My AR does not like steel (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Last few trips out, I've had steel jam in my rifle. Today, I shot 90 rounds of brass with no issues. I had a few boxes of steel so I loaded them up. First shot, jam! I am guessing that the barrel is too hot and is expanding the steel. After I finally got it out, it looks like the lip was bent back. I have 1100 rounds of steel 223. Will this eventually get better the more I shoot or should I just sell them all and get brass? I don't shoot often. Once a month or so I'll shoot 200+-.

On this same subject, is .45 cents a round for steel Tulammo too high?

Last few trips out, I've had steel jam in my rifle. Today, I shot 90 rounds of brass with no issues. I had a few boxes of steel so I loaded them up. First shot, jam! I am guessing that the barrel is too hot and is expanding the steel. After I finally got it out, it looks like the lip was bent back. I have 1100 rounds of steel 223. Will this eventually get better the more I shoot or should I just sell them all and get brass? I don't shoot often. Once a month or so I'll shoot 200+-.

On this same subject, is .45 cents a round for steel Tulammo too high?

$.45 per round for range ammo is high in my opinion.

Exact same magazines? Mighty want to try mixing then up. Also springs can be too tight In new guns. Mine jammed bad When it was new. I read to leave the breech open and let it sit like that to loosen tension on the spring. That really seemed to work for me. And never load the mags too tight. One other thing is that you really need to clean it after shooting it of its gas fed.

Exact same magazines? Mighty want to try mixing then up. Also springs can be too tight In new guns. Mine jammed bad When it was new. I read to leave the breech open and let it sit like that to loosen tension on the spring. That really seemed to work for me. And never load the mags too tight. One other thing is that you really need to clean it after shooting it of its gas fed.

Same magazines. I brought 3 mags today and shot all 3 with brass... loaded one up with steel and jammed.

I miscalculated. It would be 40 cents a round, not 45. Basically charging a little more than $1 a box over what I paid to cover all the trips to the store to get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom