My computer is making a surging noise... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
After I boot my computer (Compaq 7500), it starts making a surging sound (like a engine revving) intermittently. It mainly does it when I'm not on the net, when my computer is "idle". It will continue to do this when I reboot. What causes this, how serious is it and what can be done about it? Thanks.

Geaux Saints, Hornets and LSU!!!

if you can open the case you should be able to track down the noise - its will be mechanical,

a fan or hard drive

Fan would be my guess also. Open task manager and see if it corresponds to your CPU usage. The fan could be clogged with dust or the bearings/bushings might be wearing out if the noise is louder than normal and not tied to CPU usage.

Yes, I would think fan as well. Mine did this a while back and I opened it up to find that plenty of dust had made a home in there. I cleaned it all out and the revving stopped. Hope that's all you'll have to do as well.

It could also be an optical drive - I had one that was bugging out on me and wanting to start the CD or DVD at random times and was never able to diagnose the problem after swapping out the cables and doing everything I could think of - good thing they are cheap because replacement fixed it.

Opening the case will tell you where the problem is - fan (several fans in the system usually - at the front and back of the case, on your processor, maybe on your GPU), hard drive, or optical drive

It could also be an optical drive - I had one that was bugging out on me and wanting to start the CD or DVD at random times and was never able to diagnose the problem after swapping out the cables and doing everything I could think of - good thing they are cheap because replacement fixed it.

Opening the case will tell you where the problem is - fan (several fans in the system usually - at the front and back of the case, on your processor, maybe on your GPU), hard drive, or optical drive

i second this.

my office computer at work makes a lot of noise from the CD drive when i use it. i hardly ever use it, but on boot up it makes noise for a few seconds while i checks for a bootable disc.

i had a hard drive in my personal computer that used to make a lot of noise. back then i couldnt afford to go buy a new drive, so i just put up with the noise. luckily i got a spare drive from a friend and transferred all of the data before it went kaput.

Yes, I would think fan as well. Mine did this a while back and I opened it up to find that plenty of dust had made a home in there. I cleaned it all out and the revving stopped. Hope that's all you'll have to do as well.

I did the same thing, blew out the dust and replaced the fan. Good as new !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom