My expectations for the 2013 RB corps' performance. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Bogotá, Colombia - via - Metairie, LA, USA
We all know coach had a long season watching the games from the couch, and IMO he must've done a lot of reflecting on his prior seasons coaching this team and thought about what made the team the best is could be. His statement claiming his approach to the '13 season will be just like his approach to the '06 season in terms of acting like it's his first season as a head coach really resonated with me. I think he's noticed that the 2 most effective/complete seasons our offense had were in the 2 years we went the furthest in the playoffs: 2006 and 2009. IMO the biggest factor in our offense and teams' overall successes in those seasons was the fact that we had very good running games, and it made it hard for other teams to game plan against.

SP had to have taken note of that and apply it to this upcoming season. I also think that Ingram has been intentionally held back from getting a large quantity of touches early on in his career in order to perverse/extend his shelf life. After the '11 season SP even stated the only thing stopping Ingram from being OROY was the coach holding him back. 2013 will be the year that Ingram lives up to what we gave up in order to get him IMO.

I'm almost certain that our RBs and their performance will almost mirror what the 2006 squad achieved, but the RBs for the 2013 season will be better overall for the most part. Ingram will be the number one running option similar to Deuce; Sproles will play the same part that Reggie did; and PT will be their relief bc of his versatility.

This past season the distribution of touches btw the 3 main RBS was as such:

- Ingram had 38% of touches with 156 rushes / 602 yards / 5 TDs and 6 catches / 29 yards.

- Sproles had 29% of touches with 48 rushes / 244 yards / 1 TD and 75 catches / 667 yards / 7 TDs.

- PT had 34% of touches 105 rushes / 473 yards / 1 TD and 39 catches / 354 yards / 1 TD.

My idea of how next season will play out in terms of roles on the team:

- Ingram will play the same role that Deuce did, and of the RBs he'll receive about 50% of the overall touches and 65% of the handoffs/runs. He'll be the featured back getting the majority of the touches. In the '06 season Deuce has 244 carries / 1,057 yards / 10 TDs, and he only had 30 catches / 198 yards. I forsee Ingram having very similar or better numbers in '13 barring injury.

- Sproles will play the scat back role same as Reggie did. I think Sproles will get about 30% of the overall RBs' touches and 65% of the RB receptions. We've all seen that Sproles is a much more effective RB in that role than Reggie, obviously bc Reggie never came close to setting yardage records. Reggie's '06 rushing stats were 155 attempts / 565 yards / 6 TDs, and his receiving stats were 88 catches / 742 yards / 2 TDs.

- I think PT will be the relief back, and he is a far superior 3rd RB option than Aaron Stecker was. He can do a little bit of everything, but I do not see him getting as many touches as Ingram and Sproles. I still think he will get enough to be productive though. He will get the remainder of the touches, about 20% of the RB touches. I think his role will be about 2:1 running to receiving as a RB when he gets on the field.

I think PT is a very good RB and is capable of handling the workload of the #1 back, but he is going to be relegated to 3rd overall just bc of the other talent the team has at the same position. I just think SP sees more untapped potential in Ingram which is why I think he'll get more touches than any other back in 2013. This will be Ingram's year to shine if he can stay healthy, and Sproles will continue doing what he's always done in the 2 seasons he's been with us. Cadet will get some touches but not a whole lot if the 3 main RBs stay healthy.

The talent gap betwen PT and Ingram is about as wide as a crack in the sidewalk. I'd give the backs carries initially during a game to see which horse is kicking. I would then feed THAT guy with all the others playing a support role. I can almost guarantee that half the time that back will be PT.

The talent gap betwen PT and Ingram is about as wide as a crack in the sidewalk. I'd give the backs carries initially during a game to see which horse is kicking. I would then feed THAT guy with all the others playing a support role. I can almost guarantee that half the time that back will be PT.

I agree that if Ingram isn't doing well against a certain opponent than PT will come in to take the majority of the touches. I just think that one of the reasons out RBs struggled was bc of the lack of consistent consecutive carries the RBs got. From what SP has said about Ingram and the way he came on in the end of the year, I just see the coaches giving him the start and the majority of the touches if he proves effective against the opponent.

Ingram needs to be given a chance now and then to catch a pass out of the back field . If for no other reason to keep defenses honest! That's why PT is so dangerous, he can catch or run, leaving a receiver with 1 on 1, keeping the linebackers unsure of what's happening.

Ingram needs to get more touches so the Saints know what to do with him once his rookie deal is up

No, we're going to trade Ingram for a first round pick and make Ivory our 30-touches a game back, with PT getting 20 touches and Sproles breaking the all-purpose yards record again. Just check the board!

All joking aside, I think this is an accurate assessment. I feel like SP is going to lean on Ingram hard this year and he'll respond accordingly, posting big numbers and living up to his potential. Sproles will probably be the change of pace back and primarily a receiving threat for screens and dumpoffs. PT will most likely continue to be downsized in his role on the team (it's going to happen eventually) but I'd love to see him get a few drives per game as the sole RB on the field, catching out of the backfield, working in pass protection, and getting his own carries on first down and at the goal line.

Unfortunately I think Ivory's days with the team are numbered. He'll either be signed by someone else or traded away. He just isn't going to get the carries he deserves here. Cadet is likely being groomed as Sprole's replacement for years down the line, hence his time spent with the receivers during practice. I think he'll stay on the practice squad or stay inactive in reserve.

I agree whole heartedly with ur assessment.

People don't want to see the vision but Ingram was being groomed to be the lead back. This would be the year to unleash him.

I predict our running backs in 2013 will catch alot of passes and be active in blitz pickup and basic protection.

No, we're going to trade Ingram for a first round pick and make Ivory our 30-touches a game back, with PT getting 20 touches and Sproles breaking the all-purpose yards record again. Just check the board!

All joking aside, I think this is an accurate assessment. I feel like SP is going to lean on Ingram hard this year and he'll respond accordingly, posting big numbers and living up to his potential. Sproles will probably be the change of pace back and primarily a receiving threat for screens and dumpoffs. PT will most likely continue to be downsized in his role on the team (it's going to happen eventually) but I'd love to see him get a few drives per game as the sole RB on the field, catching out of the backfield, working in pass protection, and getting his own carries on first down and at the goal line.

Unfortunately I think Ivory's days with the team are numbered. He'll either be signed by someone else or traded away. He just isn't going to get the carries he deserves here. Cadet is likely being groomed as Sprole's replacement for years down the line, hence his time spent with the receivers during practice. I think he'll stay on the practice squad or stay inactive in reserve.

I'm hoping Ivory lands us a shiny new draft pick.

The way we Run our offense, Petterson would have a hard time being succesful. We have a outstanding passing attack.
Its hard for running backs on teams like the Saints, Packs and Patriots.

The way we Run our offense, Petterson would have a hard time being succesful. We have a outstanding passing attack.

Who is Petterson? :hihi:

I'm thinking that cadet will take a role of an underrated receiver, and ivory will remain our closer/backup until PTs legs quit kicking.

I'm predicting that our offense and RBs in particular will be run quite differently in '13 as opposed the past couple seasons. Payton will give the RBs their touches and not rotate them at such a rabid pace. I normally see no problem w RB by committee, but the way they've used it the past two seasons hasn't allowed the backs to get in their grooves to feel how the D is playing them. Backs like Ingram need several consecutive touches in order to get a feel for the game. This season off for Payton may have been the best way for him to learn how to better use his weapons. Quite often the best way to improve upon ones job is to look at it from afar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom