My bad beat this weekend (poker) (1 Viewer)

My worst beat EVER was a satellite tourney to the PokerStars Carribean Poker Invitational in the Bahamas. Top two spots win a $15k prize package, 10k entry, 2k travel, 2k hotel/meals, and 1k spending cash.

I battled for 6 hours to get to the final table and another 90 minutes to get to the top 3. The chips shuffled around the table with each of us taking a turn being chip-leader and short-stack. For the final hand, I was 2nd chip stack with about 35% of the chips. Big stack had about half the chips and the other guy had the remaining 15ish%.

I was on the button and picked up an AK suited. I raised, short stack folded in small blind and big stack re-raised me. I could/should have shoved here, but after almost 8 hours grinding, I was playing ultra-careful, so I just called to see a flop.

Flop comes A-K-4 rainbow. Big-stacks shoves. My first thought is NO WAY he has 44 or he would not open-shove or re-raise me pre-flop. Second thought was, I doubt he has AA or KK because I have one of each, and he would not open-shove top set. Third thought was he probably doesn't have a strong ace either or he wouldn't open-shove. The open-shove confused me, so ultimately I went back to Caro's fundamental theory of tells, strong means weak and weak means strong. This guy open-shoved, strong move, so his hand was weak. I asked for time, and thought some more. It sucks trying to decide in 3 minutes how to play a hand for $15K.

I finally decided to put him on a weak ace, like A-J or A-T or A-9, and called. He said he did not think I could call him. I flip AK and he flips QJ. Turn was a blank. River was a Ten. I sat stunned for a good minute. Then I called my momma and cried. She made me feel better, but still...

Well, it was bad beat for sure. But, I think you have to cut the guy a little slack -- it was, after all, heads up play. It does sound like a bad play though, putting all your chips at risk to take down little more than the blinds when your stacks are close to even.

Oh no..... the only way some slack would be givin is if the guy had a big chip lead over TenTwo. Then he has the chips to do it and can gamble on it. Risking your tourney life on a 4.... with one over already shown is just bad play.

Question Ten two??? what did the winner beat third and fouth place with?
garbage or the nuts?

Oh no..... the only way some slack would be givin is if the guy had a big chip lead over TenTwo. Then he has the chips to do it and can gamble on it. Risking your tourney life on a 4.... with one over already shown is just bad play.

garbage or the nuts?

I believe that I read that the guy had pocket aces.

This is a donkey push by the villian. I know that a pair heads up is playable but there's no way that I would go all in with it unless I could afford to lose the chips. My guess is that they guy was tired and was willing to accept the $1500 if he lost. I know that I struggle with making good decisions when I get tired and I would imagine that most do. I always do well when I play with patience and it looks like that guy didn't.

TenTwo... You got in with the odds on your side. You had no choice but to call.

garbage or the nuts?

The other guy did the pushing, he wasn't calling. Like I already said, I am not crazy about the move. However, I also understand that you take more risks heads up and when the blinds get that high aggression and luck are your best friends. Sometimes you push and get caught.

garbage or the nuts?

He had pocket Aces...it was a dream scenario.

And to those wondering about the $25 to win 4K thing, there is a tournament every Friday night with 40-60 players, with a $10 rebuy for 1000 chips (you start with 2000). This is how the pot gets built. On the Quarterly tournament, we still pay $25 bucks but there is no rebuy option. If you win multiple tournements you get extra chips for the big tourney. I played in the Friday qualifier one time, got second place and won a seat and $50. So basically it cost me nothing to play.

There is a similar tournament on Saturday nights except it pays cash. I've murdered that tournament this year.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom