My Coach reqmt for assistant defensive coaches (1 Viewer)

paxsaint

Veteran
Reaction score
1) Coaches required to be motivators and teachers.
2) Speed and smarts a requirement for the talent pool of Linebackers and special teamers.
3) Playmakers and good tacklers a requirement plus need players to go back to fundamentals and rap up when tackling.

Do you think former players would be a good fit? I ask because Campbell, Young, and Glenn are highly regarded here, and both played in the league. Maybe bring in some former players to be assistant coaches. We don't have to go and bring in Vilma, Harper, and Champ Bailey exactly, but perhaps having some guys with skins on the wall will help our young players understand what is being asked of them.

First off I think #1 the coach has to have a good background in Talent evaluations/Coaching up Talent for the LB position. People don't realize just how similar Martez Wilson and Stephone Anthony were. Both were workout wonders. Both flamed out for the same reasons. Nearly same size/speed things.

Vitt was here for both so that tells me he had a hand in picking both players. His imprint is all over them.

With that being said Anthony is only going into his 3rd year of what could possibly be a 5 year contract at a discounted rate for a good MLB if he can develop. His growth needs to be objective #1 this offseason.

My requirement: One of them has to be Ray Lewis.

Ok, not really. But a former player that was some kind of animal would be great.

1) Coaches required to be motivators and teachers.
2) Speed and smarts a requirement for the talent pool of Linebackers and special teamers.
3) Playmakers and good tacklers a requirement plus need players to go back to fundamentals and rap up when tackling.

I guess that's what every HC thinks they are getting, and what every assistant strives for.

Then why do they fail?

Because football is a game of pain. Most new coaches can convince the players to play their best (take the most pain) for a few games. Better coaches can keep their players playing all out for a couple of years. Only the best coaches can keep their players playing at the highest level year after year. They're pretty rare. They may be former players, or not. They may be young, or old. They may be emotional, or not. The players may love them, or not. However, the players always respect them and play hard for them.

Same with talent evaluation. Some coaches can see fail or greatness in a player in a 10 minute workout or film. Some never get it that a player isn't NFL caliber. There's no explaining it, because even some excellent coaches can't evaluate talent to save their lives.

Ditka was a train wreck, but he could spot a good O lineman a mile away. He wouldn't know a good RB if he landed on his head. I guess Walter Payton was a stroke of luck, or found by someone other than Ditka.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom