Analysis My Analysis Of Players We Drafted and Undrafted Free Agents (2 Viewers)

This is some good stuff B Dog. Of all the players we brought in this offseason I'm most excited to see Kendre Miller. He's the guy who should come in and have an instant impact, especially to begin the season. The touches will be there and hopefully the O line will be healthy. I think our ground game is going to look much different this season.

This is some good stuff B Dog. Of all the players we brought in this offseason I'm most excited to see Kendre Miller. He's the guy who should come in and have an instant impact, especially to begin the season. The touches will be there and hopefully the O line will be healthy. I think our ground game is going to look much different this season.
I agree about the health of our O-Line. I believe when healthy, our O-Line is top 10 in the league. The health of our O-Line will depend on the success of Kendre Miller, Williams and Kamara when he comes back from suspension.

I watched some games and read some news clips and listened to a few interviews on Foskey and this is the analysis I came up with.

Isaiah Foskey- DE, Notre Dame
Height- 6'5" Weight- 264# 40 Time- 4.58 Vertical- 34" Bench Press- 22 Reps. Broad Jump- 125"

The Positives:
Foskey is a super productive elite athlete with a freakish combination of size, speed and explosion. He flashes strength at the point of attack with active, violent hand use. He's strong and forceful with his upper body to defeat blocks. Foskey has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He's instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly and finishing plays as an authoritive wrap-up blocker. He not only has long speed, but also an outstanding initial burst. From the games I watched, Foskey rarely gets beaten off the snap. He has great bend and enough flexibility to bend around the edge. Also has the ability to set the edge in the run game and he's at his best when he can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside. Foskey has impressive strong violent hands and uses them like clubs and his technique is already like that of a seasoned veteran from what I can see.

The Negatives:
Foskey does have a tendency to play too high at times and with poor balance and power. He'll lose ground at the point of attack and he doesn't get the full benefit of his length. He is more fast than quick and as a result, struggles at times to adjust if his initial move doesn't work, he over runs the play. At times Foskey can be beaten and taken out of the plays on run plays by running directly at him. He definitely will need to add some strength.

Final Thoughts:
Isaiah Foskey is an outstanding edge rusher who combines very good athletic ability and outstanding overall technique. I can see that his long limbs and strong core strength allows him to power through blockers, and he has the flexibility to loop inside and get home on twists. Foskey also adds an extra dimension on special teams-- Has blocked multiple punts. He is a strong hustle player. He will still need to add strength, which while not a major issue could limit his upside as a complete player. I can see him as a rotational player this season as he adds more strength and by next season will be a full time starter. he will see a lot of 3rd down packages this season, coming in as a speed rusher, which we have been missing for a long time.
Nice write up. No complaints here.

Nick Saldiveri- OL, Old Dominion
Height- 6'6" Weight- 318# 40 Time- 5.21 Bench Press- 24 Reps. Vertical- 31" Broad Jump- 112" (9'3")

The Positives:
Saldiveri shows excellent awareness when presented with stunts and blitzes and works well with teammates on combo blocks. He has adequate foot quickness to remain outside. Can get to the second level with surprising agility when adjusting to moving defenders. Saldiveri looks to be a real good technician as a pass protector, he plays with a wide base and very good balance. He also has heavy hands. He shows good quickness and flexibility on reach blocks and he has enough range to get out as a puller. He has good footwork and technique. Saldiveri has balanced and agile pass protection set, with excellent hand placement. He's also strong enough to control and plant linebackers and safeties attacking gaps.

The Negatives:
Saldiveri tends to slip off blocks at times when going against bigger D-Linemen and ends up finishing players on the ground. I saw it a few times in the games that I watched of him. It didn't happen that often, but every on in a while you would see him on the ground. We see that too much with Peat, always on the ground. Saldiveri is a solid all around O-Lineman, but he's not elite in any one area. I also noticed Saldiveri is more comfortable moving forward than sliding back as a protector.

My Final Thoughts:
Saldiveri has underrated athleticism, agility, balance and even straight-line speed. He is consistent with his kick slide and shows impressive lateral movement. He can be beat to the outside at times when playing tackle by speed rushers. But how many OT's haven't, so I'm not worried. Saldiveri showed me enough in limited snaps on film and at the Senior Bowl at Guard to offer inside-out versatility and will be a high quality backup or potential right tackle. He will need at least a season to better develop his technique. But I believe he can be a solid backup this season. We don't need him to be elite, just be a good solid healthy O-Lineman and just that can improve an O-Line.

It may take me a good while to give an analysis on Jake Haener. I'll have to look at a lot of game tape and breakdowns before I can put anything on paper. I've never done an analysis on a QB. It's harder to do an analysis on offensive players than defensive players. There's more you have to look at and look for with offensive players.

Jake Haener- QB, Fresno St.
Height- 6'0" Weight- 207# Hands- 9 3/8" Arms- 29 3/4" 40 Time- 4.82 Vertical- 35" Broad Jump- 114" (9'5") 3-Cone- 7.01

Well here goes, after 3 days of research.

The Positives:
Haener has very good above average, but not Elite arm strength. He can easily make most of the required NFL throws with decent deep passes. Ball placement is one of his strengths. He has fantastic timing on his throws, his receivers rarely have to work too hard getting to the ball. Haener has a high football IQ with great leadership qualities. He reads the defense well and is outstanding pre-snap calling audibles. Haener has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise. Does he remind y'all of anyone? He has good zip and ball placement on the quick slants. He has good touch down the seam and on post-corner and flag routes to attack defenses both vertically and horizontally. Haener is a great processor, he goes through his reads very quickly and is a very confident passer who shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Haener isn't lead-footed, but is also not an elite scrambler, but he does enough with his legs to buy time.

The Negatives:
Haener has a slight frame with limited room for additional growth. His arm strength is above average to very good, but not great. Haener sometimes loses accuracy and velocity when he is moved off his spot. He puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws. Can fail at times to give wide receivers a chance to make plays after the catch.

My Final Thoughts:
This is what I think we have in Jake Haener. I watched a bunch of his games, breakdowns, listened to interviews and read through some analysis' from other analysts and this is what I came up with.

This guy is very smart and has a high football IQ, he also has natural instincts. Haener can make quick reads and he is a very accurate passer. Haener is a real leader. From all the games I've watched he can make all the throws. He has good accuracy and timing on short throws when on the move to either side. He has the ability to lead receivers on deep routes. Haener has good anticipation and ball placement on intermediate routes.

I believe Haener is going to be the starter at some point. It may take 2 or 3 years to really hone his skills, but at some point, he may push Carr out and take over as the starter. Those analysts that did the evaluations and wrote the articles on how he's only going to be a backup or a short term starter due to his lack of size and elite arm strength, will look like idiots in a few years. You don't have to have elite arm strength or be the prototypical height to be a very good QB in the NFL. Drew Bees would beg to differ. We've had a QB on the roster on the roster with elite arm strength and prototypical height for the past 2 years, and where has that gotten us.

Well those are my thoughts and analysis on Haener.

We've had a QB on the roster on the roster with elite arm strength and prototypical height for the past 2 years, and where has that gotten us.

I'm going to point out that the statement above is really, kind of, unfair.....the QB we have on the roster you speak of incurred some injuries which prevented him from playing.....really nothing to do with ability, elite arm strength or height.....just availability......and I could go on about how a HC totally bungled the situation further.....but I won't......

That said I agree with your point in general, there is a long list of great QB's that have neither great athleticism nor elite arm strength. Accuracy, field vision and pocket awareness are more important overall.....

Also, great writeups Dogg, I've really enjoyed reading them.....

Jordan Howden- S, Minnesota
Height- 6'0" Weight- 203# 40 Time- 4.49 Vertical- 33.5" Bench Press- 14 Reps. Broad Jump- 119" (9'11")

The Positives:
Howden quickly diagnoses blocking schemes and immediately attacks run plays. He has adequate patience when scraping with run play development. Howden has smooth hip flip to match route breaks with timing. He's intelligent and instinctive on the back end as a deep safety. He can diagnose route combinations and flows with the quarterbacks eyes. Howden has smooth body control with the fluid ability to plant and redirect in any direction. Plays fast and decisive, arriving to the play with fierce intentions. Howden is quicker than he is fast, but he has adequate burst to close in zone coverage and plays physical at the line in man coverage. He's eager to come downhill as a tackler and plays with a physical edge and he's effective as a blitzer. He also transitions well from coverage to close on the ball.

The Negatives:
Howden is a little bit tight and straight-line-ish as an athlete and his backpedal is a little tight and upright. He also struggles when he has to mirror quicker wide receivers. The majority of the time, he was able to physically overwhelm opposing receivers early in the down in college, but that won't play out as often against receivers in the NFL. Howden has inconsistent tackling technique and too often just throws himself at the lower body of the ball carrier instead of wrapping up. He sometimes allows blocking receivers to get into his body, keeping him from making the play. Howden has a tendency to overrun his pursuit leverage at times and is sometimes unable to recover from bad pursuit angles, also his feet show stall in lateral change of direction.

My Final Thoughts:
From the the games and film breakdowns I was able to watch of Howden. Howden is a is a football-savvy free safety with very good instincts and play recognition, but a lack of acceleration and speed could create problems for Howden at the pro level. He has short area quickness but not enough explosiveness and long speed. That's something you can't teach is speed. Now, with his intelligence, instinctiveness, play recognition and savviness that may alleviate some of the speed problems. He's quick to diagnose the run, but will need to improve his tackling technique. I believe working on his tackling technique in both the run and pass defense, he could become a very decent backup. Howden has played a lot of football and can help on special teams, but he will need to prove himself on the field to show that he can play the safety position at least decent enough to make the rotation. He will be a project and probably for the time being get put on the practice squad to be developed.

A.T. Perry- WR, Wake Forrest
Height- 6'31/2" Weight- 200# 40 Time- 4.47 Vertical- 35" Broad Jump- 133" (11'1")

After watching some of Perry's games, film breakdowns, listening to a few of his interviews and reading some of his analysis'. This the analysis I came up with.

The Positives:
Perry is a tall wideout with elite arm length. He possesses prototypical measurables for an X outside receiver. Perry has outstanding athletic ability. He carries very good long speed on vertical routes. He's able to stutter and beat press. Perry shows corners a variety of speeds early in his routes. Perry has the resilience to play through grabby, physical coverage. He has loose ankles that allow for tight cornering and cuts and the feet to evade a tackle and the size to break one. Perry uses his lateral quickness to adjust attack angles and manage space. He's very good in contested-catch situations, using his frame effectively to make plays facing the Quarterback. Perry also shows a knack high-pointing the ball, consistently outmuscling defensive backs. He is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.

The Negatives-
Despite Perry having very good hands, he does at times suffer from concentration/focus drops. He allows the football to get on top of him, leading to drops. He isn't particularly strong and while he is tall he isn't dominant physically and his timing can be disrupted by bigger DB's. He doesn't block as well as you'd expect given his size, he will need some development in this area. Perry is more fast than he is quick and also lacks suddenness at times as a route runner.

My Final Thoughts:
Perry is an exceptional accelerator in the open field. for his size, he moves like gazelle. He has excellent long speed and he's really light on his feet and fleet-footed moving upfield. He also has good lateral speed. Perry's athletic makeup is intriguing, but what I find is his best trait is, without a doubt, is his elite catching instincts. He waits until the last second to reach out to catch the ball as to not telegraph to the DB that the ball is is coming. Yes from time to time he has a problem with concentration/focus leading to some drops. I noticed most of that comes when the passes are low and out of his wheelhouse. But that can be corrected with coaching. I watched him in some games make difficult catches. Perry is very flexible and adaptable as a pass catcher, even in high pressure moments. He can contort his body in unnatural ways to make the catch on tough passes. He's not just a homerun deep threat, Perry is also effective on slants, posts, quick outs and comebacks. He also needs to improve as a run blocker. That will come as he adds more muscle to his frame to be able to help him take on rigors of being able to block the bigger DB's and LB'ers.

Just a note but when I read through some of the analysists analysis', for everything they say he does good, they contradict themselves and say he not good at what they say he does good. It really makes them look like they don't know what they're talking about. Do they even watch the games and breakdowns? I tried not to do that and just went by what I saw with my limited knowledge of what I was looking at.

Well here we go with the undrafted free agents.

SaRodorick Thompson- RB, Texas Tech.
Height- 6'0" Weight- 215# 40 Time- 4.67 Vertical- 32 1/2" Broad Jump- 120" (10') 3-Cone-7.25

The Positives:
Thompson has very good vision and a knack for picking out cut-back lanes and then breaking off chunks of yardage. He has twitchy feet for tight cuts to escape trouble. He balances through contact to keep the run moving. Thompson can set up open-field tacklers to overrun the play. He blends good size and speed, as well as a competitive demeanor of a playmaker. He's a quick, smooth athlete with the footwork to make sharp cuts and redirect his momentum in a flash and he shows good vision and patience with natural running instincts. Thompson shows very good balance between the tackles, running behind his pads and packing the power to move the pile. Thompson accelerates off the line better than most big receivers. Thompson also has impressive abilities as a pass-catcher as well as a pass protector.

The Negatives:
Thompson must become more decisive earlier with his carries. He's not a pure 3rd down talent, but can play the role if needed. He has just average burst as an interior runner. He leaves yards on the field after the catch by dancing around too much at times. His hands are very good, but Thompson doesn't have much experience as a route runner and might not be a guy you flex out wide. He has a very limited route tree.

My Final Thoughts:
Thompson is a quick, explosive back with nice cutback ability and he is scheme versatile. He's a hard-nosed runner who constantly keeps his legs churning and fights for that extra yardage. Thompson possesses what I call good contact balance, in the games I watched him, he bounces off tacklers which enables him to to fall forwards and on occasion break free for chunks of yardage. Thompson doesn't have elite speed but from what I've seen from his game tape, he has good enough burst and acceleration to rip off big runs. He also demonstrated good 3rd down usage both as a pass catcher on screens and swing passes and as a pass protector, consistently stone-walling oncoming blitzers. In my opinion, Thompson has a lot of potential and with good coaching could be a solid contributor in the run and pas offense. There's a chance he may not make the final 53, so I can see the Saints maybe stashing him on the IR so he doesn't get poached off the practice squad. He has too much talent to leave him unprotected I believe at some point he could make the 53 roster.

Y'all are all welcome. I'm having fun with doing this. I'm finding out that the front office and coaches went out picked the best players and signed undrafted rookies that fit what the offense and defense do best and are the best fits for the team. It looks like they're trying to build an offensive juggernaut. I'm anxious and excited to see what our Saints will do this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom