My First Mock Draft (EVER!) (1 Viewer)

He plays Inside a lot but he has the power, quickness and hand use of Justin Smith as a potential 3-4 DE.

I project him differently than most other posters and don't see him as a NT alone. I think that he has all-pro potential like Smith because he is a pass rush prospect that can win with power. He's the only defensive player this year who I like more than Ansah. I think that CaliSaint is right that Ansah will go top 10 (or should) but I have no idea how he thinks that Lotuelei will slip so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co-NvKnZzvw

WK 17: Justin Smith highlights - NFL Videos

I'd trade extra picks to move up for a dominant power/bull rush player who I consider as far more valuable than speed guys alone like Sedrick Ellis in 2008.

No doubt. When he is on i dont think he can be stopped. Just wonder how much he will be on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

with that board id be really upset if we passed on damontre moore tbqh

Thanks man! I have a new respect for mocks after doing my own. Definitely a time sink.

lol @the time sink... Now u know why im always screaming headache afterwards..and u one for all 32 teams..well 31.

Really good Job. I was surprised to see Jonathan Banks make it past the bucks. If the bucks take Banks, and the Panthers take Richardson... Star would fall right in our laps.

He and maybe 2 passrushers are the only ones id sit@ 16 and take.

:plus-un2:

Not to be a flamer or anything but that mock is kind of weak.

Werner, Moore, and Mingo will not fall below us. And if Mingo, Moore and/or Werner is there when we pick I don't see us passing up all of them. Yes I know Werner is considered a 4-3 DE blah, blah, blah, but this guy is one of if not the top DE in this class. No way he drops out of the top 10 IMHO.

I definitely wouldn't mind up moving to get Star. I didn't do trades in this mock and I don't think he gets past Tampa or Carolina. I agree with you NOFALCONS, I think Star could play 1-tech, 3-tech, or 5-tech. Pick a scheme and put him in it. He's a better pass rusher than people give him credit for and he can flat out dominate a game. My only question about him is his arm length. That's something I'll be looking for at the combine over the weekend. After seeing Sed Ellis and his short arms, that is a killer for me at DT.

Oddly enough, arm length was a question with Justin Smith too (32 1/2").

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ogR9TKyNmWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Motor and pure power can do a lot to mask overshadow less than ideal length. Chandler Jones and JJ watt have tremendous arm length but Justin Smith compensates with stunts and by only giving tackles his outside shoulder most of the time at De. Ellis was a 3-tech mainly which hurts him more inside.

I contemplated taking Star at #3 for the Raiders, but I went with Joeckel - I spoke about my thought process on this a few post up. From there, here's what happened:

• Eagles have Landri, Patterson, Jenkins, and Cox and I don't think DE or pass rusher is a need for them at all.

• The Lions have Suh and Fairley for inside rush and Williams is there also. I thought their need was on the edge versus inside.

• The Browns have Rubin, Winn, and Taylor and I projected their need on the edge as well.

• The Cards have Dockett and Campbell at DE and the big kid out of Tennessee inside so no need there.

• The Bills have Darius and Kyle Williams.

• The Jets have Devito, Coples, and Wilkerson (who I absolutely LOVE), so they are set.

• Tennessee have Klug, Martin, and Casey so they are extremely set at DT. Another edge guy along with Morgan wouldn't hurt.

• The Chargers have Luiget, Kendall Reyes, and Cam Thomas inside - also they could resign Franklin. I also think an edge guy is a bigger need for them. LT is by far the biggest need that team has though. Have to protect Rivers.

• The Dolphins have Starks (who is a FA) and Soliai as DTs but could use a 3-tech. I'm not sure most people project Star as a 3-tech (I think he can play 1,3, or 5) but you could make a really good case that the Phins should take him.
And basically, that's how Star fell down as far as he did. I don't think it'll actually happen because he's too good, but that's just how things turned out. Also, in the OP I stated:I think that's exactly what happened. I do see your point though. This was an extremely unorthodox mock - putting it lightly.

For the Browns, Rubin played NT under Rob Ryan and Phil Taylor is a true NT also.

For the jets it's hard to project but Devito is a free agent.

For the chargers, Lotulelei is an upgrade over Luiget and Cam Thomas is a better NT.

Regardless, I'd like to see us trade a second or a first rounder to pick one of the top Defensive players like Star. Mostly all of the top 3-4 Defenses have at least one super star front 7 player, and while i think that hicks can be that guy here, if we are within striking distance of Lotulelei like in your scenario above I would love to go for a trade up.

No doubt. When he is on i dont think he can be stopped. Just wonder how much he will be on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
The potential is there.

To channel Gregg Williams, Aldon smith is going to be crying in his milk when Justin retires in a couple of years. If we can get our own version, I'd love to see the type of havoc he could cause here.

Here's a good article about Lotulelei
It is obvious that Star Lotulelei can bull rush—engaging half a man and rarely allowing opposing linemen a clean shot at his entire body. Offensive linemen are remarkably strong and you do not want, if you're a defensive lineman, to present such powerful athletes full access to your body. Lotulelei avoids this this by attacking his man's responsibility-side shoulder, getting skinny through the gap and then squaring up once positioned.
A solid, pounding bull rush sets up a plethora of moves and pass-rush conversions. We'll break down this sequence vs. BYU in 2012, in which he beautifully executed what we'll call a bull-jerk/swim conversion. The "conversion" indicates that the pass-rusher starts out with one move then converts to another when he deems it advantageous.

Is Star Lotulelei the Best Player in the 2013 NFL Draft? | Bleacher Report

Not to be a flamer or anything but that mock is kind of weak.
What about it is weak? At least provide some substance that can spark a conversation or debate. Also, did you read what I wrote above the mock in the OP?

Werner, Moore, and Mingo will not fall below us. And if Mingo, Moore and/or Werner is there when we pick I don't see us passing up all of them. Yes I know Werner is considered a 4-3 DE blah, blah, blah, but this guy is one of if not the top DE in this class. No way he drops out of the top 10 IMHO.
I understand your point. I'm not as high on Moore and Werner as some others are. I'm not in love with Moore's get off and I know it has been beat to death but if you watch some of his play, a lot of what he does is based of hustle. As for Werner he has a much better get off and is a good player, but he may be better in an even front.

Oddly enough, arm length was a question with Justin Smith too (32 1/2").

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ogR9TKyNmWg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Motor and pure power can do a lot to mask overshadow less than ideal length. Chandler Jones and JJ watt have tremendous arm length but Justin Smith compensates with stunts and by only giving tackles his outside shoulder most of the time at De. Ellis was a 3-tech mainly which hurts him more inside.
I totally agree with you and when I made the short arms comment, I thought about Justin Smith. The thing about Smith is that he has FREAKISH power. The guy has to be on some type of steroid that hasn't been discovered with his bull rush. I just think that most inside guys should have longer arms since they don't get to operate in a lot of space and long arms are the best way to create that space. With that said, Lotulelei has that freakish strength and he can be flat out dominant at times. If he's our pick, I'd be a happy camper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom