My 3 round mock plus complete Saints draft (1 Viewer)

id really hope we picked jarvis jones at that point. We really dont need a DEnd that high. With Hicks and Jordan we have the end spots settled with young talented players and i dont want to spend the first rounder on depth.

not nuts about the value of the quessenberry pick either but i think he isnt that bad a pick either.

dont like spending a pick on a qb when we have this many needs to fill. the last two picks i like a lot though

I have no problems with Datone Jones...I think he'd be a real good fit for us. In an ideal world we could trade down a bit and still pick him up.

Tayvon Austin would be a game changer though and I think they would think long and hard before passing him up.

I'm curious about Quessenberry. I think LT is our biggest need right now and unless Johnson falls into our laps, or we get an FA in the next few weeks. we need to find another guy to compete there. I've not seen any film on him. You think he's a guy to develop?

I have no problems with Datone Jones...I think he'd be a real good fit for us. In an ideal world we could trade down a bit and still pick him up.

Tayvon Austin would be a game changer though and I think they would think long and hard before passing him up.

I'm curious about Quessenberry. I think LT is our biggest need right now and unless Johnson falls into our laps, or we get an FA in the next few weeks. we need to find another guy to compete there. I've not seen any film on him. You think he's a guy to develop?

Dang it Belfast. I was hoping you would give us your input on him!

I'm gettng higher and higher on Arthur Brown. I don't give a squat about us having Vilma, Hawthorne for the weakside, I believe Brown could be better than both at this point in their careers. I like the Jones pick because Will Smith won't be here long at all.

Thanks for your input DraftFreak.

I don't believe I have an analyst "eye", so this question is strictly based on other scouting evaluations:
I've read that one of Jones flaws is that he tires quickly. Should this be a red flag? Also, do you believe Jarvis Jones has "elite" or "pro bowl" potential?
I would take Jarvis Jones if the draft turned out this way.

Dang it Belfast. I was hoping you would give us your input on him!

I just had a bit more of a look at the attached videos and some of the strengths draftfreak highlighted are there: athleticism, hustle and generally good technique. There are a few lowlights in those videos too and he does catch a bit more than you'd want and seems a little light in the pants. But that's just a fairly cursory look at him.

But as a guy to develop he does seem to have the feet to play LT.

The guy I like as a developmental LT is Kyle Long. He might be gone at 75 though. Terron Armstead will also likely be gone by then. Quessenberry seems like a decent option in the 3rd - 4th.

I like how this mock draft handles need and value. But I don't think drafting a backup QB is a priority at all.

Good work by the Draftfreak. Although everyone can disagree on any mock draft, I appreciate all of them, especially when you put reasoning and work into each pick. Even though its just for fun its a lot of work. :9:

I'm in a good mood, so I'll be nice. WR is a slight team need at best that would, could, or should be addressed in the later rounds. Drafting Tavon Austin, whom I love, would be great for the offense and return game, but doesn't fit how I believe the Saints are appraoching this draft - nor does it make this team better right away. You do realize that this is my mock draft??? Hmmm.

However, despite your back handed (being nice) sarcasm, Datone Jones is also rated in the top 20 to top 25 of most draft services as well. Since I am not Micky, I can only use conjecture and an educated hypothesis - the same as other draft experts and educated draft prognosticators. I have watched many of his tapes and I do know the Saints pretty well, so the prediction is more than fair and justifiable.

Like it or not.

:9: Of course, it is your mock draft and I offered a contrasting view to which you responded, "Heck no" on Patterson and then proceeded to argue that because Jones in your top 20, he would fit the BPA mold [presumably for the Saints]. "Heck no" might be true in "your" mock draft, not true in the Saints. And just because he fits your mold for the BPA does not "necessarily" (this is a qualifier that does not dismiss the possibility that you could end up being right) mean that the Saints will feel the same way. Let's look at Patrick Robinson as an example.

Second, this is not about where Datone Jones ranks insomuch as it is about where he ranks in relationship to certain players on the board. As I stated before, I like the kid. I think he is one of the most underrated prospects in the entire draft and a player who will wreak havoc on opposing teams from day 1. My disagreement of the pick aside, I felt your analysis of him is spot on. But just because he ranks in the in the top 20-25 on your list and/or on most draft sites does not mean he would necessarily qualify as the best player available if Austin and Patterson are on the board. The Saints might very well have both players ranked as top 10 players and Jones ranked 30th. Many of those same draft sites you cite, for instance, rank both Austin and Patterson higher. Or, it might be that they have Jones higher. Not saying, just saying.

Third, your statement, "I have watched many of his tapes and I do know the Saints pretty well" screams I am Mickey whether I am being sarcastic about it or not. And to be certain, my statement was indeed sarcastic. I am so glad you chose to be nice to me and not unleash a barrage of insults at me in response:rolleyes:. But there is a self-assuredness to your responses that allows for contrasting views insomuch as you inform us all that your tape watching and Saints-knowing grasp of things makes your 'opinion' more in line with what the Saints will do on draft day.

Finally, you don't have to watch tapes or know the Saints well for your prediction to be fair or justifiable. Our needs are very clear so as to say that a novice could draw up a mock and if the predictions included a top player at OLB, LT, WR, S, NT, DE, or CB, then the pick would be justifiable. I never argued it was not a fair pick, nor did I say it was not justifiable. Instead, I said I "THINK" the Saints would take Austin or Patterson. In other words, I gave an opinion in response to your 3-round opinion. But since you know the team so well, and because WR is only a slight need at best, and because you have watched tape of Jones, then my opinion--should the draft fall the way you have it here--won't happen.:9:

Sheldon at 24? I'd be stunned and PO'd if we passed on him.

This is another player who I left out but could very well get the nod over Jones. Richardson is widely considered a top 10-15 talent. It is not a knock against Jones to suggest that the Saints might consider players like Austin, Patterson, and Richardson over him. But when you watch tape of him and you know the Saints so well, I guess your opinions are more than opinions--they are facts. And the funny thing is that while I am being sarcastic, I do seriously admire the effort and thought draftfreak put into his mock. I even green-thumbed his thread. I just disagree with with his opinion of who we will pick not only in round 1 but also in the third round. I do not know who is available to judge adequately the other rounds.

One thing to keep an eye on draft day is a trade down...SF would make some sense...on the pick value chart, the #15 pick is worth 1050 pts, which would (within 1.4 draft value points to the Saints advantage) equal SF #1 (31), #2 (61), #3 (93), #5 (150).

Draftfreak always gives the most indepth draft threads yet his threads and mocks as well as being the most informative by far for some strange reason gets the most flak.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom