My first black squirrel (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
finally got my first black squirrel ever. I've been wanting to shoot one for a long time. This guy is already at the taxidermist.

10404193_10152540052898603_6620760978421083933_n.jpg

Super cool. I have only seen one black squirrel my whole life. Washington parish north of bogalusa.

Jumped on this board by mistake & saw this. Pardon my interruption.

There were a ton of them near where I lived in Bastrop in Morehouse Parish...literally hundreds. They lived in a subdivision where there was no hunting (inside city limits). I loved seeing them. My late father was a big squirrel hunter & I had never seen one before these showed up & started multiplying in the 1990's.

Jan

Ive seen a few black squirrels on Stennis Space Center over the years. I hardly ever see red squirrels anymore. They were pretty common on the coast when I was young.

Super cool. I have only seen one black squirrel my whole life. Washington parish north of bogalusa.
We have them in this area (30 miles from the coast) but they are not prevalent. I've seen several over the years. Do they taste different than grey squirrel??

Ive seen a few black squirrels on Stennis Space Center over the years. I hardly ever see red squirrels anymore. They were pretty common on the coast when I was young.

I agree red squirrels have all but disappeared. I remember my dad would bring home both red & gray when I was a child. I remember they tasted the same. I would very interested to know if the blacks taste any different.

Jan

I live in a rural area near West Monroe LA and have a black squirrel that makes regular appearances. We have a feeder out and like to watch him and the other gray squirrels eat. I am a hunter and love squirrel meat but I wouldn't dream of shooting him. His situation reminds me of the albino deer that the hunter shot a couple of weeks ago that caused such a stir. IMO, he is too unique to have to die just because he is different.

I live in a rural area near West Monroe and have a black squirrel that makes regular appearances. We have a feeder out and like to watch him and the other gray squirrels eat. I am a hunter and love squirrel meat but I wouldn't dream of shooting him. His situation reminds me of the albino deer that the hunter shot a couple of weeks ago that caused such a stir. IMO, he is too unique to have to die just because he is different.

he may be unique to you or the area but black squirrels are not unique by any means. Northern and northeastern Ohio is full of them....it's all you see in the neighborhoods. Canada has a bunch of them too. They're basically a grey squirrel with a gene mutation for color. I also wouldn't hesitate to shoot an albino or pie bald deer either.

I actually saw 3 of them the day I shot him, but I only took him. I have 9 grays though that will be in a pot for the Falcons game.

Thanks for posting the pic, I had no idea there was black(phase) gray squirrels.

We now live in Flowermound, Tx. and we have hugh red squirrels in this area, I don't think these Texans hunt them because all they eat here is fast food and Mexican cheesy sos.

Also when we lived in Savannah, Ga we had a few light blond to white colored(gray) squirrels, but it was a rare accurance to see one.

Where I live in the mountains of North Carolina, we have white squirrels. Not albinos. True white color morphs of, I think, grey squirrels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom