My adaware won't download new definitions! (1 Viewer)

SLAPNUTS

All-Pro
Reaction score
My Ad-aware hasn't downloaded any new definitions in 33 days. Any recommendations?
I have used that program, spybot, and AVG for years without difficulty, and my computer has always worked like a dream.
I can't find any viruses or spyware using my other programs, but sometimes in the past, Ad-aware would catch spyware that Spybot did not.
I simply get the message, "Error retrieving update".
Should I uninstall the program, and go back and redownload it?
It is the free version, but heck, it's worked great for years.
I appreciate any help.

Yeah, that's happening to everyone because Ad-aware SE 1.06 is no longer being updated. Ad-aware 2007 is out now, but I've stopped using it because it looks like they've screwed it up. From what I can tell the new application has to run in the background constantly instead of the old way, scanning it whenever you want.

Yeah, that's happening to everyone because Ad-aware SE 1.06 is no longer being updated. Ad-aware 2007 is out now, but I've stopped using it because it looks like they've screwed it up. From what I can tell the new application has to run in the background constantly instead of the old way, scanning it whenever you want.

You're right to an extent. Ad-Aware 2007 does add a service that runs at each start up (even in Safe Mode). I don't like the idea of that, but it doesn't take up a drastic amount of resources or anything. If that service is stopped or disabled, you cannot run adaware until that service is started.

It also has it's fair share of bugs with it, too. But it does find a lot more threats and removes them better than the old Adaware did.

Ahh...I was also wondering why my ad-aware wouldn't update.

Do I have to pay to get the ad-watch it installed on my computer. It says that I need plus or pro, but did anyone download that without having to pay and was still able to use it?

Ahh...I was also wondering why my ad-aware wouldn't update.

Do I have to pay to get the ad-watch it installed on my computer. It says that I need plus or pro, but did anyone download that without having to pay and was still able to use it?

No, you can still get Ad-Aware free. All the Plus or Pro editions do is put a real-time monitor (called Ad-Watch) thats supposed to actively help keep spyware out, rather than wait for you to run a scan.

IMO, you'll be fine with Ad-Aware 2007 free edition. Just make sure you run it every now and then.

As always guys, thanks a million. It was driving me nuts with the SE 1.06 version not updating. I was scared I had aquired a virus or something that was blocking it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom