My 2nd Very Early Final 53 (1 Viewer)

I'm in the group that likes PJ, but I too think he doesn't make the cut.
They have been playing Gardner-Johnson in the slot and he is excelling.

PRob will be your starting slot corner and Gardner-Johnson will be depth at the position along with depth at SS.

I see the WR group being similar to what silverbullet has:
WR: Thomas, Ginn, Smith, Kirkwood, Butler

Not sure Carr has done enough and I see Humphries and Grayson going to practice squad.

So this is not so much a projection of the final 53 based off of training camp, preseason, historical evidence and thoughts about what coach will do.

It's just what you'd like to see happen because of who you personally like? There's not much room for commentary here if you know, and are telling us you know, that it's not based off of observation.

What part is not based on observation? If anything, I could care less about what the idiots on TV said. I re-watch each play with it on mute so that I can focus on each player. Observation is everything. I'm not saying someone should or should not make it because of a contract or what name is on their jersey. I've watched the game twice and re-watched most every play a dozen times. Is there subjectivity in here, of course, but it is also based 100% on observation. If I had seen Williams play well in the past two weeks, let alone the past three years, I would say so.

Well that's your opinion; I would disagree. After Patrick Robinson went down last year, PJ Williams was lights out covering the slot. That's his role and he's very good at it when everyone around him does their job. He doesn't have bad fundamentals. He doesn't open his hips too quickly "all the time" and he has both the speed and quickness required to play the position. Sounds like you just don't like him.

You're right. We were childhood friends and he stole my girlfriend. You've uncovered my guise. All of these years, I've just been waiting to get my revenge. Or, maybe, just maybe, many of the people who are saying they like him have never once really keyed on him in a game - just him. But, you're right about just one thing, and one thing only, it is my opinion.

Banjo wasn't playing the deep middle despite what Dan Fouts said. If you watch, he was playing quarters, and he did his job.
Please, explain that defense to me. Was PJW responsible for the receiver all over the field with no help over the top? If he was, he was pretty close to the line of scrimmage at the snap. And if he was totally responsible for the receiver, I guess that defense is taking a gamble that quick pressure on the QB should not allow enough time for that long pass? I'm not knowledgable in the defenses, but it seems there should have been help over the top on the left and middle. BTW, these are sincere questions, not sarcasm.

Last edited:
You're right. We were childhood friends and he stole my girlfriend. You've uncovered my guise. All of these years, I've just been waiting to get my revenge. Or, maybe, just maybe, many of the people who are saying they like him have never once really keyed on him in a game - just him. But, you're right about just one thing, and one thing only, it is my opinion.
Do you think he played bad last year after PRob got injured? I heard pretty much universal praise for his play in the slot last year, but I don't watch film or scrutinize plays much. I know he struggled mightily on the outside, but thought/hoped he found his strong suit as a slot guy.

Banjo wasn't playing the deep middle despite what Dan Fouts said. If you watch, he was playing quarters, and he did his job.
Banjo was completely lost and not sure where to go. He was not deep enough.

Also, Rankins will not go on IR, as he will be on PUP.

Well, he's slow and tries to make up for it by being uninstinctual... He can only play nickel in underneath coverage. When in space, he gets burned. He's not gotten any better, and he never will. He doesn't use his hands at the line to control receivers. He opens his hips too quickly all of the time and doesn't have the quickness or speed to make up for his bad fundamentals. I know some like him, but he's very average to below average imo.
You know he used to really only be a boundary corner. We had to get him alot.of reps at nickel.

I hate to have to say this, but I don't like Williams, Crawley, or Robinson's work this year. I'd rather see Garner Johnson, or Hampton try to play the nickel like Jenkins used to. I'd also like to see what Hardee could do at nickel with the starters. As far WR goes, I don't think there's anyone on this site, or in the media who really knows about that position yet. Who knows, Ginn could end up getting cut with some of the young talent we have coming up. LB is completely up for grabs. I don't think there's any way they keep more than three tight ends, but who gets the boot there as well. DT, DE, O line? I mean everyone is pretty spot on about the starters, but after that there are still a lot of battles to be considered. I think we are loaded everywhere, but the corner spot right now.

Offense: 25
QB: Brees, Bridgewater, Hill
RB: Kamara, Murray, Washington, Ozigbo
FB: Line
TE: Cook, Hill, Derby, Arnold
WR: Thomas, Ginn, Smith, Kirkwood, Grayson, Harris
LT: Armstead, Ola, Newhouse
LG: Peat, Easton
C: McCoy, Tom
RG: Warford
RT: Ramczyk

Defense: 25
DE: Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Horton, Guston
DT: Brown, Onyemata, Stallworth, Hood, Edwards
LB: Anzelone, Klein, Davis, Robertson, Ellis, Biegel
SS: Bell, Gardner-Johnson
FS: Williams, Banjo, Hampton
CB: Lattimore, Apple, PJ, Robinson, Webster, Crawley, Hardee,

Special Teams: 3
LS: Wood
P: Morstead
K: Lutz

Rankins on IR... if not, then Guston gets cut.

Newhouse getting the 1st team reps when Armstead is on vet rest in camp and in preseason games and he's done well.

This take has Robertson missing time (per Deuce McAllister's report), so I give Biegel that spot.

PJ is our starting slot corner. He's taken all the practice reps with the 1's and the preseason game reps with the 1's. P-Rob is on the bubble.

Saying Crawley doesn't make the roster seems to be the new cool thing to do. I've never been cool. As quality depth, Crawley is better than most teams have behind their starters.

With Rankins out to start the season, I think Hood has a chance. But IMO, his best chance is if the Mario Edwards injury turns out to be something significant.

I like Derby, but all things considered, we keep a special teams contributor over him. As far as TEs go... Hill is safe in his role and Arnold is one of Sean Payton's pet projects. He keeps 2 or 3 of those on the team every year regardless what you, me, or anybody thinks about it. It's one of the perks of being a HOF SB-champion offensive genius head coach in the NFL.

The one player I'm on the fence about right now is Austin Carr. Somehow, I think he makes the team. That cuts out one guy on this list and ATM I'd think that would be Guston. But if Rankins does NOT go on IR to start the season, then Guston's not there to cut. If that's the case, then I think it's him or P-Rob. I kept P-Rob in this rendition, but honestly, I think it could easily go the other way.

Kirkwood won´t make the team if he doesn´t play during the pre season while Butler playing with the 1s means they like him.
I agree with other posters that you kept too many DTs. I would leave out Hood.
I like the depth chart at DE. I agree that Horton looks good and he´ll stick around.
I think they´ll find a way to keep both Biegel and Elliss.
I agree that Williams is not a lock to make the team.

Well, he's slow and tries to make up for it by being uninstinctual... He can only play nickel in underneath coverage. When in space, he gets burned. He's not gotten any better, and he never will. He doesn't use his hands at the line to control receivers. He opens his hips too quickly all of the time and doesn't have the quickness or speed to make up for his bad fundamentals. I know some like him, but he's very average to below average imo.

I think he was average to below average as our nickel corner last year. That is still very valuable and easily puts him on the roster. If an average nickel corner is your weakest link you're not in bad shape.

Last edited:
Offense: 25
QB: Brees, Bridgewater, Hill
RB: Kamara, Murray, Washington, Ozigbo
FB: Line
TE: Cook, Hill, Derby, Arnold
WR: Thomas, Ginn, Smith, Kirkwood, Grayson, Harris
LT: Armstead, Ola, Newhouse
LG: Peat, Easton
C: McCoy, Tom
RG: Warford
RT: Ramczyk

Defense: 25
DE: Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Horton, Guston
DT: Brown, Onyemata, Stallworth, Hood, Edwards
LB: Anzelone, Klein, Davis, Robertson, Ellis, Biegel
SS: Bell, Gardner-Johnson
FS: Williams, Banjo, Hampton
CB: Lattimore, Apple, PJ, Robinson, Webster, Crawley, Hardee,

Special Teams: 3
LS: Wood
P: Morstead
K: Lutz

Rankins on IR... if not, then Guston gets cut.

Newhouse getting the 1st team reps when Armstead is on vet rest in camp and in preseason games and he's done well.

This take has Robertson missing time (per Deuce McAllister's report), so I give Biegel that spot.

PJ is our starting slot corner. He's taken all the practice reps with the 1's and the preseason game reps with the 1's. P-Rob is on the bubble.

Saying Crawley doesn't make the roster seems to be the new cool thing to do. I've never been cool. As quality depth, Crawley is better than most teams have behind their starters.

With Rankins out to start the season, I think Hood has a chance. But IMO, his best chance is if the Mario Edwards injury turns out to be something significant.

I like Derby, but all things considered, we keep a special teams contributor over him. As far as TEs go... Hill is safe in his role and Arnold is one of Sean Payton's pet projects. He keeps 2 or 3 of those on the team every year regardless what you, me, or anybody thinks about it. It's one of the perks of being a HOF SB-champion offensive genius head coach in the NFL.

The one player I'm on the fence about right now is Austin Carr. Somehow, I think he makes the team. That cuts out one guy on this list and ATM I'd think that would be Guston. But if Rankins does NOT go on IR to start the season, then Guston's not there to cut. If that's the case, then I think it's him or P-Rob. I kept P-Rob in this rendition, but honestly, I think it could easily go the other way.

I like this better except Robertson. If he can come back in a reasonable amount of time for the season I don't see how he's not on the team. I don't think he's one of those guys that has to win a job in training camp. Did Deuce project him out for the year or just a few weeks?

I think the Crawley/Webster battle is a good one. Wouldn't criticize keeping either or even both.

I wouldn't hammer the table beyond the #2 RB, #3 WR and #2 TE. Tough decisions to make there. Those last few spots on defense also. Maybe they want a special teamer like J.T. Gray for example. Then you have to figure out who doesn't make it.

I also haven't given up on Sherels yet but he has to play.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t PJ missing the first few games to a suspension for DUI?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom