My bad beat this weekend (poker) (1 Viewer)

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I played in a poker tournament last Friday night. It is a tournament held once every 4 months, and you have to win a qualifier to participate in it. Well, a while back, I won the Friday night qualifier and this weekend was the big show...and no, it wasn't online. I don't play online much anymore.

I showed up in my Brees Jersey. It's authentic and I pimp it. It's also good luck. I played well in the tournament and got a pretty good cheap lead going with about 15 players remaining; we started with about 50. It was cool to hear people talking about me and referring to me as "Brees". They were scared of the Breesus...:ezbill:

anyways...I grinded, bullied and out moved my competition to the final 2. The winner of the tournament got $4000...2nd place paid $1500. (it cost $25 to play in this). I went into the headsup match with a significant chip disadvantage b/c the other guy took 3rd and 4th place out in one hand. I battled my way back to get to an even stack and then this happened:

I limp in, on the button with T3 offsuit. My opponent tapped the table. Fairly unusual event as most pots were won or at least raised before the flop.

The Flop:
T 3 4

My opponent says "all in".

I do not hesistate, I call knowing that top and bottom pair in a spot like this is gold.

My opponent shows 94 off suit. I am way ahead. He has no draw...a 9 can't even help unless he catches running cards.

The Turn:

Blank

At this point, I am a 95% favorite to win...by the way, we are both all in as we have the EXACT same chip count...pretty crazy.

The River:

Can you believe it...the river was one of the last two 4s in the deck.

I lost.:covri:

I've been beaten by 2 outters before. I've been beaten by a one outter. I've lost holding a straight flush...but this bad beat...$2500, which is a lot of money for me, ranks at the very top.

I've never been so mad to win $1500. To make it worse, the guy was self serving after he won, telling me how he played in this tournament for 3 years and his daughter loves him, blah, blah, blah.

I bit my tongue, shook his hand, told him "good game" (which it was) and stood in shock staring at that 4. Poker can be a cruel game.

That's why it's called gambling, but what kind of Donkey goes all in on a 9-4? It's an obvious bluff and then tries to pretend it was a well-played hand? It was a suckout.

When the poker gods come to me and ask if I want poker skill or poker luck, I'm going for poker luck every time...

Sorry to hear about your bad beat...all you can do sometimes is get your money in while you're ahead and the percentages in your favor...and you had both in spades.

I played in a poker tournament last Friday night. It is a tournament held once every 4 months, and you have to win a qualifier to participate in it. Well, a while back, I won the Friday night qualifier and this weekend was the big show...and no, it wasn't online. I don't play online much anymore.

I showed up in my Brees Jersey. It's authentic and I pimp it. It's also good luck. I played well in the tournament and got a pretty good cheap lead going with about 15 players remaining; we started with about 50. It was cool to hear people talking about me and referring to me as "Brees". They were scared of the Breesus...:ezbill:

anyways...I grinded, bullied and out moved my competition to the final 2. The winner of the tournament got $4000...2nd place paid $1500. (it cost $25 to play in this). I went into the headsup match with a significant chip disadvantage b/c the other guy took 3rd and 4th place out in one hand. I battled my way back to get to an even stack and then this happened:

I limp in, on the button with T3 offsuit. My opponent tapped the table. Fairly unusual event as most pots were won or at least raised before the flop.

The Flop:
T 3 4

My opponent says "all in".

I do not hesistate, I call knowing that top and bottom pair in a spot like this is gold.

My opponent shows 94 off suit. I am way ahead. He has no draw...a 9 can't even help unless he catches running cards.

The Turn:

Blank

At this point, I am a 95% favorite to win...by the way, we are both all in as we have the EXACT same chip count...pretty crazy.

The River:

I've been beaten by 2 outters before. I've been beaten by a one outter. I've lost holding a straight flush...but this bad beat...$2500, which is a lot of money for me, ranks at the very top.

I've never been so mad to win $1500. To make it worse, the guy was self serving after he won, telling me how he played in this tournament for 3 years and his daughter loves him, blah, blah, blah.

I bit my tongue, shook his hand, told him "good game" (which it was) and stood in shock staring at that 4. Poker can be a cruel game.

wow that is a hard pill to swallow. I am a poker player myself although I hardly get to play anymore.

You have to keep your head up though. I know it was hard losing like that but look at the bright side. You won the qualifer to get in the tourney, you played well and got a good chip lead, you made it to the final two, you fought hard and got even with a guy who had a large chip lead on you when you were heads up which is hard to do, and you finished second and profited $1475. Not a bad night at the tables to say the least.

Just know you played well, did everything you could, and you turned out on the positive side of things.

All you can do in poker is put yourself in the position to win the majority of the time. Bad beats happen and there is nothing you can do about them.

Enjoy your winnings

T

wow that is a hard pill to swallow. I am a poker player myself although I hardly get to play anymore.

You have to keep your head up though. I know it was hard losing like that but look at the bright side. You won the qualifer to get in the tourney, you played well and got a good chip lead, you made it to the final two, you fought hard and got even with a guy who had a large chip lead on you when you were heads up which is hard to do, and you finished second and profited $1475. Not a bad night at the tables to say the least.

Just know you played well, did everything you could, and you turned out on the positive side of things.

All you can do in poker is put yourself in the position to win the majority of the time. Bad beats happen and there is nothing you can do about them.

Enjoy your winnings

T

Very good advice and thanks for the perspective. I am normally very good at taking bad beats but the finality of this one was really hard to stomach. You never want to play thinking some higher power is against you. Who knows, maybe the guy really needed the money and it was just his lucky night...I mean, he did take out 3rd and 4th place holding pocket Aces...and all the money was in before the flop.

That's why it's called gambling, but what kind of Donkey goes all in on a 9-4? It's an obvious bluff and then tries to pretend it was a well-played hand? It was a suckout.

To be fair, the blinds were huge at that point...about 1/8th of our remaining stack. He caught a pair and wanted to protect it. I really don't fault his play...except, he had no read on me and then basically dismissed the miracle that had just happened.

To be fair, the blinds were huge at that point...about 1/8th of our remaining stack. He caught a pair and wanted to protect it. I really don't fault his play...except, he had no read on me and then basically dismissed the miracle that had just happened.

I think you'd feel better if he had just said, "Man that was a lucky river."

Damn man, that's tough luck.. Coincidentally, I got knocked out of a 45 man tourney online last night in a similar situation.. Final two and all.

I hate it when I get beat by a "Prayer on the river". Happened to me twice the last time I played. Had chip lead to start the final 3 player showdown by a lot. Was out in 5 hands, 3rd place...

$25 buy in.

50 players.

1st place gets 4k.

Count me in the next time you play.

Last edited:
There's a hilarious youtube video on the interwebs about bad beats. This one has snippets of the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest spliced into a montage of bad beats this guy has taken in online tournament play.

The River:

that is awful.....and for that guy to think that was good play. i would of went off on him like phil helmuth....freakin amateurs.

9 4 all in???????? this has donkey written all over it.

I was wondering about that, too.

Is it $25 to get in the qualifier, and your entry into the main event is free if you win?

I guess it has to be something along those lines. That's a good number of satellites to build up the prize pool that much considering the $25 buy in. Maybe that is why it is only held every few months.

that is awful.....and for that guy to think that was good play. i would of went off on him like phil helmuth....freakin amateurs.

9 4 all in???????? this has donkey written all over it.

Well, it was bad beat for sure. But, I think you have to cut the guy a little slack -- it was, after all, heads up play. It does sound like a bad play though, putting all your chips at risk to take down little more than the blinds when your stacks are close to even.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom