My draft grades (1 Viewer)

Putting things into perspective here. Coming into this draft, I really don't know a lot of these players. This past year has been a very unique year because of Covid. There aren't a lot of hype around these players, except for the big name schools. All these names that was drafted, I have never heard of it until the time their name was called. I wasn't happy about it and was reminiscing about the 2014 draft and thinking a repeat of that.

But unlike that draft, the players selected this year were productive with their teams. The only thing that bothered me AT FIRST is not the players but the value at where they were drafted. Maybe we could of gotten these players later but the chances of getting any of these players later on are slim.

These players may not fit into everyone radar or popular with the talking heads, but these are pretty good players and I get the feelings some of them might surprise you.

1. Payton Turner. B-. This was a reach but his ceiling is high

2. Pete Werner. C After watching additional film he's a good patient run defender but is not the best in coverage. Looses his man and does not hold proper leverage in coverage. We needed a better coverage LB to compliment DD.

3.Paulson Adebo. B Two yeas ago he was stellar. Then regressed a bit. Then sat out.... He has all the physical tools and at points has played at a very high level.

4. Ian Book. D. I don't ever see him competing for a starting job at QB in the league so what's the point

5. Landin Young. A+. Great value. Smart. Skilled O-line player. Maybe our best pick of the draft.

6. Kawaan Baker. B. Good selection for the 7th round. The guy has skills, and is not just a 1 trick pony. I would have preferred Terry from FSU but seems like the same type of player.

The fact we didn't draft a TE makes me think (even moreso now) that SP has plans for Taysom to play a TE type roll much more often. Of course that is assuming that Jamies wins the starter roll, which is far from certain....but perhaps this is an early clue? or just nonsense....
SMH...Who still thinks Taysom has a chance at qb?! If SP wanted Taysom to be QB1, Jameis wouldn’t be here! Hold Ur Breath Tho!

I thought the quality drop between positions DE, LB and CB were in order

SMH...Who still thinks Taysom has a chance at qb?! If SP wanted Taysom to be QB1, Jameis wouldn’t be here! Hold Ur Breath Tho!
He has a chance. Maybe not the best chance, but I mean, Jameis could sustain an injury in camp, then boom. Taysom starts. However, it’s Jameis’ to lose. Not every day a player of his caliber falls into your lap at that contract, at the most important position.

Mine:

1. Payton Turner DE Houston (A+) : We wanted to move up and draft our top corner but couldn't not find a reasonable trade. So we went for the best player available according to OUR scouting. And as a bonus, it was a DE which is right up there with LT and CB when it comes to positional value.

2. Pete Werner LB Ohio St (A+) : We needed a LB and Werner is an accomplished LB that played great against a high level of competition in college. He has the traits to be a solid 2nd level defender and has the measurables to compete at the NFL level.

3. Paulson Adebo CB Stanford (A+) : We needed a CB in the worst way. This guy is a 3rd rounder with round one measurables and athletic scores. Tons of potential and still young and raw enough to be coached up.

4. Ian Book QB Notre Dame (A+) : We supposedly have a QB battle about to occur in 'Metry. Neither of the two competitors are sure things. So without a true face of franchise signal caller, we need to explore every avenue and look under every rock until we find our guy. It cost a 4th round pick, and a case can be made that we could've brought in a player at a more immediately useful position, but if he develops into a real life quality NFL starting QB... that's cheap cheap. Totally worth taking a shot.

5. Landon Young OT Kentucky (A+) : Like QB, CB, and DE... Quality starting OL are hard to find. This position group should be addressed every year. And unless you willing and able to spend a ransom in draft capital to get a blue chip, sometimes you have to draft for traits and build your own stud. Whether he makes it or not, a 6th round pick is always absolutely worth the shot.

6. Kawaan Baker WR South Alabama (A+) : We have a lot of similar WRs. That tells me that we kinda have a "type". All players at this stage in the draft have deficiencies and are basically long shots to make the team. Baker played against a lower level of competition than most of the name brand receivers in this draft, and that did him no favors this past weekend. Still... every now and again we hit on a late round or UDFA ball catcher. Could he be the next? His profile says he's a fighter. If his mental processing, physical attributes, and work ethic match that, he's got as good a chance as any to make the team and develop.

Total Grade: (A+) At every point in the draft, when it was our turn to draft Loomis, Payton, Ireland, and the gang chose the player they liked more than any other player available at that time. They're all Saints now so I'm a fan of all 6 guys and the UDFA's. Also, I'd like to note that none have fumbled away a trip to the superbowl, so I have no beef with any of them. Lets see what happens.
Jeff Ireland is that you??

Mine:

1. Payton Turner DE Houston (A+) : We wanted to move up and draft our top corner but couldn't not find a reasonable trade. So we went for the best player available according to OUR scouting. And as a bonus, it was a DE which is right up there with LT and CB when it comes to positional value.

2. Pete Werner LB Ohio St (A+) : We needed a LB and Werner is an accomplished LB that played great against a high level of competition in college. He has the traits to be a solid 2nd level defender and has the measurables to compete at the NFL level.

3. Paulson Adebo CB Stanford (A+) : We needed a CB in the worst way. This guy is a 3rd rounder with round one measurables and athletic scores. Tons of potential and still young and raw enough to be coached up.

4. Ian Book QB Notre Dame (A+) : We supposedly have a QB battle about to occur in 'Metry. Neither of the two competitors are sure things. So without a true face of franchise signal caller, we need to explore every avenue and look under every rock until we find our guy. It cost a 4th round pick, and a case can be made that we could've brought in a player at a more immediately useful position, but if he develops into a real life quality NFL starting QB... that's cheap cheap. Totally worth taking a shot.

5. Landon Young OT Kentucky (A+) : Like QB, CB, and DE... Quality starting OL are hard to find. This position group should be addressed every year. And unless you willing and able to spend a ransom in draft capital to get a blue chip, sometimes you have to draft for traits and build your own stud. Whether he makes it or not, a 6th round pick is always absolutely worth the shot.

6. Kawaan Baker WR South Alabama (A+) : We have a lot of similar WRs. That tells me that we kinda have a "type". All players at this stage in the draft have deficiencies and are basically long shots to make the team. Baker played against a lower level of competition than most of the name brand receivers in this draft, and that did him no favors this past weekend. Still... every now and again we hit on a late round or UDFA ball catcher. Could he be the next? His profile says he's a fighter. If his mental processing, physical attributes, and work ethic match that, he's got as good a chance as any to make the team and develop.

Total Grade: (A+) At every point in the draft, when it was our turn to draft Loomis, Payton, Ireland, and the gang chose the player they liked more than any other player available at that time. They're all Saints now so I'm a fan of all 6 guys and the UDFA's. Also, I'd like to note that none have fumbled away a trip to the superbowl, so I have no beef with any of them. Lets see what happens.
You can’t grade a draft until 3 years later. :)

We were in a bad place cap and draft placement-wise.

I don't know enough about our picks to second guess the coaches. But I'm thrilled we didn't mortgage the future to move up a few places just to get a guy the media and fans could be happier with.

We'll have a good team this year, wait and see.

I don't know enough about our picks to second guess the coaches. But I'm thrilled we didn't mortgage the future to move up a few places just to get a guy the media and fans could be happier with.

I agree with not doing anything stupid just to get a player. There were talk about moving way up there just to get a corner. Imagine the price to get this player. After hearing that, I am now glad we took a more conservative approach.

Can’t expect much when your drafting 28’th. I feel pretty confident that at least a couple of these guys will become starters (someday). Compared against league averages, that’s probably par for the course.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I think it is likely but not certain that Jamies will be the starter. I thought he would be the starter after Brees got hurt last year, but I was wrong, so I'm not just going to assume Jamies will be the starter....

Yes I can. I just did

Of course you can, it's just not really meaningful...fun for some I suppose though....

I agree with this, I think folks tend to overestimate Brees importance (at least the last 2 years version) and underestimate this team's very strong and mostly young core....

How can you be a bonafide 1st rounder but go in the 2nd round...wouldn't that make you a bonafide 2nd rounder? Chase Daniel was an undrafted free agent where Book was a 4th rounder that by all accounts analyst alike were clamoring about how they were hearing his name being mentioned here and Payton himself expressed the vision for drafting him and what he likes about the guy

He is not Drew Brees but he is Drew Brees esque and that's what got him drafted and as a 4th rounder that's pretty good value on a guy with his track record and competitive fire.
ATRAS and RAS ratings don't measure arm strength, football IQ, and some other intangibles, but I don't think Chase is a good comparison to Ian Book based on athleticism. Based on their RAS scores, Ian is a lot more athletic, so if he has the other traits of Chase, he still has a better chance to exceed Chase's career. Chase was known for his accuracy, and was a pretty good athlete, but Ian is a better athlete and is also accurate. Neither are known for having strong arms. Below are the RAS scores, and I threw Drew in for comparison:
2001QBDrew BreesPurdue6.057.74
2009QBChase DanielMissouri3.554.44
Ian BookQBNotre Dame7.38

I don't expect Ian to be a star, but I think he could win some games for us if forced into action. If Winston nor Taysom become our future, then I think we'll continue to look, but I think Ian will be at least as good or better than Chase.

I’m ok with this. I not really excited with this draft class but Deuce pointed out yesterday that none of these guys were picked to start right away anyway. He and Mike D thought the only one who may see the field this year is the DE and that would be 3rd down. Figured around 10 plays a game. Also says the DB may see some time in dime coverage but everyone else would be practice squad or not make it. Said saints don’t have very many openings on the team Pre draft.
Ya this makes no sense. We are not all world at every position and if you draft studs they start period. U don’t take developmental guys in every round. I’m not saying they did as I usually just trust the process but if none of them turn out to be pro bowl caliber the draft is not that strong. Some years we have had 3-4 pro bowl candidates. This years clsss needs 1-2

Draft night not be great name wise but to me if we moved to 9 for horn or surtain I woulda gave this draft an F. The cost would have been too much when we don’t know how good jameis is

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom