My final Pro Bowl rant (1 Viewer)

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I want to finish blowing off steam about the Pro Bowl's broken selection process. It's the offseason so what's the harm. We all know that worthy Saints were passed over for less qualified players. But this one...hmmm.

I peeked in on the Pro Bowl and if Drew was quarterbacking, I'd watch. Of the little bit I watched I saw several dropped passes. The Saint killer Greg Olsen dropped a third down perfect pass from Brees (always a Saint killer, I guess), but a couple of lame drops came from Dez Bryant. Then I started thinking, Dez Bryant, what is he doing here? I don't recall him having anything close to a pro bowl year.

Here are Dez's numbers vs. our own Willie Snead

Dez Bryant (13 games)
96 trgts
50 receptions
796 yds
15.9 yds/rec
8 tds
61.2 yds/game
52.1% catch percentage

Willie Snead (15 games)
104 trgts
72 receptions
895 yds
12.4 yds/rec
4 tds
59.7 yds/game
69.2% catch percentage

Snead, our THIRD receiver arguably had a better year than Dez Bryant. At worst, comparable.

Now, I'm not saying Snead should have gone to the Pro Bowl instead. But Dez was considered/picked before Cooks? or Thomas? Yeah, the process is flawed and has severely cheapened the honor of being a pro-bowl player.

Rant over. Thank you for your time. Back to your off-season.

The biggest difference to me is the touchdowns. 8 in 13 games vs 4 in 15 games. Otherwise its a totally valid observation. It's because Dez was on the hottest team in the league this year. Plenty of primetime games, media exposure etc. Thats what it comes down to. A popularity contest. I would rather see coaches or players vote for the pro-bowl. Like, actual, knowledgeable, football guys voting for who should be recognized as the best in the league that year.
But they want to get the fans more involved so this is what we get...

Based purely on stats, Cooks and Thomas both should have made the pro-bowl. No other excuse besides bias.

The Pro Bowl is a meaningless popularity contest.

We will get players in the Pro Bowl when we start winning

That and popularity seem to be the driving force, but that's the beef I have. If a Cleveland Brown player out performs everyone in his position, that player deserves to be in the pro bowl. It used to be and still should be based on performance. Usually, they're even more deserving because they're supporting cast sucks.

There were always a few glaring omissions, but now? :jpshakehead:

It used to mean something when someone had multiple ProBowls on their resume and it affects Hall of Fame consideration.

Jeff Saturday once made the pro bowl after being benched in week 4 where he remained the rest of the season. Name recognition goes a long way.

I honestly forget about the pro bowl 2 weeks before it happens.

I want to finish blowing off steam about the Pro Bowl's broken selection process. It's the offseason so what's the harm. We all know that worthy Saints were passed over for less qualified players. But this one...hmmm.

I peaked in on the Pro Bowl and if Drew was quarterbacking, I'd watch. Of the little bit I watched I saw several dropped passes. The Saint killer Greg Olsen dropped a third down perfect pass from Brees (always a Saint killer, I guess), but a couple of lame drops came from Dez Bryant. Then I started thinking, Dez Bryant, what is he doing here? I don't recall him having anything close to a pro bowl year.

Here are Dez's numbers vs. our own Willie Snead

Dez Bryant (13 games)
96 trgts
50 receptions
796 yds
15.9 yds/rec
8 tds
61.2 yds/game
52.1% catch percentage

Willie Snead (15 games)
104 trgts
72 receptions
895 yds
12.4 yds/rec
4 tds
59.7 yds/game
69.2% catch percentage

Snead, our THIRD receiver arguably had a better year than Dez Bryant. At worst, comparable.

Now, I'm not saying Snead should have gone to the Pro Bowl instead. But Dez was considered/picked before Cooks? or Thomas? Yeah, the process is flawed and has severely cheapened the honor of being a pro-bowl player.

Rant over. Thank you for your time. Back to your off-season.

Hey SB Boy

hope all is well with you and family. This is one reason I quit watching, I feel its more about W-L record and popularity. I was hoping Brees would of snubbed when called on as an alternate

Isn't the Pro Bowl still decided by fans voting?

If it is then it's our fault............:scratch:

The Pro Bowl is a meaningless popularity contest.

tumblr_n36tstQKDB1rfd0pgo1_400.gif

That and popularity seem to be the driving force, but that's the beef I have. If a Cleveland Brown player out performs everyone in his position, that player deserves to be in the pro bowl. It used to be and still should be based on performance. Usually, they're even more deserving because they're supporting cast sucks.

There were always a few glaring omissions, but now? :jpshakehead:

It used to mean something when someone had multiple ProBowls on their resume and it affects Hall of Fame consideration.

The results would be different if it were voted on by the players

The results would be different if it were voted on by the players

Not likely. Many of them vote for their friends due to the contract bonus many have for making the pro-bowl. I have also heard a player admit that he was on teams where they would agree to not vote for anyone on rival teams.

I say leave the vote to just coaches and they can't vote for anyone on their own team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom