my computer is running 3 times slower than normal (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
hey folks im not to bright when it comes to computer, so i need some advice. my computer is running at least 3 times slower than normal. i have defraged. checked for errors. checked for spy ware, and did a virus scan...
how can i find out how fast the hard drive is suppose to be writing and how fast it is writing.
where i notice the problem the most is when i burn movies. it did take like 20 mins now it takes like 2 hours.... any ideas......

how many processes are running? if youve got too many things running, itll definitely take longer to burn.

hit ctrl alt del and check the running processes, and how much RAM and processor % they are using. look at the ones that are using the most, and see if they are programs that you dont need to be running while you burn a disc. also, look for unfamiliar processes, one of them may be some malware hogging resources.

i cant figure it out.. i have nothing running that should slow it down.. and i ran the above test and computer rates very high ...

Have you made changes to your AV software/settings? It's possible that your AV software is actively scanning the files (s) as they are written to the HD, which can be a huge performance hit.

Go to the system control panel and make sure it's seeing all of your RAM. Also, check to see if your hard drive is getting full.

Do you have Norton? Worst. Software. Ever. (tm)

Do you have Norton? Worst. Software. Ever. (tm)

agreed.. I have been using Avast Home Edition for over 5 years & I haven't had any problems & it is free.

to the thread starter... (how much memory do you have in your computer?)

You could have a bad stick of memory in your computer. You can replace the memory and increase the memory pretty cheap. Probably the best upgrade you can do for the $$$.

That's happened to me before. Of course it is impossible for me to say what your problem is, but what worked for me was flashing the DVD writer to the most recent firmware available.

i have 148g hard drive and im using 51 g.
i use avg for my av
and i have spybot and ad aware se for spyware protection

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom