won in a landslide. Brees actually had the edge because of far fewer interceptions as reflected by the QB ratings.

In 2011, Drew had 833 more yards, a 2.9 better completion percentage, and 1 more TD (though with more attempts). Rodgers had 8 fewer interceptions and a 11.9 better QB rating. Rodgers received 48 of the 50 votes. I get that Rodgers had a crazy year in 2011, but so did Brees, and the voting certainly should have been closer.

I believe that the reason Manning won it in 2009 was because he was seen as not only the QB but also as the unofficial offensive coordinator. I have heard a couple of the voters that year state that when they had attended Colts Friday practices before games Manning often pretty much ran the practice and would even stop a play to point out to the defense how he was about to torch them because they had missed diagnosed the play.

I'll take superbowl MVP every time. As we just witnessed, league MVP doesn't mean squat. Sure, I'd like for him to get the recognition but SMVP is the one that counts.

Newton and Ryan can keep theirs. Ask them how they feel about the award after the big game.

Yup.

You could make a better case for 2009 than 2011 even though Brees 2011 season would get the MVP in just about any other year.

Yet in 2009, you have to remember the Colts chose to quit the last two games after the Saints had lost legitimately...not to mention Manning being considered a coach on the field and not having as strong a run game as the 2009 Saints did.

One last note. In neither 2009 nor 2011 was the voting close. In 2009, Manning received 39 1/2 votes, Brees 7 1/2 votes, Rivers 2 votes, and Farve 1 vote. In 2011, Rodgers received 48 votes and Brees 2 votes. In both years, the Saints went 13-3, only one loss behind the Colts in 2009 and the Packers in 2011.

Compare the individual numbers. In 2009, Manning had 112 more yards and a 0.7 better completion percentage. Drew had 1 more TD, 8 fewer interceptions, and a 9.7 point better QB rating. The numbers were essentially the same, except for interceptions. Manning won in a landslide. Brees actually had the edge because of far fewer interceptions as reflected by the QB ratings.

In 2011, Drew had 833 more yards, a 2.9 better completion percentage, and 1 more TD (though with more attempts). Rodgers had 8 fewer interceptions and a 11.9 better QB rating. Rodgers received 48 of the 50 votes. I get that Rodgers had a crazy year in 2011, but so did Brees, and the voting certainly should have been closer.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/matt-ryan-front-runner-mvp-363691/#post6657188

He was robbed in '09. The only way I see Drew winning an MVP award is if he has his usual numbers AND we finish the year with the best record in the league. A "can't be denied" type of scenario.

You could make a better case for 2009 than 2011 even though Brees 2011 season would get the MVP in just about any other year.

Yet in 2009, you have to remember the Colts chose to quit the last two games after the Saints had lost legitimately...not to mention Manning being considered a coach on the field and not having as strong a run game as the 2009 Saints did.
This is fair. They did go 14-2, more or less choosing to lose the last two.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2009 was highway robbery given to media darling Peyton for no reason other than IT'LL BE PEYTON'S FOURTH AND NO ONE'S EVER WON FOUR BEFORE AND ONCE HE WINS THE SUPER BOWL HE'LL BE THE BESTEST QUARTERBACK EVER AND NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE!!!!11...if you remember 2009 there were just endless articles going on and on and on about Peyton's 4th MVP OMGGGG while the season was still going on. It was media narrative garbage from the word go and the absurd margin of victory proves it. Drew never had a chance.

My main gripe was the way the voters (I'm looking at you, Peter King) turned their feeble justification around in each year.

In 2009, when Drew had the better stats, it was argued that the MVP isn't about stats, but more about being a "field general". In 2011, when Drew is unquestionably the better leader and field general, the argument was "OMG, look at Rodgers' stats". Two-faced nincompoops, all of 'em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom