My defensive thoughts (1 Viewer)

JGunn

Very Banned
Reaction score
I'm keep reading how numerous people say the defense is bad. Our defense is not as bad as alot of people keep saying. I have watched torrents of the past 2 games like 5 times each, and I notice A, our run defense is pretty stout, B, we are begining to become a very opportunistic turnover creating defense, C, most teams we have played regardless of the QB has got trash yards in the 4th quarter! FACT!

I would go down the alphabet but I'll just skip to F and say people that keep saying our defense is horrbile = FAIL!

They only thing I see us having problems with thus far is big plays. But thats going to happen when you blitz on ANY level. I'm not sayin we are the defense of the year, but remember what you see or at least pay close attention to the games before you make it sound like we are soft.

This is a new defense and a much better defense. I know some of you will have the opposite to state, but I know football and I know what I've seen.

I just wanted to edit real quick, I don't think I'm being a homer nor going too far. Thoughts?

I've watched both games several times. I've come away impressed with most things I've seen. The biggest improvement in my opinion is the coverage we are getting from our DB's. In that statement, I'm including CB's and Safeties. Greer has come in and done a wonderful job. We had Porter last season but he was stashed away on IR. I know I don't even have to say this but Darren Sharper>>>>>>>>Josh Bullocks. Harper is having a better season but still has some improving to do in coverage.

The LB play has been excellent. Every run play that gets past their D-Line, ends with Shanle or Vilma or both.

Everyone just needs to Give Gregg Williams a full season in with this new defensive scheme. Everyone will have a much better grasp of this scheme by the start of next season. In addition to that, I expect more pieces to be in place on this defense as well.

The Saints have played basically 3 out of 8 quarters of play so fair in prevent mode. I think there is something to be said about giving up a lot of yardage in prevent and garbage time.

The TD to DeSean Jackson in the Eagles game was definitely a bad defensive lapse, and the 64-yarder to Calvin Johnson was after Tracy Porter left the game with an injury.

This is not a really good defense yet, but it is better than the D was the last 2 seasons.

I've watched both games several times. I've come away impressed with most things I've seen. The biggest improvement in my opinion is the coverage we are getting from our DB's. In that statement, I'm including CB's and Safeties. Greer has come in and done a wonderful job. We had Porter last season but he was stashed away on IR. I know I don't even have to say this but Darren Sharper>>>>>>>>Josh Bullocks. Harper is having a better season but still has some improving to do in coverage.

The LB play has been excellent. Every run play that gets past their D-Line, ends with Shanle or Vilma or both.

Everyone just needs to Give Gregg Williams a full season in with this new defensive scheme. Everyone will have a much better grasp of this scheme by the start of next season. In addition to that, I expect more pieces to be in place on this defense as well.

I was gonna type those almost exact words bro, I'm glad you did lol. But yes everything you said is dead on. On another note, the last game, our DE's are having problems getting to the QB less than I thought they would have. I hope they are in beast mode Sunday, cause if we can get a good pass rush going, Edwards will have a long day!

The Saints have played basically 3 out of 8 quarters of play so fair in prevent mode. I think there is something to be said about giving up a lot of yardage in prevent and garbage time.

The TD to DeSean Jackson in the Eagles game was definitely a bad defensive lapse, and the 64-yarder to Calvin Johnson was after Tracy Porter left the game with an injury.

This is not a really good defense yet, but it is better than the D was the last 2 seasons.

Yes commish your correct, we are not a great defense, but some people when they bring up our defense make us seem like bottom feeders, and that is just not fair to our D corps.

The defense is built and designed to play exactly like it is playing. Bend but don't break while the game is close and always tries to get the turnover. With the offense hitting on all cylinders like is has been the last two game and they build a lead, the D plays it safe but it is still opportunistic.
I will be curious to see how they play when the offense is not clicking and they are called upon to win a game.
Regardless, you can see a change in the mentality of the D and the players are embracing it. One thing to consider is that we have not seem Williams really put together, or call a game that has made him one of the best. What we have seen is his fundamentals. When he has to go against a good O, like this weekend, I expect to see some wrinkles and a game plan that will be refreshing.

I'm keep reading how numerous people say the defense is bad. Our defense is not as bad as alot of people keep saying. I have watched torrents of the past 2 games like 5 times each, and I notice A, our run defense is pretty stout, B, we are begining to become a very opportunistic turnover creating defense, C, most teams we have played regardless of the QB has got trash yards in the 4th quarter! FACT!

I would go down the alphabet but I'll just skip to F and say people that keep saying our defense is horrbile = FAIL!

They only thing I see us having problems with thus far is big plays. But thats going to happen when you blitz on ANY level. I'm not sayin we are the defense of the year, but remember what you see or at least pay close attention to the games before you make it sound like we are soft.

This is a new defense and a much better defense. I know some of you will have the opposite to state, but I know football and I know what I've seen.

I just wanted to edit real quick, I don't think I'm being a homer nor going too far. Thoughts?
Regardless of QB is a pretty big statement. The QB has a lot to do with it. I haven't heard many people on the board say your defense is bad. All i keep hearing is how great the pass D is and how stout the Run D is.

I still think its too early to tell how any defense is going to be. One thing that i think is known by everyone on the board is 1) Your secondary looks much better 2) You still need to find someone to get to the QB.

If it were me I'd bench Grant for McCray. He looked solid last year. He looked like the best rushing DE yall had.

Yup, I cannot wait to see how this defense progresses throughout the year. I love how aware the players are of the ball when the opposing player is being tackled. Those little things we were missing are now appearing and it is very refreshing.

Regardless of QB is a pretty big statement. The QB has a lot to do with it. I haven't heard many people on the board say your defense is bad. All i keep hearing is how great the pass D is and how stout the Run D is.

I still think its too early to tell how any defense is going to be. One thing that i think is known by everyone on the board is 1) Your secondary looks much better 2) You still need to find someone to get to the QB.

If it were me I'd bench Grant for McCray. He looked solid last year. He looked like the best rushing DE yall had.

Well it's what some poeple think as a whole. Media, Blogs, Analysts...etc..
However, the secondary on a football team benefits from the play as a defense as a whole. So the early success of the Saints secondary play is reflective of the entire defensive play. Though some plays have been individual. But I get what your saying. Thanks

i think the defense has played very well, exception being the 2 big plays. if you erase those 2 big plays, then they have basically played perfect IMO.

Grant is off the field on passing downs. But yes you are right, we need to find someone who can get to the QB from the end. It sucks that we have our hands tied with Smith and Grant. They haven't been as horrible as people say, but I was hoping that Williams would get a bit more out of them. Time will tell.

Grant is off the field on passing downs. But yes you are right, we need to find someone who can get to the QB from the end. It sucks that we have our hands tied with Smith and Grant. They haven't been as horrible as people say, but I was hoping that Williams would get a bit more out of them. Time will tell.
We are in the same situation with Jamal Anderson. I don't care what anyone says the reason his production is so low is because he is lazy.

We are in the same situation with Jamal Anderson. I don't care what anyone says the reason his production is so low is because he is lazy.
I've been hearing talk of him moving inside on some downs. How is that working so far? I'm guessing it's only during passing downs since he's only around 290?:idunno:

I've been hearing talk of him moving inside on some downs. How is that working so far? I'm guessing it's only during passing downs since he's only around 290?:idunno:
Well people "claim" that he is a good run stopping DE which i have yet to see. I think he is an avg run stopping DE and an awful pass rushing DE. From what i have seen from inside he doesn't look like an upgrade over anyone. The only reason i am ok with him is just to have a rotation on the D line.

If I remember correctly when Grant was getting to the QB we were HORRIBLE against the run . Maybe GW wants him to focus on nothing but run stoppage. I dunno , at one time he was regarded as a great DE and I would really hate to think it's dropped just because he's lazy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom