MVP Meter (1 Viewer)

He has a weak arm.
He's short.
He was a product of SD's system.

I don't know there CajunSaint,

"Let’s face it: Drew Brees has to be in any MVP discussion and likely will finish in the top three of the voting if he keeps up his insane pace, but there’s a very good chance he doesn’t win the award. Why? Here are a few reasons:

1 People keep doubting the Saints. Yes, they are 7-4 and atop the NFC South, but everyone assumes the bottom will fall out and Carolina will win the division.

2 He’s not as sexy a pick as Peyton Manning or LaDainian Tomlinson. Brees just doesn’t carry the same name value as those guys, and certainly not as much as Tom Brady, Brian Urlacher or Tiki Barber.

3 The Katrina story, unfortunately, has become slightly stale. It’s crazy to think that the magic and charm of the Saints has worn off, but it has — for now. "

With 5 weeks left I don't see any of those as a valid reason why it's unlikely. 5 Weeks is a long time.

ddd

The Katrina story might help him get some votes actually.

Peter King has said he would give Brees his vote because Brees is lifting the city of New Orleans after Katrina.

if he has the numbers none of those 3 (except no. 1 as the MVP should come from a playoff team) are valid, the "sexy pick" and "katrina" dont have anything to do with it - the "sexy pick" will if the mvp has somethig to do with nfl marketing - but Katrina, in regards to the saints (its emotion etc) is over, this team is winning because they are good.

it also depends on what MVP means - best player or most critical to a succesful team, Brees should win that hands down (assuming we win the division or earn a wildcard without help from other teams) - Manning, has done it for several yrs with a talented team. anything short of a SB is a bad season for them (compared to past seasons) - LT. same as Manning - until one of those two player miss games and their teams begin to tank, who is to say how valuable they are (though i cant tell you who Mannings back up is, LT's back up isnt a bad player) - Brees is the leader of a team that has been without a leader for yrs and he is the second most important reason for the change of the Saints (im giving payton the top nod for the changes) forget some of his yds came in losses, he was still making plays, and came very close to converting a couple of those losses to wins.

I agree, but since this is as of now and if the season ended today....i can see the author's point.

"1 People keep doubting the Saints. Yes, they are 7-4 and atop the NFC South, but everyone assumes the bottom will fall out and Carolina will win the division"

We all know about this already, and quite frankly, it is true. I dont think this is the case, but the people who mean nothing do believe this. IN short, because of this he may not be at the top of voters list if the season had ended today.

I think we all know that he doesnt have the same "name value" as Peyton Manning or LT.

Again, i am not saying that these are right, but i can see his point.

well Brees is having one of the best seasons for any qb ever but what LT is doing is even better. avg 5 yards a carry ... already has like 21 rushing td's and thrown for one or 2
and Im sure you have seen some of his receptions and he has a few more tds from that

I think Brees's can jump to the top of the MVP race if the following things happen:

1) Saints win the division
2) Continue to challenge Marino's record (which imo is more important than LT shattering Alexander's record....over the past 10 or so years how many people have broken the touchdown record [Emmitt, Marshall, etc...). If he just gets to 5,000, that will be something that no one has done except Marino.
3)If he leads the Saints into Dallas and beats the Cowboys while at the same time out playing the league's flavor of the month.

Another added bonus for Brees in terms of exposure it appears that the Saints will be playing in front of most of the country for 3 of the last 5 games (Dallas, NY, and possibly Carolina if it is moved to Sunday Night)

Brees is the leader of a team that has been without a leader for yrs and he is the second most important reason for the change of the Saints (im giving payton the top nod for the changes)

There was a poll a few weeks ago at cbs sportsline.com, asking who's the most important addtion to the saints, Brees got >60% votes, while Payton got <20%.

There are coaching geniuses in the league, but most coaches breathe on their QBs.

A QB who takes a 3-13 team, turns it into a playoff contender where half the team has new players, new playbook, new coaching staff, while re-energizing a city deserves to be the MVP of the league.

Manning and Tomlinson are great players, but their teams were already expected to win. Don't forget the comments and predictions made in the preseason about how the Saints are re-building, QB is hurt, don't expect much...blah, blah, blah.

Brees and Tomlinson will be co-MVPs - book it. :)

Two SD players head the list (LT & Brees). That says something about that organisation. You know the one that Eli did not want to play for. SD sure has some talent!!! The Giants might be looking for a QB very soon!!

Two SD players head the list (LT & Brees). That says something about that organisation. You know the one that Eli did not want to play for. SD sure has some talent!!! The Giants might be looking for a QB very soon!!

That team was/still is so loaded on talent that it will be a crime if they don't make it to at least the AFC title game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom