MVP now a 3 horse race (1 Viewer)

While I think it is a shame that DB9 has never won an MVP, I would rather call him the GOAT than an MVP for 1 year...Mahomes is have a great year, no doubt, but let's revisit this 18 years from now to see if he is sustainable...if I was a betting man, I would say this in not...he will have a good career, but it will never match up to THE GOAT...my 2 cents...carry on :)

I take it you don't read a whole lot of football message boards outside of this one, because most other people out there actually consider MVP's when assessing who the GOAT is. I've seen people argue that Drew would still not be better than Peyton Manning even if he won two more SBs, even if he clearly contributed heavily to said wins unlike Peyton's zombie corpse being dragged to his second by a generational defense, simply because Peyton has 5 MVP's. That is why I want Drew to win an MVP.

Great and lively debate.

Thanks to all for their input.

If you don't like it being a lifetime achievement award, don't give clowns like Cam Newton and Matt Ryan MVP's whilst depriving a legitimate GOAT candidate for his entire flipping career.
Those years they were definitely the MVP

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. I think the voters will give it to Brees this year as long as he keeps it close with Mahomes. They know Drew is close to retirement and they also know he has twice deserved it and was snubbed. The legacy of the MVP award will be forever tarnished if Brees never wins it at least once. One of the voters will make that argument in whatever magical voter discussion group they have, and it will carry the day for Brees.

If either Brees or Mahomes can win the rest of their games, securing HFA for his team while the other does not it looks like that would count for something. Winning under that kind of pressure is valuable.

Mahomes is at 45 TDs and despite a loss, he still put up some good numbers tonight. It's his MVP to lose at this point.

Brees' last two games have probably knocked him out of it. Rivers is the odd guy out who is often snubbed yearly.
You think Rivers is the guy who gets snubbed?

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. I think the voters will give it to Brees this year as long as he keeps it close with Mahomes. They know Drew is close to retirement and they also know he has twice deserved it and was snubbed. The legacy of the MVP award will be forever tarnished if Brees never wins it at least once. One of the voters will make that argument in whatever magical voter discussion group they have, and it will carry the day for Brees.

Brees probably won't sniff the MVP award since he can't even get half his own fanbase to cheer for him because of their idiotic superstititions.

You think Rivers is the guy who gets snubbed?
Yeah I like Rivers but I had to question him on that statement as well. But that's his narrative and he won't budge on it no matter how much you try to convince him otherwise.

Rivers is usually good to play so poorly as to affect about 4 of their team losses every year. Like the Denver game this season. Just inexcusable bone headed mistakes.

I think if the Saints win out, that Drew will get the award... well, that is, if they hold him to the same standard as the 2009 season. Where Manning won more games, but Drew had better stats (if I recall)

I think if the Saints win out, that Drew will get the award... well, that is, if they hold him to the same standard as the 2009 season. Where Manning won more games, but Drew had better stats (if I recall)
Correct

Manning went 14-1 and Drew was 13-2, both taking off week 17.

Drew has a QB rating 10 points higher and Manning had 5 more interceptions.

youre delusional if you think brees is still ahead of mahomes.
https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Patrick-Mahomes-Drew-Brees-MVP-odds-126371724/

"Thursday night’s 29-28 loss by the Kansas City Chiefs to the Los Angeles Chargers has caused quarterback Patrick Mahomes to fall back a tad in the odds to win this year’s NFL Most Valuable Player award, with the latest numbers from Bovada.lv now ranking him a close second to New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees."

Do not doubt me.

The MVP race is far from over. Brees has a MNF game and an afternoon game against Pittsburgh that will basically be the nationally televised game at 3. Mahomes has a SNF game at Seattle next week.

Three high pressure games on national TV. These awards always have a recency bias. Lots of the story to be written. Drew could tear the Panthers up Monday and Mahomes could struggle in Seattle (both very possible) and Brees is the clear leader a week and two days from now.

Plus Mahomes sounds like Kermit the Frog, and Brees is this year's media darling veteran player. The voters are going to want to give it to Brees as a career award. He just needs to give them reason enough to justify it.

This and it's also true that Brees has more ProBowl votes than any other player including Mahomes.

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Patrick-Mahomes-Drew-Brees-MVP-odds-126371724/

"Thursday night’s 29-28 loss by the Kansas City Chiefs to the Los Angeles Chargers has caused quarterback Patrick Mahomes to fall back a tad in the odds to win this year’s NFL Most Valuable Player award, with the latest numbers from Bovada.lv now ranking him a close second to New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees."

Do not doubt me.

I will say that I'm surprised Mahomes dropped a bit without Brees even playing. He didn't even have a bad game Thursday so it tells me if LAC wins the division then it pretty much cripples mahomes chances.

To me, even with the loss on TNF, I still have Mahomes as the favorite at this very moment. It would have to take a special performance from Drew to leap him, not necessarily from a statistical stand point. But he has 3 games to close the gap anyway.

I personally think the media really wants to give it to Drew which is funny since he is always overlooked. This year the media is finally giving him the respect he deserves. I even saw an ESPN MNF promo that called him THE favorite.

We'll see what he does tonight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom