MVP now a 3 horse race (1 Viewer)

The MVP race is far from over. Brees has a MNF game and an afternoon game against Pittsburgh that will basically be the nationally televised game at 3. Mahomes has a SNF game at Seattle next week.

Three high pressure games on national TV. These awards always have a recency bias. Lots of the story to be written. Drew could tear the Panthers up Monday and Mahomes could struggle in Seattle (both very possible) and Brees is the clear leader a week and two days from now.

Plus Mahomes sounds like Kermit the Frog, and Brees is this year's media darling veteran player. The voters are going to want to give it to Brees as a career award. He just needs to give them reason enough to justify it.

Stats are for losers. They usually give the MVP to the best player on the best team. The reason Aaron Rodgers won the MVP in 2011 was because the Packers won more games. If we finish 14-2 and the Chiefs finish 12-4 and Drew plays well the last three games, he will likely win it.
Finally sometime with a sense of reason.

100% correct.

I think if both teams win out the award goes to Drew.

There are people on here that think Mahomes would still win it even if they lost to Seattle, ended up a wildcard team as long as Mahomes played well in the loss to Seattle. True story.

They don't get how they vote for this award.

Best player on best team.

Last edited:
Mahomes is legit but untested post season when a different kind of pressure sets in. He could win the MVP but turn right around and Crumble in the playoffs because he’s trying to do too much. And the sportswriters would have egg on their face. Now if he goes into the Playoffs and performs well then maybe next season he’s the man but not yet. No way.

Brees has shown his Value both regular and post season so there’s no guessing. He could and should win it. He isn’t going to embarass anyone post season. He’ll continue to own it and perform at an elite level. When the pressure goes up, Drew Brees embraces it and rises to the occassion- every time.

Brees is the right pick.

Last edited:
Voting takes place at the end of the regular season. People tend to put more weight on what they last remember over the whole of the work. And then rationalize. In other words, any of the three could win it or lose it over the next 2-3 games. Not saying the order will change, just saying it certainly could.

Drew Brees broke the record for the most passing yards in NFL history. Not to mention, he has broken several other records. He clearly deserves the MVP award. To even consider someone else is just plain dumb.

Brees will have to score 10+ TDs (0 INTs) in the last three games and saints have to average 38 points.

Mahomes has the inside track because of his playmaking, # TDs, Chiefs scoring average (their lowest score is 26 this year) and that he is doing it in his 1st year as starter (which has no bearing on MVP but impacts the narrative).

Do i think Drew still shoud be in the conversation? Yes. But you need to think with the head of the voters. It's clear it's about being flashy. If the only terrible game by Mahomes he threw 6 TDs, while Drew was terrible against Dallas and Tampa, could not even move the ball, it's clear unless something happen from here to the end of the season they will give Mahomes the MVP.

It's not about giving up on Drew, it's about knowing the line of thinking of people who decides the MVP winner.

Voters do get impacted by style points... Brees didn't help his case by looking totally in-effective against Dallas. Nostalgia is one thing that Brees has going for him....that "he's due"

While I think it is a shame that DB9 has never won an MVP, I would rather call him the GOAT than an MVP for 1 year...Mahomes is have a great year, no doubt, but let's revisit this 18 years from now to see if he is sustainable...if I was a betting man, I would say this in not...he will have a good career, but it will never match up to THE GOAT...my 2 cents...carry on :)

Mahomes is legit but untested post season when a different kind of pressure sets in. He could win the MVP but turn right around and Crumble in the playoffs because he’s trying to do too much. And the sportswriters would have egg on their face. Now if he goes into the Playoffs and performs well then maybe next season he’s the man but not yet. No way.

Brees has shown his Value both regular and post season so there’s no guessing. He could and should win it. He isn’t going to embarass anyone post season. He’ll continue to own it and perform at an elite level. When the pressure goes up, Drew Brees embraces it and rises to the occassion- every time.

Brees is the right pick.
I think Andy Reid is setting this team up for failure in the playoffs. He refuses to be balanced even though they can run the ball quite well.

Mahomes and company just blew a 14 pt. lead in the 4th quarter at home against a division opponent in a very important game. Just sayin'

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom